PDA

View Full Version : Photographs problem!

love381
08-08-2011, 01:39 AM
I have a new parent/child coming and they signed contracts and permissions and things last week! The problem is, the mum is adamant that her child will not be photographed in any way what so ever!!

How do I record this?
How do I monitor and provide evidence for his LJ?

I have a self-registering board which is photos and a name on a card, won't this child feel left out/excluded!!

x

blue bear
08-08-2011, 01:51 AM
All my children have a picture that goes with their name, eg eddy elephant, Sharon sheep. Could you not give him a picture instead of a photo?

You are going to have to be careful to cut him out of photos you take of other children and write up many more obs to fill in for the photographs you would normally take. Does mum say why no photos? Make sure you get her to sign something to put in your folder.

christine e
08-08-2011, 06:13 AM
Explain to parents how you use photos to evidence for observations etc etc, if she is still adamant ask her to put this in writing and keep in child's records and respect her wishes.

Cx

miffy
08-08-2011, 06:35 AM
It might be that mum doesn't fully understand what the photos will be used for.

As far as the learning journey is concerned you could just photograph her art and craft work but it is a shame if mum will not allow photos of her to be included.

Miffy xx

Pipsqueak
08-08-2011, 07:07 AM
I agree with Miffy you perhaps need to have a chat with the parent to find out their full objections to the photos and explain how you use them/store them etc.

onceinabluemoon
08-08-2011, 07:25 AM
It's not a problem. Presumably mum has already signed to say she wants no photos whatsoever? If not ask her to do so and then just ensure her child is not in any photos.

I have a child who is the same and it really does not present any problems, you just have to plan ahead and think a little (which of course you will be doing anyway).

With regard to the self registering thing, perhaps its time for a change, is the child old enough to draw a picture of themselves or could the child do some sticking and make pics out of precut pieces? If not why not change the pics to cats, dogs, ducks etc?

rickysmiths
08-08-2011, 08:39 AM
There could be a very good reason.

The family, for instance, could be part of a Witness Protection Plan and been moved with a new identity. It could therefore be extremly difficult if someone else caught sight of a photo.

It could be as innocent as prospective parent visiting and seeing those photos on the pegs or looking in your album could spark off problems and recognising the child.

I would sit down with the mum and ask her why. If the children need to be protected in some way you should know as it could affect your practice. Mum would have to tell a school and maybe only a couple of people would know but it means systems can be implimented if required. It is the same with you.

I think I would change my photo regisitration/pegs to themed photos for all the children. I have photos on their pegs and I was entertaining a lot in the run up to Christmas last year and didn't think I should have the photos on show. I did the four weeks up to Christmas, I week all different images of Father Christmas, then Christmas Trees, Snowmen and one week of fun charactors. It worked really well and even the 16mth old knew which was his peg.

You could still have a collage of photos of your setting and the activities your children do but don't include this child.

Do you have a Polariod Pogo Printer? If you do show the mum that it prints the photo and stores nothing. If you could reassure her that you will only use this to put photos in the LJ for her and you to see only, not even to show to OFSTED she may allow this. But gain her confidence first, change the photo hooks, Start the LJ and then ask another parent if you can share their one with the parent so she can see the difference.

A cm friend of mine had this and within a few weeks permission was given. The parents said they did not know her and needed to see what happened.

caz3007
08-08-2011, 09:25 AM
I had this with some children I looked after. They werent EYFS, but mum was adamant no photos. It did change as she got to know me. I will add that these children were with me for 5 years, not here now as too old and mum is a really good friend.

I think it was cos she training to be a SW and she didnt know me at first, she was the first of her friends to use me (several others did after) , so it wasnt as if she had come on a recommendation

Mouse
08-08-2011, 09:37 AM
I agree with what some of the others have said. You need to check why mum is so adamant.

If there is a genuine resaon, then go along with it. If it's just because she's not sure about how it works, explain to her what you will use photos for and ask if she would mind if the mindee was in photos, but not identifiable. For example, if they were doing craft, you could take photos just of their hands doing the craft.

If mum still insists on no photos, you need to consider what will happen at toddler groups etc, where other people may take photos and where you will have little control over it. Would mum expect you to stay away from these places or would she expect you to ensure no photos at all were taken (neither options is particularly practical). I would get some sort of permission, or written statement signed saying that when you are out & about you will make every effort to ensure the child doesn't get photographed, but that you can't say for certain it will never happen.

stinkycaterpillar
08-08-2011, 11:15 AM
She might object to you taking photos as it will be on your camera... going wherever and she's heard all the horror stories about nasties on the internet etc BUT if would probably be able to bring you a photo from home to use on your board of you explain that you don't want the child to be left out.

