PDA

View Full Version : OMG parent caused tears at lunchtime

foxy lady
11-08-2011, 11:20 AM
i have 2 siblings age 5 & 4 when they came in this morning mum tells me that there frubes are out of date when i went to look at them at lunch time they are 8 days out of date and i have refused to let the children eat them here, well we have had tears screaming and tantrums but im not going to give in. would you give children yoghurt 8 days out of date ??????????

AliceK
11-08-2011, 11:23 AM
No way. I don't even give them yogurt that's 1 day out of date. Yuck!! I wouldn't mess with dairy being out of date :panic:

xxxx

Mamma4Ya
11-08-2011, 11:24 AM
:eek: :eek: I am a stickler for sticking to dates, I check my fridge regularly and also the cupboards and the following day it goes in the bin.

onceinabluemoon
11-08-2011, 11:24 AM
No, definitely not.

Listeria can develop and grow in out of date yoghurt.

Listeria can be fatal :(

Tealady
11-08-2011, 12:00 PM
I would never give a child anything past it's use by date.

My husband will always eat the out of date yoghurts in our house, his choice and as he's a grown up (allegedley ;) ) he has a stonger immune system, but even he wouldn't eat yoghurt that's out of date by 8 days.

littletreasures
11-08-2011, 12:44 PM
I wouldn't give minded children anything out of date - especially 8 days!!!!

We do eat yoghurts which are only a day out though, in this house, but nothing more than that

bluebell3
11-08-2011, 12:45 PM
I'm confused as to why the mum told you they were out of date? if she knew why did she give them to you? That's very strange and I wouldn't want any child to eat dairy 8 days over either!
Had she frozen them and taken them out? - one mum did this the other day to me and said they were out of date by a month but only because she'd frozen them!

maryp0ppins
11-08-2011, 12:58 PM
:eeeek: :eeeek: :eeeek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

BuggsieMoo
11-08-2011, 01:05 PM
We eat out of date meat etc because we freeze it whilst it is still in date and take it out on the day we need it - thus making it safe to eat. We used to freeze milk if we had too much but found that it went quite watery after wards.

However, I would never give a 'fresh' produce that was out of date to any child. My husband also eats somethings that have gone out of date but he has the stomach of an ox and if he gives himself a bad tummy then he is too blame - I do however advise against this to him!

clio0602
11-08-2011, 01:14 PM
I was actually wondering if she'd frozen them. I freeze them and take them out and put in lunch boxes and they would prob be times they are out of date but only as they had been frozen.

Wouldn't give mindees tho!

singlewiththree
11-08-2011, 01:49 PM
I was actually wondering if she'd frozen them. I freeze them and take them out and put in lunch boxes and they would prob be times they are out of date but only as they had been frozen.

Wouldn't give mindees tho!

I'm the same I freeze them for my girls and by lunch time they are probably defrosted and out of date

murrayspud
11-08-2011, 02:00 PM
I wouldn't unless as has already been said, it had been frozen first. I am really funny about out of date dairy products - they have to go. My husband and everyone around me thinks I am strange for throwing them out!!!!:eek: I get "told" yoghurts are ok unless the lid is bulging :panic:

I wouldn't touch them - that is what the Use by date is there for - if not used by that date throw it out, it's no good.

Kathryn x

Mouse
11-08-2011, 02:02 PM
Like some of the others, I wonder if they'd been frozen?

In my healthy eating policy I have it written that I won't serve out of date food, so if parents are sending something that has been frozen, they must tell me, otherwise I will throw it away.

Daisy1956
11-08-2011, 02:12 PM
Why send them with out of date food is she hoping you will replace it. I would never give children out of date food wouldn't eat it myself either., and if they had been frozen surely she would have said. Still you're the baddy for trying to
keep them safe and healthy.

Trouble
11-08-2011, 03:38 PM
Dont do out of date anything:panic:

or very soggy fruit :panic: :panic: :panic:

i bin them and replace them with nice new and tell the parents

miffy
11-08-2011, 04:54 PM
Oh yuck, no wouldn't give anything out of date to mindees or anyone else.

Miffy xx

charleyfarley
11-08-2011, 05:00 PM
I've had to throw mouldy snadwiches away in the past :panic: :panic:

Made sure I told the parent too!!!!

