PDA

View Full Version : Play house/ summer house

snufflepuff
11-08-2011, 10:03 AM
Does anyone have a playhouse in their garden? What age would you say the children get too old/ too tall for it? We were thinking of getting one for DS (would love one of those lovely wooden ones that are raised off the ground with a little ladder to get in etc) but they aren't cheap. He's quite a tall lad so i'm worried he will grow out of it quickly.
I'm wondering if maybe a proper summer house might be a better idea? More money but would last a lot longer, and OH and I can use it when DS is older/ if I stop minding. We couldn't get anything too huge because the garden isn't that big. But I could turn it in to a little outdoor playroom, which would free up our spare room (which is currently filled to bursting with toys but is too small to actually use as a playroom.....we will need this bedroom for a second baby one day anyway.) Does anyone have a summer house that the children use? Does it work well? Do you find that you manage to use it all year round?

Milli147
11-08-2011, 10:15 AM
I would go for the summer house, they can play in it and if you get one with a little verandah/deck bit at the front you could set up activities outside even if its raining/boiling! Oh I want one now!
We used to have a wooden playhouse, not on stilits but quite big with an upstairs, dd grew out of it by 4/5 and it just got used for storage.
Also with a summerhouse you can be in there too and use it as a whole other play area.

Chimps Childminding
11-08-2011, 10:21 AM
I have a small playhouse, but to be honest the schoolies have to duck to get in it!! I bought a shed from B&Q! Its 7'x7' and have a canopy overhang so it doesn't look quite so much like a shed. The older ones love it as its big enough that they are able to stay in there when its raining outside! Its got a toy kitchen and little stools and cushions so they can sit and look at boks etc.

Mouse
11-08-2011, 10:22 AM
If you've got the money & space for a summer house, I'd go for that. You'll get much more use out of it long term.

Also, some of the playhouses get incredibly hot in the summer and need to doors wedging open to try & let some air in.

Greengrass74
11-08-2011, 10:36 AM
We have a wooden playhouse which is used by all ages all year.

We set it up differantly each week, this week it is a Music room, we have had a vets, a shop, school, post office etc we have even had it as the TARDIS. :thumbsup:

At xmas I put up lights, snow, gnomes and decorations and it becomes a grotto.

fionamal
11-08-2011, 10:53 AM
We bought a summerhouse at Easter which is fab, alot better than the wooden playhouses as we can use it too for BBQs etc at weekends and sit in it at nights.

The kids love it and have their art all displayed on the walls . We have a 2seater and 2 single chairs in it and a coffee table, put laminate florring down too so its more like a proper room. the afterschoolers love going out there with the music on and playing away from the little ones.

So glad we chose that option as it will last for years

sweets
11-08-2011, 11:52 AM
oh i would def go for a summerhouse, i got one earlier in the year and its great, the children love it and spend ages in there, much bigger than a playhouse and was more economical too.

if this link works some some pics of mine on this thread

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=81011

Chimps Childminding
11-08-2011, 01:15 PM

We set it up differantly each week, this week it is a Music room, we have had a vets, a shop, school, post office etc we have even had it as the TARDIS. :thumbsup:

Love the idea of changing the theme, especially the grotto one!! May have to pinch that idea :D in december obviously :blush:

georgie456
11-08-2011, 02:30 PM

We do this too - this week it is the 'Nature Hut'!
I have a wooden playhouse that I bought with a network grant a couple of years ago. The children make lots of pictures for it which are laminated and stuck on the walls. I also use it for our displays so they are not up in my living room which keeps DH happy and makes the playhouse look lovely.
We have just carpeted ours and filled it with beanbags and as I speak the older ones are out there on their DS' while it pours with rain outside, getting some respite from the toddlers!!
Our playhouse is 6ft by 7ft and gets used by all children all year round. I wouldn't be without it now!

nannysue
11-08-2011, 02:45 PM
We have used a proper big double door shed , complete with window that can open Its painted bright blue and then the panels of the door are all different colours( another use for tester pots!!:thumbsup: )

Inside is big enough for all ages and there are chairs, bean bags , desk , prams and dolls, books, it even has a fitted carpet !!! It is so well used it was well worth the money.

miffy
11-08-2011, 02:48 PM
I'd go for the summerhouse too, think you would get much more use out of it.

I have a little tykes plastic house and, whilst it's lovely for the little ones, the older ones can't get in unless they bend double!

Miffy xx

snufflepuff
11-08-2011, 04:26 PM
Wow, thanks everyone, sounds like a summer house is the way to go! Time to start saving....
Does anyone mind telling me how much theirs cost? I reckon we could probably fit in an 8ft by 8ft on, roughly? Seen some amazing ones online- some nicer than my house, lol! But we are talking well in to four figure prices.

PixiePetal
11-08-2011, 04:48 PM
we have a summer house - an old one put here by MIL when she lived in the house we do now.

It has real glass windows - not safety glass, so that area is out of bounds for mindees. As I only mind under 4s they are happy with the little tikes plastic house and I use summer house for my buggy collection :o

Hoping to make it more teen friendly over the next year - when I sell a buggy or 2 and put curtains up etc. for my teens :thumbsup:

If it gives up the ghost I would replace it for something similar as it is a great space. (but have safe windows!)

Go for it!!