PDA

View Full Version : How far do you let the parents in?

nipper
09-08-2011, 06:13 PM
I'm sorry if you are all rolling your eyes at this, BUT my question is how far do you let your parents in when they drop off mindees, if you let them in at all. Only asking as I have to decide where to put my certificate and THE poster!!!! Do I put in on the new notice board in my room where I am doing my childminding or in the hall where it might be more visible to a parent, notwithstanding the fact they may just ring the doorbell and handover the child to me. I know that's what I used to do when I sent my son to a childminder when he was a baby. At the end of the day she would literally be waiting with him in her arms, coat on and bag packed.Is the only time I see them in my house when I have my initial meeting with them....?
Apologies if I am asking a pointless question but thanks for any answers.
Emma

jane5
09-08-2011, 06:19 PM
I would love to do the hand over at the door but I feel that they may think I am hiding something if I do not invite them in.

The thing that really bothers me though is the amount of people walking on my carpet and it will really annoy me in the winter.:rolleyes:

I could keep them in the hall but it is not huge and is always full of buggies and carseats so thats not really an option.

I will be interested to see what every one else does:thumbsup:

onceinabluemoon
09-08-2011, 06:35 PM
Mine usually drop off and pick up from the front door, but they all know they can come in any time if they need a chat or anything.

kel1983
09-08-2011, 06:36 PM
Ive got 2 mums that just hand over in the morning at the door and then mybe somedays come in as far as the hall way. and one mum wh likes to come in and have a real chat about her life. Which I dont really mind on the days when all the othr children have gone home but not on the days when I still minding 2 children

Louise317
09-08-2011, 06:42 PM
I only have one child at the mo... mum use to come in in the early days (only had him 5 weeks) but now she drops off at the door and I usually have him ready at the end of the day... but this is so I can get on with my own kids and she's usually late!

I only invite in if I have something to discuss or needs signing, I find they just want to get home now.

My certificate is up in the kitchen at the minute with my notice board as waiting for my porch to be repainted etc but then it'll be in there... but like you say if the don't come in they won't actually see it! But if they request to view there it will be :)

QualityCare
09-08-2011, 06:46 PM
mine is in the porch just inside the front door even though the parents come into the front room.

Mouse
09-08-2011, 06:53 PM
I do all hand overs at the door. In winter parents are allowed into the hall, but in summer they stay on the doorstep. I explain at initial visist why I do it - can be unsettling to other children if there are parents walking through, children tend to settle better if parents just drop off & go, I haven't got room for all the parents,children are often reluctant to go home if parents come right in while they are still playing, most children start to play up at home time, so it's best to get them out of the house asap.

But, I make it very clear that they are very welcome to come in if they need a chat, and I do invite them in regularly to see what their children have been doing, how I've got things set out etc.

Then there are times like today when we were playing in the garden, completely oblivious of the time until the first parent arrived & my son sent them through into the garden. The others followed shortly after. It was lovely having them all there together as they got to see the children playing and having fun. But they all realised why doorstop handovers are better when all the children refused to go home & went out throwing temper tantrums :laughing: :blush:

miffy
09-08-2011, 07:40 PM
I usually ask parents in and they come wherever we are - lounge, kitchen, garden etc.

The only time they don't get a foot inside the door is if they're late!!!

Miffy xx

nipper
09-08-2011, 07:40 PM
I do all hand overs at the door. In winter parents are allowed into the hall, but in summer they stay on the doorstep. I explain at initial visist why I do it - can be unsettling to other children if there are parents walking through, children tend to settle better if parents just drop off & go, I haven't got room for all the parents,children are often reluctant to go home if parents come right in while they are still playing, most children start to play up at home time, so it's best to get them out of the house asap.

But, I make it very clear that they are very welcome to come in if they need a chat, and I do invite them in regularly to see what their children have been doing, how I've got things set out etc.

