PDA

View Full Version : cancelled mindee today/non-payment?

bluebell3
11-08-2011, 03:45 PM
Didn't have my mindee today. :( They cancelled because he'd been overdoing it and was a bit worn out. He was still asleep when the mum phoned at 9.30. Bit disappointed because Ive really enjoyed having him and had set some nice things up for morning but was also glad that I had a day to be with my kids. Is that wrong?
I was also thinking as I spoke to mum that I bet she won't pay for todays session even though in contracts it states that I expect payment for this situation. I don't want to make an issue of it - she's a bit scatty anyway - always forgets his bag, has never sent him with lunch (I just feed him with my kids now) has never stuck to the agreed times (is late dropping off, picks up early) I've known her for 30 years and lives a few doors up so I don't want any bad feelings. I'm also relying on her for word of mouth to give me a good name to others who may be looking for childcare as we are seriously oversubscribed with new childminders around here who are all struggling to fill their vacancies. BUT I feel like I want to run a professional service, ok I've got a job and I do childminding part-time but I still need to be paid! How would you deal with non-payment? or possible non-payment? I'm tempted just to leave it but just wanted some advice please.

AliceK
11-08-2011, 03:51 PM
Well all my parents get monthly invoices in advance so that day would have already been paid for. It sounds like she is paying you in arrears? If you do an invoice just make sure today is included in it for payment otherwise if you don't do invoices then when she pays you for this week if she has deducted todays amount just explain nicely that as is normal practice for childminding and also stated in your contract, childs days off are still payable.

xxxx

miffy
11-08-2011, 04:59 PM
I agree with Alice - if she's paying in arrears invoice it as usual and see if she queries it, if she does then just explain that once booked all sessions must be paid for even if the child doesn't attend.

Please don't be tempted to let this one go - if you do you will find it harder to insist on payment if it happens again. At the end of the day you are running a business - you were available to work and parent chose not to use your service.

Keep it business like especially as you are neighbours.

Miffy xx

blue bear
11-08-2011, 06:02 PM
She does send lunch, turn up at agreed times etc because you have not pulled her up on it enough, if you let the fees go for no show she is bound to repeat that too. I would just say it is still payable and if she queries it you could then negotiate to suit you both, eg let off this time but clear about future charges.
I have had parents mis interpret contract and never had bad feeling when I brought it up.