PDA

View Full Version : Breach of contract?

HMT81
09-08-2011, 08:11 AM
1 of my mindee's does not have contracted days, but usually comes to me 2 or 3 days a week. Mindee's mum told me yesterday that she doesn't need me at all next week, and only 1 day the week after :panic: I can't afford not to have him, esp as my other mindee is on holiday. I know there's nothing I can do about the following week as he doesn't have contracted days or hours, but it does say in our contract that she must give me 4 weeks notice of any holidays. What can I do?

Mouse
09-08-2011, 08:16 AM
1 of my mindee's does not have contracted days, but usually comes to me 2 or 3 days a week. Mindee's mum told me yesterday that she doesn't need me at all next week, and only 1 day the week after :panic: I can't afford not to have him, esp as my other mindee is on holiday. I know there's nothing I can do about the following week as he doesn't have contracted days or hours, but it does say in our contract that she must give me 4 weeks notice of any holidays. What can I do?

It really depends exactly how your contract is worded, but if you don't have any contracted days, or contracted hours, I don't see how you'll be able to charge anything.
Do you have anything in your contract about minimum hours a week? You say she needs to give 4 weeks notice of any holidays, but if she hasn't got any set days, I don't see how you could count time off as holiday. Does your contract say anything about time days having to be booked in advance, then not cancelled?

I think you need to do a contract review to include a minimum number of days/hours each week.

BuggsieMoo
09-08-2011, 08:18 AM
mmm. Do you have a contract at all?
What does it say?

HMT81
09-08-2011, 08:23 AM
It really depends exactly how your contract is worded, but if you don't have any contracted days, or contracted hours, I don't see how you'll be able to charge anything.
Do you have anything in your contract about minimum hours a week? You say she needs to give 4 weeks notice of any holidays, but if she hasn't got any set days, I don't see how you could count time off as holiday. Does your contract say anything about time days having to be booked in advance, then not cancelled?

I think you need to do a contract review to include a minimum number of days/hours each week.

I think I have made a mess for myself with this contract haven't I. It was my first one. Oh well I will have to learn from my mistake

sarah707
09-08-2011, 08:27 AM
Over the years I have had a few children who have come as and when I am needed.

However they are add ons, when I can fit them in, never my main income.

I suggest you get advertising and once you have other children on the books explain to mum that the space can only be kept open for her if she pays a 1 or 2 day retainer each week... otherwise you are sorry but you might not be able to help her.

Hth :D

Mouse
09-08-2011, 08:35 AM
I think I have made a mess for myself with this contract haven't I. It was my first one. Oh well I will have to learn from my mistake

Don't feel bad about it, we all have to learn as we go along and it's things like this that make us realise what we need to do next time. See it as a learning experience :thumbsup:

How long has the child been coming to you? You could suggest something like a 4 month review and explain to parents why the current arrangement isn't working for you (ie. you expected 2 or 3 days a week, but now find you're sometimes not earning anything at all). Do they come varying days & are you keeping the whole week free for them? Tell mum how much that means you're losing out on when she doesn't bring the child to you. Tell her you need her to be contracted for a set number of days a week, which she needs to pay for whether or not lo is there. If she uses more than those days, she obviously pays extra for them.

If she's not happy with that, tell her that you are sorry, but you cannot hold a place for nothing & will advertise for another child. If more work comes along, you cannot guarantee her space will be available when she needs it.

Just out of interest, do you know if she claims tax credits to help with the cost of childcare? If she does, it would mean she's still getting the same amount whether or not lo comes to you.

love381
09-08-2011, 08:47 AM

Perhaps because you have this you could suggest a payment for the week where he's not with you at all. An agreed amount between you and mum, maybe just for 2 days pay (as you say he comes 2 or 3 days) and state to mum it's because she didn't give you 4 weeks notice (at least this might get you some money). x

HMT81
09-08-2011, 08:50 AM
Perhaps because you have this you could suggest a payment for the week where he's not with you at all. An agreed amount between you and mum, maybe just for 2 days pay (as you say he comes 2 or 3 days) and state to mum it's because she didn't give you 4 weeks notice (at least this might get you some money). x

I will suggest it to her later, I've got a feeling she won't though x