PDA

View Full Version : Work-life balance!

buzzy bee
09-08-2011, 08:02 AM
I've been childminding for nearly a year now and have been working 5 days a week for 10+ hours a day since then.

An opportunity has come up to change one of my children's days so that I would only have to work 4 days a week (meaning I'd get a day off each week with just my 18-month-old, which I have been longing for) BUT it means I'd have 3-4 little ones every other day (as long as Ofsted would let me)

Just wondering from your experience if it's better to do 4 crazy days with one day off, or 5 less crazy days?!

Also, would you ask a parent to swap days to convenience you? (If this does happen I could consider asking another parent to swap a day about to make things a little less crazy!)

PixiePetal
09-08-2011, 08:07 AM
for me it would be 4 crazy days - and if any leave, see if it is viable to keep it down a bit but still on 4 days. Your sanity is priceless :)

I have been having 3 busy days, one day of 1 mindee and 1 day off a week - lovely :thumbsup:

mama2three
09-08-2011, 08:13 AM
I would definately opt for fewer busier days too!
Most of mine are term time - in the hols I have one each day! Drives me potty!

sarah707
09-08-2011, 08:29 AM
That's exactly what I do... lots of children in 4 days and then my precious Friday off. :D

Mouse
09-08-2011, 08:42 AM
I have 4 reasonably busy days, then my Friday off...and I love it! I'd much rather do that than have it all spread out over a week.

From Feb I will be even busier with new babies starting & willl need a variation for 4 for all 4 days (continuity of care, so hopeful I'll get it!). I'll be madly busy, but love it :thumbsup:

Playmate
09-08-2011, 09:44 AM
definately 4 days mayhem to get one off :D

angiemog
09-08-2011, 11:50 AM
Definitely 4 busy days.
I would also ask a parent to swap a day if In knew they were able to. This is usually a one off though. Like today I only had one mindee (his mum is on maternity) so I gave her the option of switching a day so her little one would have friends to play with. I also would switch a day if I was able to if a parent requested it. My husband is a shift worker so is here 50% of the time and registered as my assistant. They all know I can only switch a day if my hubbie is here. This works for me in my setting, I know it doesn't work for everyone. x

rickysmiths
09-08-2011, 11:57 AM
Definately 4 busy days and one off!

But I would never, never go a full year without a break. I take 5 hard earned weeks of a year. I am off this week. I could not work without those breaks.

Carol M
09-08-2011, 12:24 PM
I too would opt for the 4 busy days.
I have sorted this for me too :clapping: from Sept to Jan I will be working Mon-Thurs with 3 each day TTO and Fri off :clapping: :clapping:
If all stay I will have to juggle days a bit to accommodate new sibling so will have to ask my 1 day a week lo to change days and ask for a variation for 1 day ( to have 4 under 5's) then will lose my Fri off :(
Good Luck
Carol xx

Cammie Doodle
09-08-2011, 12:57 PM
Busy days and some free days suit me just fine

flowerpots
09-08-2011, 04:42 PM
4 mega busy days and the extra day off:clapping:

This will be me next year (hopefully), im not taking on any new starters who need a friday and ive only got one mindee left on a friday now and he's due to go to school next year :thumbsup:

JCrakers
10-08-2011, 10:51 AM
I would choose 4 days...When I started 3yrs ago I started Mon-thurs, then took a little girl on because it was 5days a week.
So gave up my Fridays for a year, then Dad had to cut his hours so I got my Frdiays back for a year.

Now Ive just agreed to do a Friday again....I must be mad..its official :laughing:

Becky x