PDA

View Full Version : can i claim as expense

shmuck9681
09-08-2011, 10:28 PM
just a query???
as my lo is taking up one of my spaces can i claim for the car seat i bought him? as when hes finished using it i will obviously keep for minded children???

Cammie Doodle
10-08-2011, 06:52 AM
I think you (the business) can buy it for use in Minding when you child has finished with it, but Im sure someone with more experience than me will be along to tell you .

miffy
10-08-2011, 06:54 AM
I agree with June - the car seat is a business expense not bought for personal use so yes you can claim the full cost of it as expenses.

Miffy xx

shmuck9681
10-08-2011, 12:14 PM
thanks, can always rely on you guys x

MrAnchovy
10-08-2011, 12:43 PM
I agree with June - the car seat is a business expense not bought for personal use so yes you can claim the full cost of it as expenses.

Miffy xx

That's not what June said, and she was right and you are wrong I am afraid (the car seat clearly was bought for personal use) :(

Once your own child is no longer using it, you can transfer it to the business (at a second-hand value).

jane5
10-08-2011, 06:14 PM
I bought several carseats for my business all put down as expenses and my dd will occasionally ask to travel in one of them.:rolleyes:

Chatterbox Childcare
13-08-2011, 10:28 AM
I would use an existing seat for your son and buy a new one for the business. They never use the same one do they?

sweets
13-08-2011, 01:02 PM
I would put it thorough.

Mr tax man isnt ever going to find out whos bottom actually sits in the seat is he ;)

bluebell3
21-08-2011, 09:32 AM
I need to buy a new car seat/highback booster seat for my business but eventually when my son grows out of his toddler seat he will use it on days I am not minding (he will be at pre-school on most of the days I am minding and on the days he is at home with me he can use his brothers highback booster seat as the older one is at school.) Should I charge the entire cost to the business or 50% ??
Also once he grows out of his toddler seat I will 'buy' the toddler seat into my business at a second hand value BUT how do I know what a 'fair' value for that would be and say it was £20 how do I provide a receipt for that?
I have bought a highchair and double pushchair from free ads in the paper and have no paperwork or receipts. Is it still ok to put it down as a cost because I have put them down as 'start-up' costs!

Cinderbella
21-08-2011, 09:40 AM
I put my lo's booster seat through ;)

Chatterbox Childcare
21-08-2011, 03:40 PM
I need to buy a new car seat/highback booster seat for my business but eventually when my son grows out of his toddler seat he will use it on days I am not minding (he will be at pre-school on most of the days I am minding and on the days he is at home with me he can use his brothers highback booster seat as the older one is at school.) Should I charge the entire cost to the business or 50% ??
Also once he grows out of his toddler seat I will 'buy' the toddler seat into my business at a second hand value BUT how do I know what a 'fair' value for that would be and say it was £20 how do I provide a receipt for that?
I have bought a highchair and double pushchair from free ads in the paper and have no paperwork or receipts. Is it still ok to put it down as a cost because I have put them down as 'start-up' costs!

I would put everything through that a mindee will use

MrAnchovy
22-08-2011, 12:06 AM

The entire cost - you are purchasing it for exclusive use by the business at the moment. Later, when your son might use it occasionally, it will still be available for business use and you might argue that any private use is incidental.

£20 sounds fair to me. One way to work it out would be to say that a if a seat cost you £70 new, your son has used it for 4 years and you reckon it has another 3 years in it, it is worth 3 / 7 x £70 = £30.

Just write 'Car seat transferred from personal use' as the description in your expenses, don't worry about a receipt as it is obvious why there isn't one. With the stuff you have bought from the paper it would be better if you could get them to write you a receipt, but if not it is not the end of the world as again the missing receipts can be explained. Many bookkeepers will cross-reference their lists of expenses with a numbered file of receipts, writing a number next to the item in the list and also on the receipt which is then filed in number order. If there isn't a receipt, write 'NR' instead of a number and it keeps things neat.

Do not, whatever you do, write out a receipt yourself and then file it with the others. This is a red rag to anyone going through your books and will result in them picking over every receipt to see whether it is genuine or not. If on the other hand they see a load of 'NR's, they will pick one that looks interesting (and with a few year's experience, the 'interesting' one is easy to spot), ask you why there is no receipt and as long as the explanation makes sense they will move on. If on the other hand you tell them you paid £900 for a pushchair to someone you met in the park there will be more questions...

aly
22-08-2011, 07:36 AM
Do not, whatever you do, write out a receipt yourself and then file it with the others.
was always under the impression if we buy things off ourselves..i.e car seats etc then we could write a receipt and say that it was trasnfer from personal to business use? or do you mean things like the pram in the park ?:cool:

MrAnchovy
23-08-2011, 11:22 AM
That's not a receipt though is it - a receipt is a confirmation by someone that they have received money from you in exchange for goods or services they have provided you with.

TheBTeam
24-08-2011, 12:37 PM
That is good to know because if i have trf things from personal to business use, i have just clearly written in the amount but not bothered with the token gesture of writing a 'receipt' to myself.