PDA

View Full Version : fire evacuation, 3 storey house

wonderwoman80
10-08-2011, 08:02 PM
Just tried to write a fire plan, evacuation procedure. Was wondering if anyone else lived in a three storey house and had already done one. My living room is upstairs and I plan to keep mindees down stairs although when it comes to nap time may have to use the living room. Just wondered what other peoples procedures were if they had children upstairs. Any help please?

sarah707
10-08-2011, 09:54 PM
It is written on my Ofsted certificate that I am not allowed to use the 3rd storey of my house...

I suggest you organise a visit from your local fire brigade they will give you lots of advice and free smoke alarms :D

AliceK
11-08-2011, 07:20 AM
When you say your living room is upstairs I'm guessing this is the same as a 3 storey house I used to live in whereby the lounge was on the first floor and the bedrooms on the second floor? If that's the case then I can't see a problem with you letting the children up to the lounge as that is just the same as people living in "normal" houses letting children sleep upstairs in the bedrooms. However if I have got this wrong then please feel free to ignore me :blush:

xxxx

donnamarie2
11-08-2011, 07:42 AM
Hi , I live in a 3 storey house but a different set up to yours kitchen, dining room ground floor, living rooms 2 nd bedrooms bathroom top.
My house is kind of built into a banking so the 3rd floor is ground level at the back so i have a back door to use safely as a fire exit.
I haven't registered any bedrooms so if i have a sleeping child it sleeps in the lounge whilst we go into the playroom next door so we are on the same floor . would it be difficult to get out from your lounge in a fire , how would you get out?
If it would be very difficult i would be tempted to just not use it and use other areas that could be evacuated easily.
When i had my pre reg visit the inspector said for sleeping a travel cot in a quiet area would suffice and could be in a quiet corner of the lounge even .

wonderwoman80
11-08-2011, 08:10 PM
Hi sorry if I wasnt clear. Yeh on my ground floor I have a playroom, kitchen/ dining room and conservatory. Next floor I have a bedroom and opposite is the living room and on the top floor is the bathroom and three further bedrooms. Yeh was thinking of trying to stick to the ground floor, but not sure I have big enough space for a travel cot. So was thinking when children slept to put the travel cot in the lounge. But then means I may be on a different floor, which is same as people putting them into bedrooms. Just didnt know if they would allow me to do that. Smoke larms are fitted on each floor and windows open fully from lounge so that could be an escape route.

AliceK
12-08-2011, 08:03 AM
Hi sorry if I wasnt clear. Yeh on my ground floor I have a playroom, kitchen/ dining room and conservatory. Next floor I have a bedroom and opposite is the living room and on the top floor is the bathroom and three further bedrooms. Yeh was thinking of trying to stick to the ground floor, but not sure I have big enough space for a travel cot. So was thinking when children slept to put the travel cot in the lounge. But then means I may be on a different floor, which is same as people putting them into bedrooms. Just didnt know if they would allow me to do that. Smoke larms are fitted on each floor and windows open fully from lounge so that could be an escape route.

I can't see a problem with that at all. The whole of my house is registered and young babies / toddlers sleep upstairs in my bedroom. This would in effect be the same as you sleeping little ones in your lounge. As long as you have working smoke alarms I'm sure Ofsted would be absolutely fine with that.

xxxxx