PDA

View Full Version : Am I being unfair - 18 month old

claire'scherubs
11-08-2011, 02:48 PM
I have an 18month old who is CONSTANTLY walking round with everything he can possibly in his mouth.

I keep reminding him to take it out, which he duly does, then as soon as I look away its back in there

Well to top it off today, he had a tractor in his mouth, I asked him to take it out, which he did, and then a few minutes later was back in his mouth, as he tripped over!!!! YES!!!!! blood everywhere!!!! Split his lip and cut the inside of his mouth.:eek:

Did all the necessary, checked him over and he was fine, accident book and phoned mum, she was fine about it

Along with the fact that I knew this was going to happen sooner or later its a constant dribble and clean up behind him. Its the same when he eats, everything is rammed into his mouth as quick as he can physically get it in there, and then his hands are in the food and smearing all over himself and the table and throwing it on the floor, no attempt at using a spoon

My question is am I being unrealistic thinking he should be out of this stage by now and if Im not then ideas please

sarah707
11-08-2011, 03:20 PM
some children are very sensory learners and will continue to mouth things well after others stop.

I know how hard it can be when there's a constant dribble I have looked after some very wet children over the years.

Does he have a dummy at home? I wonder if he is filling his mouth with something to compensate.

With food, I find it helpful to give sandwiches, bits of fruit etc in very small amounts, one mouthful at a time... swallow and give the next. That helps the child to learn about portion control and stops the choking risk.

I hope it's just a phase! xx

christine e
11-08-2011, 03:22 PM
I think 18months is still very young and this time of behaviour is not uncommon. As for ideas well on the food front I would break food into tiny bits and only give a little bit at a time, as for toys you can only supervise and keep reminding not to put in mouth.

Cx

Trouble
11-08-2011, 03:35 PM
i agree with others tiny amounts:thumbsup:

mrsbonnet
11-08-2011, 04:15 PM
I have kept my daughter's dribble bibs and use them if I have a dribbler on my hands. She had quite a few so I don't have take a boy out of the house wearing a pink one!

handeme
11-08-2011, 04:18 PM
My mindee is exactly the same, when i ask him to take whatever out of his mouth he throws it accross the room, resulting in dribble everywhere so lovley :rolleyes:

c x

claire'scherubs
11-08-2011, 09:02 PM
Thanks everyone, I know I am asking for a lot and knew you would put me straight.

Think I was just frustrated at the accident, hate it when they have one.

Food.....yes I do and have done that for a long time now, offering one bit at a time and smaller pieces

Oh well onward and upward xx

khlwomitchell
11-08-2011, 09:08 PM
Maybe if my 18mth son put stuff in his mouth he would dribble less!
My son only just using spoon, it is a bit soon, but if you get a sucky bottom bowl he'll try and get better.
My son eats exactly the same as my 3 and 5 yr old kids, quarter ham sarnines, rice cakes, biccies, cheese straws, but teeth dependant, some are totally gummy still and others have molars.
Poor boy will have to learn or maybe keep all hard edged smallish toys away for a bit? though no doubt he'll find something else xx