PDA

View Full Version : Slightly less hours?

smurfette
10-08-2011, 01:15 PM
Hi all

Wondering If you could give me advice for a mum I have no contract with (I know but we arent so into them in Ireland and she was my first mindee have got wise now and want to do one for her)

She has been having 40 hours one week and 44 the second week, I charge her a flat rate of 200 euros which covers her for the 44 (baba often collected early by nana)

She is now changing her work hours and it will work out at something like 37.5 and 39.5 hours- but in working out the hours she painstakingly worked them out down to the 20 mins or 30 in the hour eg in the original hours she said she would pick up at 6 one night and she has always arrived by 550, she commented when showing me "trying to keep the hours down' and also that her hubbie has lost money with cutbacks and it is hardly worth her while with childcare to be Working

She is my favourite of my mums we get on great and she is very appreciative and easy going so I dont want to upset her or be mean but it dawned on me afterwards that really the 200 is for the full time space rather than the hours so how do I tell her that? Or do I reduce the charge slightly? (also Should mention that I will have 20'mins less of baby some mornings as my girls are starting at her Los school in sept so will meet there at 820 instead of drop off at 8 which I guess will suit both of us) Be glad of your advise!

Mouse
10-08-2011, 01:30 PM
I think I would try explaining to her that she is paying for the space, not for the hours worked and that if she drops off late, or collects early, there isn't a reduction in the amount she has to pay. I would also explain that you only work in whole, or half hours, so being 10 minutes early won't make any difference.

If you want to do something to help, I suppose you could offer to only charge from say 8.30 on the days you meet her at school, charge a flat rate of 38.5hrs per week.

What I would do before you discuss any of it with her is to work out what you would plan to charge at the full rate and what it would actually cost working it out her way. For the odd 10 minutes here & there, i can't see it would actually make all that much difference. Perhaps if she sees she wouldn't be saving much, she'll realise it isn't worth the hassle.

boxtree7
10-08-2011, 01:33 PM
what if everyone wants a reductionhome at the moment moneywise is in such a sorry state it diffcult as Normaly it would be a big no to reduce fees but at moment a saving of any kind is such a big deal so I understand where the family are coming from. If you want to keep the business I think you need to consider how much you can reduce the costs by. Is there much call for childcare in your area, would you fill the space easily. How do you charge other families . I am sure you also have a family to feed and keep a roof over your head. Good luck.

jane5
10-08-2011, 04:50 PM
I would explain that she is paying for the space.

We are all having to tighten our belts and what if 1 of your other mindees leave? I bet she wont pay you any more then. I felt sorry for one of my single mums and I am letting her pay her deposit in instalment. 5 weeks after starting she has not paid any off the instalments but turns up in new clothes:rolleyes:

I have to keep reminding myself we are working to support our families :thumbsup:

smurfette
12-08-2011, 08:31 PM
Hi all thanks so much for the advice I will work it out just to see what the difference is, and then see if I can negotiate at all - but you are right I also have a family to feed and my hubbie is likely to be down money soon with the cutbacks and to be honest we are counting every penny of that 200. Your replies though have given me the words to say when I do talk to her will keep you posted (she is away til end of month) again thank you don't know where I would be without you guys!

bluebell3
13-08-2011, 09:10 AM
I think if the lady pays by the hour and reduces her hours then she should be able to reduce the amount she pays.
If she increased her hours surely you would charge her more?
When the flat rate was agreed (albeit without a contract) was it at 200 per week or was it at however much per hour and therefore that equals 200 per week? She seems to think it has been calculated on an hourly rate.
I understand where you are coming from with not wanting to lose the money but she seems desperate to cut down her costs. If she decided she didn't want to pay for a space she regularly isn't using she might look elsewhere and then you would lose a full week.
Best of luck with your chat with her - it seems like you have a lovely relationship with her and therefore I am sure will be able to agree something between you.

marleymoo
13-08-2011, 01:26 PM
have you tried working out knocking these daft 10 minutes off here and there, then adding them all up to see how many hours she would actually be saving? it might only come to one hour a week so at best, with me, she would save £4 a week! if you then agree to do this and reduce her fee to 196 a week then what would you do if she didn't pick up 10 mins early one day or still brought the kid to you at 8 rather than meet you at the school coz her other one is off sick that day and is with her granny and she's in a mad dash to get to work? forever the pessimist i am lol:D

marleymoo
13-08-2011, 01:32 PM
anyway, whatever you have done in the past with this parent i would disregard and start it as a whole new contract. completely fresh. that way, you will be able to meet her family's current needs which i think is the fair thing to do. you might end up with less money but it's better than losing her all together to a childminder who WILL meet her needs.:thumbsup: