PDA

View Full Version : variation and keeping place open

louise
07-05-2008, 07:33 AM
Hi, I guess its probably a no but would Ofsted grant a variation for me? It odesn't come under continuity of care.
I'll explain around xmas time my old neighbour popped by and asked if i was still minding as she was looking for someone for her daughter when she starts school in sept. It would be 8-9 then 12-4.15 mon- tues but from jan 3-4.15. Only 2 whole days during holidays. I never gave her any prices ect as she turned up out of the blue. She said she was looking round and i told her to pop back when i was minding. Any way we went to the school meeting last night and she asked about giving me a deposit. I had assumed that she didn't want me as i hadn't herd back.

Well on Fri i had a mum round for a 2 yr old mon-wed 8.3-5.3 her childminder is emigrating. She loved it and her son called my mindee his 'friend' but as her cm has to sell her house first i didn't take any retainer fee as we didn't know how long it will be for. We just left it that i will call her if i get any other calls. The mum also had a look at my sons preschool as i couldn't pick her son up from the one she had him down at. She really liked it and has put his name on the list. She did say she didn't know what to do. From that i got that she might be willing to hand in notice at current mindee to come to me.

Im only reg for 2 and have 1 full time mindee, the 2 yr old is the best option. I said to Ofsted at prereg i would only like to mindee 2. Its silly as the school mindee would go down to 7 hours after xmas.Which will mainly be taken up with walking to and from school.

Shall i phone up the 2 yr old mum and ask for £?? as a depoist say monthly till im needed? Typically i had an email for another mindee aswell last night.

crazybones
07-05-2008, 07:57 AM
If the only reason you can have 2 mindees is that was what you requested then I am sure you could ask ofsted to have 3 now. I only registered for 2 when I first started because I thought I would ease my way in but after a few months I asked them to up my numbers and it was fine - I sent a letter and they just sent me a new cert. If you have your own children taking up the under 5 spaces though it may be different.

Polly2
07-05-2008, 08:00 AM
I would give them a ring and see what they say - you've got nothing to lose!

louise
07-05-2008, 08:04 AM
Thanks i didn't know if it was as i asked or thats what i could have. Worth a ring. I do have a 4 yr old.

sarah707
07-05-2008, 08:17 AM
Good luck!

Let us know what they say ... knowing them, they'll probably want it in writing :rolleyes:

berkschick
07-05-2008, 08:18 AM
Is your 4 year old in fulltime education? If so then he is counted in your 5 - 8 ratio and you can still have 3 under 5. If not then he is one of your under 5s and you can only have 2 more under 5.

You really need to find out for sure what these parents want and then contact OFSTED accordingly.

The variation will only apply for the children you name in the letter so you need names and dates of birth. I would definately give the 2 year old Mum a ring and explain the situation and then take it from there.

louise
07-05-2008, 09:30 AM
I have just spoken to them. I have to do the usual and write to them asking why. It should be granted as 2 is a low number. Fingers crossed. I had told a little lie to the 4 yr olds mum that my 2 yr old interview was on Fri. So i think i will tell them both on Mon about other enquires. As im requseting it due to enquires i dont think anything will be put on cert regarding names ect. I wasn't asked to include them in the letter.

So any ideas of what to put? It would be easier if it was to include the mindees i was enquired for as one was only a few hours a day and that would mainly be walking to and from school which i would have a double buggy for both 2 yr olds and the 4 year olds holding onto the buggy. Is that the sort of thing they want? Shall i do it on if i was to mind the 2 yr old and 4 yr old along with current 2 yr old and my 4 yr old?

Thank

berkschick
07-05-2008, 09:36 AM
Sorry, I am confussed!

I have 2 variations, one to care for 4 under 5 on a Thursday and another to care for 4 under 5 on a Friday.

Both times I have had to name all the children concerned along with dates of birth and when I want the variation to run until. Also I have had to state why I have asked for the variation, EG continuation of care or sibling link.

I dont think ( and Im sure someone will correct me if I am wrong!) that they will just send you a certificate saying you are allowed 4 under 5 from now on.

My certificate says "3 under 5 with the exception of a Thursday between 9am and 3pm when may care for 4 under 5 as named on the letter dated XXXX"

louise
07-05-2008, 09:43 AM
Ive just seen some of you other replies on a search. I think its as when i had my prereg i said i would only want to mind 2. The lady at Ofsted said that is prob why i was given 2 on my reg simillar to annie. I would like to care for 3 under5's not including my son. I was to do it for having the reason of having many enquires and as i have a low reg number.

berkschick
07-05-2008, 09:49 AM
How old is your son?

If he is NOT in fulltime education then he IS classed as one of your under 5 so therefore you can only care for 2 further under 5 anyway unless you apply for a variation for specific children during specific hours.

In addition to this you may also care for 3 children between the ages of 5 - 8 years. Once the little one you have had an enquiry about starts fulltime school, she will move up to this age bracket therefore freeing up one of your under 5 spaces again.

I have my own 20 month old who takes up one of my under 5 spaces and also my 7 year old takes up one of my 5 - 8 spaces.

Therefore I can only mind 2 under 5 and 2 5 - 8.

berkschick
07-05-2008, 09:58 AM
Have a look at this

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/assets/3381.pdf.

Scroll down to standard 2, there is a section in there about getting permission to care for more than 3 under 5.

HTH

louise
07-05-2008, 10:07 AM
Thanks for that. I see what you mean. As my reg is for 2 under 8 i forget that you can only have 3 under 5. So like you say i wont be able to take them both on. My son is 5 in april. If i can get my cert changed to include over 5's it will still help me. No harm in trying it as they didn't want names ect
thanks