PDA

View Full Version : Registration certificate wording leaving me confused

nipper
10-08-2011, 02:13 PM
Hi, it doesn't take much to confuse me at the moment but this is the wording on my registration certificate. The Mrs O explained what she was going to recommend as far as my ratios were concerned and certainly in respect of my own children (Daughter is 4, turning 5 in January (starts reception next month) and son is 7, turning 8 in March)

may care for no more than 4 children under 8 years; of these not more than 2 may be in the early years age group, and of these, not more than 1 may be under 1 year at any time (Early Years Register, compulsory part of the childcare Register).

So my understanding is that I can have ...
one child under 12 months
two children between 1 year and 5 years
one child between ages of 5 and 8 years (so this would cover a child who came to me before and after school, wouldn't it?)

when caring for 4 or 5 year old children who are in full time education, may increase the number of children in the early years age group by the number in full time education, providing the maximum number is not exceeded (Early Years Register)

This is the part I am confused over...
does the 4 and 5 year old refer to my mindees or my daughter, because she is starting reception in September and will not be 5 until January, so does this mean that once she turns 5 I can take on another mindee? And presumably this means in the early years age range then?

must not provide overnight care (Early Years Register, compulsory part of the Childcare Register, voluntary part of the Childcare Register)

This is self-explanatory,but surely they could have written in an easier to understand way???

Please could anyone put me straight?

Mouse
10-08-2011, 02:28 PM
As it says "may care for no more than 4 children under 8 years of age", that is the maximum number of MINDED children you can have under 8.

of those 4, only 2 of them can be in the EY age group and of those 2, only one of them can be under 12 months. So, you could have 2 young children, but only one of them is allowed to be under 1. It doesn't mean you can have 2 in the EY age group AND an under 1.

But, it doesn't matter how many of the 4 are out of the EY age range. SO you could have all 4 of school age, but you wouldn't be able to have any younger ones, or you could have your 2 in the EY range (only one of them being under 1) and 2 school children.

Does that make sense so far?

The bit about 4 & 5 yr olds doesn't apply to your own daughter (remember, the numbers on the certificate are only for MINDED children). You are allowed 2 under 5s as your daughter is still in that bracket, so once she is in full time school you need to ask Ofsted to change your certificate to say you can have 3 children in the EY range (still only one of them can be under 1).

That clause applies to minded children. If you took on a 4yr old who was at full time school they should come into the EY range, but you can count them as being older for the purpose of ratios.

Then, when your son turns 8 , contact Ofsted again and ask for your certificate to be amended to say you can have 5 minded children under 8.

It does get confusing, but always remember that the number it says on the certificate is the maximum number of minded children you can have and doesn't include your own.

Mouse
10-08-2011, 02:30 PM
may care for no more than 4 children under 8 years; of these not more than 2 may be in the early years age group, and of these, not more than 1 may be under 1 year at any time (Early Years Register, compulsory part of the childcare Register).

So my understanding is that I can have ...
one child under 12 months
two children between 1 year and 5 years
one child between ages of 5 and 8 years (so this would cover a child who came to me before and after school, wouldn't it?)

?

Can you see now why that's wrong?

You would have 3 children in the EYFS if you did that, but your certificate says you can only have 2.

nipper
10-08-2011, 04:33 PM
Thanks very much Mouse for taking time to explain it