PDA

View Full Version : Linked fire detectors?

jadavi
11-08-2011, 11:19 AM
Hi I hope someone can help me.
We are going for approval at my Ofsted registration for overnight care as we have a client waiting to use me.
The room would be at the top of our 3 storey victorian terrace house and my ECM advisor said to ask the fire dept as she was worried about fire risk etc. The fire dept don't visit for this sort of thing but the man gave me a lot of info on the phone and one tip was to use linked detectors as if the kitchen cathes fire - all the alarms will ring thru the house.
he said there are some very expensive one so watch out.
Can anyone recommend a good provider? I don't want to pay a lot if poss as we've already paid out a lot! he said you could do it manually with cable (groan) or wireless.....
Hope someone has good news for me!!!

jackie

Optimalstar
11-08-2011, 11:40 AM
I've got linked ones but as they're electric with battery back up I had an electrician fit mine. He also purchased them so no idea what they are (not helpful I guess). It was a while ago too.

How come your fire dept don't do them? We had a fire September, long story but the fire dept. sent a fire officer who offered to replace all my smoke alarms. Which reminds me I ought to give her a ring as when changing the battery a few weeks back I struggled so new ones would be good.

Sam x

www.samanthachildminder.co.uk

jadavi
11-08-2011, 04:44 PM
Hi re-posting this as desperate!

Can anyone recommend a fair priced good radio linked smoke detector? I googled and safelincs seems to be the top seller? Ranges from £36 to £136 so would like to hear from users if anyione has experience of them.

The good news is that they would have no reason to turn me down for overnight care if I install them as they are considered so safe.

pinkbutterfly
11-08-2011, 04:49 PM
I have smoke detectors like that in my house. We had to get them in order to pass building reg when we converted our loft. The builder only realised when the building reg inspector came and didn't pass because we had battery operated ones. They have to be wired in ... the electrician was very careful as we just decorated but after the visit we had to retouch in places. He connected them next to our landing lights so they all take power from mains but have a rechargeable battery fitted as well as back up. When one goes off all go off shortly after (a split second). Mine looks exactly like one of these http://www.safelincs.co.uk/Ei160-Series-230V-Radio-Interlinked-Alarms-with-Daisy-Chain-Feature-and-Re-chargeable-Lithium-Backup-Battery/ . The thing with those detectors is (just like with others) that they have to be replaced. We put them in in 2005 and we have to replace the units in 2015 and it's not cheap.
Before putting them in I would double check with Ofsted if you really need them.
I remember when I was registering I called local fire brigade to come and have a look at the alarms. My council offers a free visit to residents. They also didn't want to involve as I was a business .... I then said ok then come to me as a home owner then ... I sweetened them up a bit and promised a big cake and a cuppa. They came with the whole gear (I thought it would be one man in a small car) neighbour's kids had fun checking out the fire engine. And all the firemen were good looking :blush: Maybe I'll move and call them again ...

jadavi
11-08-2011, 05:12 PM
Thanks PB.
I understood that if it was radio it was wireless..??
Maybe someone will be able to recommend them.
Safelincs seems OK
Thanks for your answer. My fire dept guy was clear about no visits.....

pinkbutterfly
11-08-2011, 05:43 PM
Yes radio means wireless but only wireless in the sense that there is no wire between the units. The units still have to be wired in next to the light in order to operate.
With regards to visits ... I suggest you look at your council's website. Mine offers this http://www.surreycc.gov.uk/sccwebsite/sccwspages.nsf/LookupWebPagesByTITLE_RTF/Home+fire+safety+visit?opendocument but as I said I wasn't too wise to let on I'm operating a business at home as they didn't want to come out to start with and it took some convincing to change their mind.

rickysmiths
11-08-2011, 11:17 PM
Thanks PB.
I understood that if it was radio it was wireless..??
Maybe someone will be able to recommend them.
Safelincs seems OK
Thanks for your answer. My fire dept guy was clear about no visits.....

Why won't they visit? It is your family home and all Fire Brigades do Home Safety Checks Free. I would speak to them again and ask for a visit when you are not working if they are stiffy about you working at home.

Our local Brigade came out when I was working. I got a fellow cm to come alone to keep an eye on my lot while they did the check and spoke to me. They pulled the Engine up on my drive, I do have a big driove!! Let the children on it, got the hoses out it was great fun. One of the Fire men was a Registered Childminder as well.:thumbsup:

Sorry can't help with the alarms. We had a huge extention built last summer and had all the smoke alarms and heat dectector in the kitchen hard wired in while we had no celings.