PDA

View Full Version : Stairgates

PerkyEars
08-08-2011, 02:28 PM
Can anyone recommend the best stairgate?

I've never bothered with them before, and have just let people free range around my small house, but right now I've got -

- one boy who if his sister is playing quietly with me, he will wander off to do something he shouldn't, so I have to keep chasing after him and she's not getting played with. :huh:

- and a girl who if I wander off to the toilet or the kitchen will follow me, and doesn't understand enough english to know 'wait there'. :panic:

I've decided to start getting a bit military about us being in a particular room and staying there, for the sake of my own sanity!

kel1983
08-08-2011, 02:46 PM
I use 2 stairgates to keep the lo's contained to the 2 main rooms. We dont have doors on our downstairs.

I use Lindam gates. One is a narrow fit to fit a stupid sized kitchen doorway and the other is a wide opening one so we dont bang into the frame as much.

They are both removeable as when I first started they were taken down at the weekends. This lasted for a month and they have stayed in place since. They are very handy when we dogsit for my bro at weekends.

AliceK
08-08-2011, 03:05 PM
I have all sorts. Safety First do one that closes automatically which I bought for my DD's bedroom a while ago but to be honest it's a pain if you don't want it closed all the time then you need to wedge it open. I have loads of stairgates, not all of them in use but I'm thinking of re-arranging things and putting one on the toyroom door so the older ones can use it and the LO's can't get their little mitts on things they shouldn't.

xxxxx

QualityCare
08-08-2011, 03:30 PM
I only use pressure fit gates so that they can be moved around as needed. Mothercare had buy one get one 1/2 price on their web site last week.

sweets
08-08-2011, 04:38 PM
I use 2 stairgates to keep the lo's contained to the 2 main rooms. We dont have doors on our downstairs.

I use Lindam gates. One is a narrow fit to fit a stupid sized kitchen doorway and the other is a wide opening one so we dont bang into the frame as much.

They are both removeable as when I first started they were taken down at the weekends. This lasted for a month and they have stayed in place since. They are very handy when we dogsit for my bro at weekends.

i use lindam gates too as my stairs are very narrow and they are the only ones that would fit.
I also used to take them off at weekends but like you it lasted about a month :laughing: same with the fireguard, but thats off permanantly at the mo as i have no crawlers and the fire is never used.

PerkyEars
16-08-2011, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the replys and the recommendations. I'd definately need pressure fit as I don't have a dedicated playroom and it would depend who I had.

Fortunately the kids causing crowd control issues have quit since their mums temp job came to an end. So I have no money for stairgates for a few weeks, but I do have peace and quiet. :laughing:

ChocolateChip
16-08-2011, 12:50 PM
I have the Lindam pressure fit ones aswell, to keep my crawler in the lounge, so one across door to hallway and one across door to kitchen.
Look out for an Asda baby event, I got my last ones from there really cheap.

dolly12345
16-08-2011, 01:52 PM
I have used both pressure fit and fixed. I find the pressure ones more convenient as you can move them around from room to room. But beware, make sure they are fitting tightly otherwise when a child pulls or pushes they can squeeze out of the door frame. The fixed ones can be a pain but I did have a couple of wooden ones that were adjustable and fitted across the wide staircase in the hallway. I think they were from Mothercare.