PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Probs - Need advice cos want to get it right first time!!!

Newbie1!
09-08-2011, 07:46 AM
I really need some help re changes I am making to my holidays and pay etc.

Currently I take four weeks hol myself, for which I dont charge a fee and the parents can then have two seperate weeks for half fee. If they want anymore they have to pay full fee.

Now, when I thought this method up I thought it was ok - until this month when I took my two weeks summer hol - 2 weeks no fees - and then 4 mindees took their two weeks summer hol when I got back - 2 weeks half fee....I am therefore totally skint :panic: :( Although I know I have made this mess myself!!

I am in the process of drafting up some new info re holidays that will hopefully benefit both myself and the parents so was going to propose that I take four weeks holiday a year - if the parent choses to holiday at the same then there will be no fee but if they are off - say the week after - then they will have to pay full (still no fee for my two weeks)

I just wondered if you thought that this was acceptable?

I know alot charge for their own hols either half or whatever but I know that if I tried to implement this this most of mine would leave (weve had this conversation with some of them before)

I have exactly the same hols every year without fail as hubby has factory shut down so they will know well in advance when they are......what do you think??? :panic: xxx

Mouse
09-08-2011, 07:50 AM
I take 4 weeks holiday a year, for which I don't charge. Full fee is due for all other times, so if the child is on holiday I still get paid.

For families that pay a set amount each month, I calculate their fee for the 48 weeks a year I work, divide by 12 months, so they pay 4 weeks a month regardless of if I'm on holiday, they're on holiday etc. That way, I know I will always have money coming in, even if I'm on holiday. Are there any families you could do that with?

Newbie1!
09-08-2011, 07:54 AM
That sounds perfect Mouse, thank you - they have all had their fees on a weekly calculation tho so not sure how I could do the 48 weeks thing - unless I suggest to them that I just times their current weekly fees? Would that work?...Im sorry I know I sound so stupid but I have total brain freeze at the minute!!

They do actually pay monthly but I calculate it from month to month based on the actual days they come within that month...if that makes any sense at all!! :rolleyes:

JCrakers
09-08-2011, 08:38 AM
Hi,

I have 4 weeks unpaid holiday and if parents want to take their holiday at the same time that benefits them as they dont have to pay.

If they chose to take holiday at other times then full price is charged.

Becky

QualityCare
09-08-2011, 08:39 AM
I do the same for full time children with set hours eg; one child 1 -5.30=4.5hrs x daily rate x 48 divide by 12 during the school holidays l work out the extra 1/2 day hrs and add it on that month.
It doesn't work for children who have a different number of hours each day and pay by the hour, so l do holiday pay on the average hours per week.

Mouse
09-08-2011, 08:48 AM
That sounds perfect Mouse, thank you - they have all had their fees on a weekly calculation tho so not sure how I could do the 48 weeks thing - unless I suggest to them that I just times their current weekly fees? Would that work?...Im sorry I know I sound so stupid but I have total brain freeze at the minute!!

They do actually pay monthly but I calculate it from month to month based on the actual days they come within that month...if that makes any sense at all!! :rolleyes:

For those that don't have a set amount each week, I take a figure that is pretty constant. So if for example, they're contracted for 2 full days, but sometimes come 3, I would do the set monthly amount for the 2 days and then add in the extras they've done each month. Take the minimum amount they always pay and use that as the starting point.

Newbie1!
09-08-2011, 12:41 PM
Fab thank you - think I may propose this to them all then as we are starting a new payment plan on 1st September so now is the time to implement it, if were going to......now just how to word the letter :panic: :panic:

Newbie1!
09-08-2011, 12:52 PM
Ooo and one other thing - how do you calculate bank hols -do you work - are they higher fees etc? I dont normally work bank hols but charge half fee, would I just include all bank hols at half fee in the calcs....sorry for being totally dumb!! :blush: :blush:

Newbie1!
09-08-2011, 01:03 PM
This is definitely the last question on this!!......If I implement this it will materially affect the contract and its terms - do I have to do totally new contracts for all or can I just do an A4 sheet with the differences and get parents to sign??

mama2three
09-08-2011, 01:43 PM
yes work out bank hols along with the calculation. it can make it a little complex if they fall in your holiday time etc - but as you take the same weeks each year you will be able to work it out exactly.
I wouldnt do a whole new contract - just a sheet with all new details on and a sentence somewhere saying this constitutes an amendment to contract and signed by both yourself and parent.

Do they do the same hours each week?

Mouse
09-08-2011, 01:47 PM
Apart from Christmas & New Year, I am willing to work Bank Holidays, but at an enhanced rate. If parents don't bring the child i charge my usual fee (full fee for child's time off) as I am available to work. If they do bring the child they have to book the place 4 weeks in advance and i charge double fee.

I'm not prepared to work Christmas & New Year ban hols, so don't charge for them as I am not available to work.

If you don't work any bank hols, but charge half fee, I would include them all in your calculations. Then if any parents do need you & you decide to work, you can add the additional amount in.

Mouse
09-08-2011, 01:50 PM
This is definitely the last question on this!!......If I implement this it will materially affect the contract and its terms - do I have to do totally new contracts for all or can I just do an A4 sheet with the differences and get parents to sign??

I know some people do a completely new contract, but I would just do an amendment. If it's only the fees bit changing and everything else is staying the same I would note that, and do an A4 sheet to add to the back of the contract. Get parents to sign it to say they understand it, agree to it & know it overwrites the origional contract.

Newbie1!
09-08-2011, 01:52 PM
Thanks guys - all my mindees do usually do the same hours every week, apart from school hols sometimes but I can always add a bit on in cash for that so am not worried about that.

The biggest problem I have now is for two sibling boys I have...I know you will all think Im totally mental for doing this but.....!!!

I currently have them for five mornings a week before school. I used to have them after school but it was four days one week then five days the following and so on, due to mums working hours. When they changed to mornings, I told mum that I would not put the fees up and would continue to calculate them for her as thought they were still coming for four days then five days...so in every invoice it will have....week one - four days, week two - five days....and so on

I was going to literally do 24 weeks at the four day rate and 24 weeks at the five day rate...but then how on earth can I add Bank hols into that one!!! :laughing: :eek: :panic:

I hope you can understand that!!!

jane5
09-08-2011, 05:01 PM
I have 5 families and 2 pay the same amount every month, 2 pay for the amount of days in the month and then nothing while I am away, and 1 pays weekly but not while I am away.

I intended charging everyone the same way but it has not worked out like that but because 2 pay the same amount every month I will be a bit short while I am on holiday but never totally broke.

If you cant work out a different way for the 2 boys to pay keep them the same.