PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a business name?

bluebell3
11-08-2011, 01:09 PM
Hi I was wondering how many of you had a business name? I have a business name in mind as it would link to my logo which is quite recognisable and on all my signage and so on.
I thought it might be a good way of standing out rather than just being a name.
I was wondering as well whether you had to notify Ofsted to the change? I would still be me the person who is registered but I would be advertising as something else so I wondered if my registration certificate would need my name and then a 'known as...' or 'trading as...'

BuggsieMoo
11-08-2011, 01:14 PM
Hi
I use a business name - namely Lisa's Ladybirds and all my paperwork, business cards and advertising is done under that. However with Ofsted it is still by my name. You don't need to be registered as a business name with Ofsted as it is you who is registered. Hope that makes sense.
Lisa x

bluebell3
11-08-2011, 03:19 PM
Thank you Lisa - so I can just start calling myself something different? Thats good !!
do you think it makes you more recognisable to prospective parents and that you stand out?

BuggsieMoo
11-08-2011, 04:00 PM
Yes to be honest I do. I have bags, pens and workwear with my name and logo on. I use the bag and workwear to do school runs etc so I stand out as being a childminder. x

handeme
11-08-2011, 04:09 PM
I am Tiny Hands Childminding. I have it all on my paperwork buisness cards etc, have been thinking for a while whether to get a T-Shirt printed for school runs. Does it generate any buisness for you (at the moment I dont have any school runs so going to pick my LO would be ideal with a T-Shirt on.

c x

Mamma4Ya
11-08-2011, 04:11 PM
I shall be running under a business name, with logo, uniform etc. I think it looks more professional if you have a brand and like Lisa says it helps you stand out. I will also me registering the name in order to keep it unique to me. :)

Mamma4Ya
11-08-2011, 04:16 PM
I am Tiny Hands Childminding. I have it all on my paperwork buisness cards etc, have been thinking for a while whether to get a T-Shirt printed for school runs. Does it generate any buisness for you (at the moment I dont have any school runs so going to pick my LO would be ideal with a T-Shirt on.

c x

Can't answer that one about generating business for childminding but when I had my cleaning business until this year we wore polo shirts with the name on and i was amazed by the work we got from people asking for cards when I popped into the supermarket etc.

So I will definately be doing the same when I start childminding. :) I will also have the website displayed on my car as this is a great form of free advertising (after the initial cost) :)

BuggsieMoo
11-08-2011, 04:16 PM
I shall be running under a business name, with logo, uniform etc. I think it looks more professional if you have a brand and like Lisa says it helps you stand out. I will also me registering the name in order to keep it unique to me. :)

How do you register a name so it is unique to you. I did speak to companies house but they were no use x

BuggsieMoo
11-08-2011, 04:17 PM

c x

Yes it does. I have given out plenty of business cards and had plenty of enquiries. x

Toothfairy
11-08-2011, 04:20 PM
I am 'Stay & Play Childcare', my logo is four Jigsaw pieces. I use this on my paperwork and my business cards.

handeme
11-08-2011, 05:03 PM
were do you all get your 'uniforms' from?

x

BuggsieMoo
11-08-2011, 05:16 PM
I got mine from Vistaprint x

Tam's Tribe
11-08-2011, 05:20 PM
We are called Tam's Tribe and I really feel it helps give the children an identity within the setting plus instead of calling each children by name when it is time to go, or dinner time, mainly when out and about . . . I just call Tam's Tribe and they all come running to me . . . very useful when you have 8 children . . . and for safety while walking, etc as we can react quickly as I will just say Tam's Tribe Stop or Walk.

Even my 2 and 3 year olds understand and have a sense of belonging . . . like at soft play areas I will say to them, call all the children for lunch and they will shout 'Tam's Tribe Lunch' . . . it is very cute.

Definately useful for paperwork and merchanise especially if you are gonna sticker up your car, or wear work clothing! Reminds you that you ARE running your own business!

It is also about building a brand!! . . . I realised that when I heard a child in school after care say to his friend "I wish I was in Tam's Tribe" . . . bless him, he broke my heart!!!

Everyone is in the Tam's Tribe family and we all help and look after each other.

Rain or Shine
11-08-2011, 06:29 PM
I'm Rain or Shine childminding, I have also got tops, bags, pens and other business bits from Vistaprint x

Mamma4Ya
11-08-2011, 07:06 PM
How do you register a name so it is unique to you. I did speak to companies house but they were no use x

With the National Business Register http://www.start.biz/home.htm

green4lynn
11-08-2011, 08:43 PM
My business name is Second-2-Mum! My hubby designed my logo after I'd come up with the name. He did my web-site too, he's good for something!!!!

Lynn x

Chimps Childminding
11-08-2011, 09:31 PM
My business name is Second-2-Mum! My hubby designed my logo after I'd come up with the name. He did my web-site too, he's good for something!!!!

Lynn x

Great name!!! :thumbsup:

BuggsieMoo
12-08-2011, 08:47 AM
With the National Business Register http://www.start.biz/home.htm

Thank you x

Rain or Shine
12-08-2011, 10:09 AM
I wanna register mine but am not sure if others have the same name.