Then there are times like today when we were playing in the garden, completely oblivious of the time until the first parent arrived & my son sent them through into the garden. The others followed shortly after. It was lovely having them all there together as they got to see the children playing and having fun. But they all realised why doorstop handovers are better when all the children refused to go home & went out throwing temper tantrums :laughing: :blush:

Oh I can just imagine it...lol

Chimps Childminding
09-08-2011, 08:05 PM
Mine all come in!! Luckily drop offs and collections are spread out so don't end up with a houseful all at the same time (well not very often anyway :D ).

As a parent I would think there was something up if I was kept at the door (appealing as it seems sometimes :rolleyes: ). The lo's like to show parents what they are/have been doing/playing with and I have a quick chat with each about their child!!

To be honest I never considered doing it any other way :blush:

sophiestars
09-08-2011, 08:10 PM
It's interesting to read everyone's replies. I don't have a set rule about whether they come in or not it has just happened naturally with all of mine. One is always in a rush so drops off and picks up at the door unless she needs to come in and chat about holiday dates etc.
Another will stand and chat at the door at drop off and pick up but not come in unless her little girl wants to show her something
My third always comes in at drop off and pick up and it's not unusual for her to stay for 10-15 mins chatting, but I like the fact she actually sees what her little girl has been doing.
I had another parent who would stay for ages at pick up which I don't mind unless it's right at the end of the day!
Personally I like to have a chat with them to reinforce our relationship as I think that can help the children

FWDaycare
09-08-2011, 08:35 PM
Mine all come in as they like to have a quick chat about how their children slept the night before, what time they woke up (so we know when to expect to put them down for a nap). And then again in the evenings to discuss their day and what we have down, although all this info is in theor diaries.

I think they quite like having that personal touch and to be able to see what their children get up to all day and that they are happy in my home.

khlwomitchell
09-08-2011, 09:30 PM
my kid goes at 4.30 when i'm feeding the kids so they have to come and go quick but i do let them in. i try not to chat too much as i've finished work and don't get paid overtime!!!

my certificate is in the conservatory thats the kids playroom and my 'office'.
heard about some parents letting their kids trash house after tidy up and sit for ages not getting hint to leave, very aware i'm not having that in my house!

mrs_scottydog
09-08-2011, 09:33 PM
At drop off my parents don't come into my house but tell me if there's anything I need to know while standing on the doorstep. At collection I ask them all to come in as they're normally early so their children need to put their shoes etc on. I also get the chance then to have a chat with the parents about what has gone on though the day. My certificates are displayed on a noticeboard in my dining room. I don't have a hall that I can put it in unfortunately. Hx

Ant_h18
10-08-2011, 07:47 AM
I would say it depends on the child(ren) as if they get upset ect

appleblossom
10-08-2011, 10:34 AM
I have hard floors in kitchen hall and playroom. Carpet in lounge. Parents know we have no shoes on the carpet, so they don't go in there. If the child they are collecting is in the lounge I bring them out to Mum/Dad, they collect their things and go. If we are in the garden I put a note on front door for parents to come to back gate. in tthat case the lounge door is locked so nobody comes in from outside and goes in there. Parents all stay for a chat, unless they are late, in which case I have their LO ready to go.

singingcactus
10-08-2011, 10:54 AM
Mine come in as far as they like. Often further than they'd like lol, they get dragged in off the street to see whatever we've been doing, wherever we've been doing it, even if it's all the way through into the back yard.

charleyfarley
10-08-2011, 10:59 AM
I do all handovers in the kitchen as that is the nearest room to front door. I do make sure that the door leading from kitchen to living room is fully closed as this stops the children going back in there to play.

I do it this way as in the past parents have made themselves slightly too comfortable on my sofa and still been there an hour or so later :rolleyes:

Carol xx

Mamma4Ya
10-08-2011, 01:03 PM
We have a no shoe policy in our house so I will continue that when I get my first mindee, so I dont mind if parents come into the hall but i will not invite them into the lounge.

snufflepuff
10-08-2011, 05:11 PM
Mine is in the hallway right next to the front door. One Mum comes in for a quick chat, another stays for ages sometimes! I have had some parents literally just stay at the door and never really come in.
Either way, I don't think any of them have ever looked at it!!!

Andrea08
10-08-2011, 05:31 PM
NO PARENTS PAST FRONT HALL my NEW LAW HEHEHEHE

sick of parets chatting for ages and kids messing about or getting upset at pick up time....

i am decorating atm and looking at notice boards that come down at the end of the day that can hold my "HAVE to be displayed" posters etc

xx

cupcake22
10-08-2011, 06:03 PM
Parent do come in however this is just inside the front door. We still have a chat on drop off & pick up but I like to finish work on time. I have found in the past that if they come into the lounge they dont known when to leave. We also have a no shoe policy in our house although they dont seem to observe it which is another reason i dont let them fourther than just inside the front door. I dont need wet or muddy shoes on my carpet (and thats just the parents) lol

Cupcake22

Mookins
10-08-2011, 08:26 PM
Mine all come in!! Luckily drop offs and collections are spread out so don't end up with a houseful all at the same time (well not very often anyway :D ).

As a parent I would think there was something up if I was kept at the door (appealing as it seems sometimes :rolleyes: ). The lo's like to show parents what they are/have been doing/playing with and I have a quick chat with each about their child!!

To be honest I never considered doing it any other way :blush:

snap...i have one mum that stays by the door so have to practically drag her into tshow what her children do...one am quite close too now so its nice she comes in and have a natter one comes in and starts playing with the kids...have told her she should do my job lol

xx

angeldelight
10-08-2011, 09:14 PM
I do all handovers in the kitchen as that is the nearest room to front door. I do make sure that the door leading from kitchen to living room is fully closed as this stops the children going back in there to play.

I do it this way as in the past parents have made themselves slightly too comfortable on my sofa and still been there an hour or so later :rolleyes:

Carol xx

Yep I do more or less the same

Angel xx

littlegremlins
10-08-2011, 10:00 PM
I have my certificate in hallway. Drop offs tend to be pretty quick and parent comes into hallway. Collections, parents can come further in, usually into lounge and I happily discuss anything; I have laminated flooring so not worried about shoes.

mushpea
11-08-2011, 06:02 AM
my certificates are in the hall and thats as far as parents get,, I used to invite them in but then I couldnt get rid of them and this caused the kids to start playing up which then upset the others so now its drop of and pick up in the hall, the door between my kitchen and hall is our display door so parents still get to see what work the children do each week.

Tink
11-08-2011, 06:10 AM
My parents drop off and collect from my living room, as this is the first room off of the street. I domakethem stand on the mat as there are usually babies and toys on the floor and I don't want my laminate floor getting muddy.
If they do need to speak to me, it's shoes off and into the kitchen:D

Greengrass74
11-08-2011, 06:58 AM
We are lucky that we have a large hall, all the LO's shoes are here, I have put up pegs for each one for their bags and other bits etc., all our posters and info is on display here to.
Parents are able to stand and talk in the hallway so do not come in any further.

gegele
11-08-2011, 07:05 AM
i have my certificate, ofsted poster and insurance certificate in my porch.

yesterday a dad said "oh you have your certificate on the wall"

i looked at him laughed an said it's been here nearly 3yrs! i replace it every year.

he picks up 5days a week, 48 weeks a year and he never noticed ah ah ah a:thumbsup:

babs
11-08-2011, 07:30 AM
mine all come in .. in a morning my door is normally unlocked from hubby going out at 5.30.. so they knock shout hiya walk in one even puts me the kettle on if im upstairs. i have a good realionship with all my parents and grandparents. At home time if we are in garden i unlock door just before they arrive ( all at different times ) they walk in. my alarm bell goes off when they open my door so i always know someone has entered. if in house i just go unlock door they come in for short chat and off they go. did have problems at beginning but its working well at moment.

amanda1309
11-08-2011, 09:19 AM
I have quite a large hall and coats and shoes are stoered there so handovers are usually done there. Some parents do come into the lounge but not all that often as most of mine want to get home and get tea sorted as none of my mindees saty for tea at the minute.

peanuts
11-08-2011, 09:28 PM
we could see parents walking along the path to my house, so we would go into the hall and i would close the livingroom door so when they came in they would be in the hall.