PDA

View Full Version : worried!!!

lulubelle
10-08-2011, 05:36 PM
hi all i registered approx 6 months ago and at the time i was told i would get a call in 6 months to arrange my first proper inspection but if i hadnt started or had only just started minding not to worry as they would change date so i had been minding approx 6 months before inspection!

well i have just had a call to say they want to inspect on the 5th sep which is my only mindees FIRST day at school (he will be a rising 5) she then suggested 26th sep which is my new toddlers FIRST day!

how am i going to get good grades on those days??? i havent even started learning journals with my current mindee who i have had 3 days so far and i only have him 2 days a wk until he starts full time school in sep!

funemnx
10-08-2011, 05:43 PM
Perhaps you should call them and tell them, they'll probably wait until the lo's been with you a bit longer x

miffy
10-08-2011, 05:51 PM
Has the inspector said they will be coming on either of those dates?

I would also ring back and ask them to postpone until the new toddler is settled with you - it would be very unfair for you and them to have your inspection on the first day of care.

Miffy xx

lulubelle
10-08-2011, 05:55 PM
i tried explaining all that and she said but it needs to be done by a certain date! i basically refused (not sure that was a good idea) but she is going back to ofsted to see if it can be done later!

i am just annoyed that as always i have been told 1 thing by one person and than another by another person!

Goatgirl
10-08-2011, 05:56 PM
Hi,
Don't worry, you can just show what you have. It doesn't need to be reams of paperwork, just enough to show you are aware of childrens' development, your role in that and that you have an effective way to record that, share it with parent/carer and that the child can enjoy his achievements :)

If I were you, just think back over the days you have had your current mindee and jot down some starting points, with reference to the EYFS development pack. Write what you have done, things LO has said about/during the activities etc and add any photos you have taken.

Think of some next steps and new activities he might enjoy/benefit from based on this info and have some way of showing how the LO has achieved e.g. an achievement chart or 'Now I can....' chart or goal sheet, maybe with space for a sticker for the child to add when the target is reached, so that you can show a child has enjoyed and developed in your setting.

Its the way you're going about it, rather than the achievements of a particular child they'll be interested in and can be related to walking safely up and down the stairs or recognising their towel, using good manners, etc as well as huge milestones, so even short term goals matter.

If your current mindee has left by the later date and you go with that, just see if you can do the same kind of thing over a few settling in sessions with the new toddler :thumbsup:

And don't beat yourself up because it's not perfect: you'll constantly look at and modify the way you do things as you learn what works for you, your setting and your mindees. Inspectors are very keen on the constant improvement angle, so fill in your SEF if you can andbe aware of and make written records of any changes or developments in your methods.

Good luck :)

and Best wishes,
Wendy :)

miffy
10-08-2011, 05:58 PM
I think their guidelines are within 6 months of registration for the first graded inspection but I'm sure there can be some leeway in this - I have known some first inspections that were almost a year after registration.

Well done for standing your ground and asking her to reconsider.

Miffy xx

JCrakers
11-08-2011, 07:43 AM
I started in Sept07 and was inspected nearly 1yr later at the end of Aug 08. :rolleyes:
Due another anyday...eek

Im sure you will be fine, if they definitly wont change it im sure they will take into account that its toddlers first day. Maybe you could let her know all the good things you have planned regarding folder work etc.

Ring again and ask if it can be postponed, if you speak to someone else and explain your worries they may do something

Becky