Pixie dust
12-08-2011, 10:34 AM
how much does it cost to register your business name?

desiderata
12-08-2011, 10:40 AM
Mines Wriggles and Giggles named by one of my parents as she says the children are always wriggling and giggling!! I designed a logo for my paperwork and my t shirts which I embroider myself and my daughter is making my website as shes training to be a graphic designer!5487

Tink
12-08-2011, 10:49 AM
My sister chose my business name Hazey Dayz Childminding. My surname is Hayes so it fitted really well. I love my logo which you can see in my avatar :)

WibbleWobble
12-08-2011, 10:50 AM
i am Seedlings.

i decided on the name cos i have an allotment....made sense. i designed my own logo too.

mandy xx

Tracy123
12-08-2011, 12:20 PM
I'm Tracy's Treehouse childminding services with a logo i made myself of a treehouse with children either side. I have it on business cards, posters, some of paperwork and on t-shirts (which i wear everyday to save my own clothes from getting covered in food, snot, paint etc...:laughing: ) Everyone recognises me as my business name and comment on it all the time!! :D

Mamma4Ya
12-08-2011, 03:49 PM
how much does it cost to register your business name?

I think I paid £88 pus vat but you do need to do it every year.

Helen Dempster
12-08-2011, 04:42 PM
My business name is Bubbles and Burps Childminding :D Alot of people have commented on how they like it and what a great name it is :clapping:

lfishwick
12-08-2011, 06:21 PM
I am Little Fishes childcare - it is because my surname is Fishwick and my husband and I have always just called each other fish for nicknames - so Little Fishes seemed logical to me!!
My teenage sons hate it ... which makes me like it even more lol

Mookins
12-08-2011, 08:28 PM
Im Little Squiggles Childminding :clapping: i use a logo/picture from VISTA chose the name after something my dd said about her picture being just squiggles lol

i love my little squigglers, we also have fifi the squiggle bus lol
xx

bluebell3
12-08-2011, 08:33 PM
wow thanks for all the information. I can't believe its so expensive to register a business name and then have to re-register it every year!!! I am thinking of something which incorporate my logo and then has childcare in the name! I am thinking on it for a while to see how it sits and if other people like it. you have some really great names.

Mamma4Ya
13-08-2011, 06:05 AM
wow thanks for all the information. I can't believe its so expensive to register a business name and then have to re-register it every year!!! I am thinking of something which incorporate my logo and then has childcare in the name! I am thinking on it for a while to see how it sits and if other people like it. you have some really great names.

The reason for the fee is so high is that if someone else uses your name they help fight your corner.

bluebell3
13-08-2011, 07:59 AM
oh right - would you say its worth registering it then? I am thinking for that price that initially I might not register straight away. Is it compulsory to register?

Mamma4Ya
13-08-2011, 12:57 PM
oh right - would you say its worth registering it then? I am thinking for that price that initially I might not register straight away. Is it compulsory to register?

No its not compulsory to register your business name but you risk someone else using it and then suing you if they have the same name as you, and are in the same business as you, as they can say that you are passing off as their business.

You can always go to the website and search for your name to make sure nobody else is using it that is in the same business as you.

As most Childminders tend to use their own name in the business name I dont think it will cause much of a problem, its not as though you are going to expand all over the country! I will not be using my own name so I just like to cover my own back.

bluebell3
14-08-2011, 07:39 AM
do you think it would be cheeky them to register the first year so that you have documentation and proof that you had that name from 2011 but then not renew the registration? I'm still not sure whether its worth registering!!
like you say I am only a local business and I have googled the name and looked in local business directories so I know the name doesn't clash with anyone. There are some other businesses in other parts of the country that relate to other industries but mine will specify 'childcare' as part of the name so I'm not really worried that there will be a clash with names. My logo is my own as I designed it based on a painting by my son.

lulubelle
15-08-2011, 06:53 PM
we are lulubelles (most people call me lu or lulu and my auntie always calls me lulubelle!)

Mamma4Ya
18-08-2011, 10:02 AM
do you think it would be cheeky them to register the first year so that you have documentation and proof that you had that name from 2011 but then not renew the registration? I'm still not sure whether its worth registering!!
like you say I am only a local business and I have googled the name and looked in local business directories so I know the name doesn't clash with anyone. There are some other businesses in other parts of the country that relate to other industries but mine will specify 'childcare' as part of the name so I'm not really worried that there will be a clash with names. My logo is my own as I designed it based on a painting by my son.

It doesnt work like that you have to be registered at that time, its mostly for bigger companies. I registered as I ran a domestic cleaning company and didn't want others using my name but it is only protected for 12 months.

chez
09-09-2011, 08:30 AM
This threads got me thinking about names Id love a setting name any ideas?
my name is Cheryl but not alot goes with that.

munch149
09-09-2011, 09:22 AM
This threads got me thinking about names Id love a setting name any ideas?
my name is Cheryl but not alot goes with that.

shine with cheryl

Newbie1!
09-09-2011, 03:07 PM
Cheryl's Cherrubs....?!?

Well, my name is Amber Childminding - nothing at all to do with my actual name but the area I live in - and also wanted something starting with an 'A' so im higher in the phone book! :laughing: