PDA

View Full Version : help iink a mindee has a learning need

mandiekhawke
09-08-2011, 09:35 AM
Hi all hope you are all well especially those in areas where there are riots! :(

I need advice - a mindee i have very regulary he is 5 i have him - mon - fri is displaying traits that i would associate with ASD (i have previously to having my own children worked with this client group) and the school he attends have indicated to me they believe he has a learning need. Mum and dad are aware of the schools concerns although i dont know all the information about the school etc as i am not privvy to this info. I have had him 7.30 till 4.30 mon to fri all of the holidays and have observed several behaviours that fit the triad of impairment. he is at times aloof, he has little cause and effect thinking and hard to keep focused on anything that isnt directly of interest to him. He becomes aggitated when disturbed from an activity he is heavily engaged in - this can be rolling on the floor, spinning around and the like. he has little awareness of some social ques and body space and proximatey.... i am in the process of writting up my observations for mum and dad but what can i do next to help him!!!! he starts year one in september and i feel he needs assistance asap in order to do well

JCrakers
09-08-2011, 12:01 PM
Looks like you are doing the right thing :) The observations you make will be useful. You seem to have him at your house quite a lot so you would notice a pattern in his behaviour more than anyone.

My brother wasn't diagnosed with ADHD until he was 9 as it wasnt recognised like it is nowadays (hes now 23) My Mum knows it was late and if he had got help earlier it could have been a big benefit for his school work/exams.

I think you should talk to Mum and school and get something in place for him. Its mum who needs to start the process and you can back her up.

mandiekhawke
17-08-2011, 12:52 PM
thanks for the reply - so i cant initiate a process it needs to be mum! ok best ready myself for a difficult chat then thanks again.....
:(