Carol xx

zillervalley
11-08-2011, 05:42 PM
they may have been frozen but the mum should have said that they had been, otherwise she shouldnt have sent them

did you tell her that their was tears?
ziller

Lincsminder
11-08-2011, 07:29 PM
Surely I cant be the only one that eats out of date food. I wont even begin to tell you the date on the eggs we just had for tea. The dates are only a guide, most things if kept in the right condition eg the fridge/freezer or cool cupboard will last a lot longer than the date suggests. I allways use my instinct and smell/ look at the produce before deciding if it is fit to eat. And guess what I havn't had a day off ill in 10 years and have a very healthy family who are also never ill, I think they have only been sick a handful of times and that is generally when half the school are off with a tummy bug so nothing to do with the food we eat lol.:laughing:

Rubybubbles
11-08-2011, 08:23 PM
you did the right thing, what if mindie then came out with icky tummy, who's to blame? Mum for providing or you for giving?

Lincs minder, nope as food never lasts long enough in this house:laughing: I do eat meat thats been frozen, but I am sad and put a sticky label on for when I put it in so I can rotate! Hubby always buys loads of mince for some reason!

khlwomitchell
11-08-2011, 08:31 PM
Surely I cant be the only one that eats out of date food. I wont even begin to tell you the date on the eggs we just had for tea. The dates are only a guide, most things if kept in the right condition eg the fridge/freezer or cool cupboard will last a lot longer than the date suggests. I allways use my instinct and smell/ look at the produce before deciding if it is fit to eat. And guess what I havn't had a day off ill in 10 years and have a very healthy family who are also never ill, I think they have only been sick a handful of times and that is generally when half the school are off with a tummy bug so nothing to do with the food we eat lol.:laughing:

LOVE IT!
dispite having worked in catering all working life until kids i still eat stuff, in date or not! for me milk has at least four days after useby if skimmed or semi, in the end its the fat that goes rancid! won't touch reheated too much or rice as they get nasty, but yeah eggs toatlly, i get fresh ones from my neightbour but will eat them weeks and weeks later sometimes, if it doesn't walk out the pan it's edible!
To be fair though i'd have opened it and sniffed first out of curiosity but if you had a food poisioning outbreak you'd have to tell ofsted!!

love381
11-08-2011, 11:57 PM

We are the same!! We eat things that are past their 'best' date!! Again, it's an instinct thing, you can kind of tell. Frubes are Fromage Frais, so slightly different to yoghurt. I think the longest out of date that's still been 'ok' for us on frubes was 5 days though!! I'm sure I binned a six day one a few weeks back. Saying that though, they don't last that long in here at the minute. I have some fussy eaters (my chicken boy, his sister and a few others) and they can go through three each (more if I'd let them) at EVERY meal!! That can be 9 per person per day sometimes!!!! x

snufflepuff
12-08-2011, 07:26 AM
I'm not overly fussy about dates myself, depending on what food it is- but for children i'm more careful. I wouldn't have given it to them.

little chickee
12-08-2011, 07:44 AM
I have a fairly relaxed attitude to use by and especially best before dates but...................................

Will admit to being very ill a couple of weeks ago with food poisoning by eating pre packed cooked chicken past its used by date. I actually had an inkling when i was eating it that it was past is best but for some unknown reason still ate it.

i was very ill all night, had to take the day off work and wasnt really better until about 4 days later.

I am a wee bit more carsful now. But as someone said if it looks and smells ok its more than likely ok.

My chicken did have a slightly funny smell!!!!!

Donkey
12-08-2011, 09:09 AM
for all those that eat past best before and use by...

doing for yourself and your family is fine, but for minded children if you are providing food is an absolute no no!!!

if you have an outbreak of suspected food poisoning you will have to report to environmental health and ofsted, they will then investigate, look at your food receipts which you must save...

if they then find out you gave food out of the dates then you could be found negligent and lose your registration!!!!!!!

snufflepuff
12-08-2011, 09:36 AM
for all those that eat past best before and use by...

doing for yourself and your family is fine, but for minded children if you are providing food is an absolute no no!!!

if you have an outbreak of suspected food poisoning you will have to report to environmental health and ofsted, they will then investigate, look at your food receipts which you must save...

if they then find out you gave food out of the dates then you could be found negligent and lose your registration!!!!!!!

Agreed! I won't even risk it with my own son let alone a minded child.