I have a self-registering board which is photos and a name on a card, won't this child feel left out/excluded!!

x

lulubelle
08-08-2011, 11:58 AM
i was going to suggest asking her to bring a photo for the self reg too!

love381
08-08-2011, 04:07 PM
Thanks for all your responses. I guess I kind of thought most of this already, but it's good to hear I'm on the right track!

I have a sheet of permissions for all sorts of things including photography which states:

I give permission for ________________________ (child) to be photographed or recorded on video by my childminder, Sam McCulloch. I am aware that these photographs and video clips may be used by my childminder in learning activities, to advertise her business or to record my child’s development. (See Photography Policy)

I am on the right track overall?!

Well, I've had a chat with mum today and she can't pinpoint why she doesn't want photographs taken. I do like the idea of asking her to bring one from home, althought, we'll see what she says to it! No matter what I said about why I normally take photos/how I'd use them etc, she just kept saying

I just don't know why I don't like photos being taken of my children, I just can't say what it makes me think because I just don't know. I don't even have many at home.

I tried explaining all sorts of things, but she's gone away to think about how/why I might need them. I've now created a new photgraphy form which is more specified, so she can choose how/why I can do photos and when I can't! Maybe she'll agree to the LJ and the self-registration ones!?

Just out of curiosity, does anybody else have/use self-registration?

x

Andrea08
08-08-2011, 04:22 PM
hi hun agree with above but your next point on self registration ..

i did do this with child's own photo and name but you could use themes such as animals or monsters or super heros or teddy n dolls, tv puppets instead of chid's photo although i did have a try per child with their own photo on you would have to use same picture for everything,

again show parent round your setting and show where the photoes are used on trays, notice board or coat hook etc and show examples of your EYFS learning obs sheets to show how these are used and how obs are part of legal requirements.

it is a shame if you can not use photoes etc but there are ways round it hun x

onceinabluemoon
08-08-2011, 05:34 PM
Well, I've had a chat with mum today and she can't pinpoint why she doesn't want photographs taken. I do like the idea of asking her to bring one from home, althought, we'll see what she says to it! No matter what I said about why I normally take photos/how I'd use them etc, she just kept saying

I just don't know why I don't like photos being taken of my children, I just can't say what it makes me think because I just don't know. I don't even have many at home.
Then I think you should just respect her wishes. She is adamant she doesn't want photos taken and that is that. Please don't keep trying to persuade her otherwise or you may just lose mindee because you are not adhering to parents wishes.

If Ofsted query it just remind them we are supposed to work with parents, not bend them to our way of thinking, lol! ;)
(As far as I know we have to make observations but as far as I'm aware nothing states we have to take photos - this could cause problems as some cultures believe it takes a part of the soul away so they can't say you have to take photos and be inclusive if that makes sense!)

Tealady
08-08-2011, 06:29 PM
I have my photo permissions split into catagories and parents sign against each one. I find they normally don't have a problem with the first one or two, but often don't sign for the rest.

Photos
Whilst your child is in my care I will be taking photographs for a variety of purposes. However, I do understand that parents may have concerns over this. Therefore I request that you tick the boxes according to your wishes. No payments will be made for the taking/using of photographs of your child.
·Child’s development records and Profile
·My personal photograph album (i.e. photos taken on trips, My own children’s Birthday Parties etc; usually out of the ordinary events that my own children are in attendance too.)
·My Childminding Display Board/Portfolio
·My Childminding Promotional Literature
·Press releases for Reading Early Years to promote Childminding
·Should I take your child to a fun day or some other event the local press may be in attendance and taking photos for the paper. Please can you indicate if you are happy for your child to be in any such pictures.

Lady Haha
08-08-2011, 07:58 PM
I must admit, I wouldn't want pics of my son to be used for his childminder's advertising, on her website for example. Maybe you could split the photo permissions up as previous poster said? Maybe too late for this one as you might seem like you're going on about it, but for future mindees?

Cammie Doodle
09-08-2011, 07:12 AM
Thanks for all your responses. I guess I kind of thought most of this already, but it's good to hear I'm on the right track!

I have a sheet of permissions for all sorts of things including photography which states:

I give permission for ________________________ (child) to be photographed or recorded on video by my childminder, Sam McCulloch. I am aware that these photographs and video clips may be used by my childminder in learning activities, to advertise her business or to record my child’s development. (See Photography Policy)

I am on the right track overall?!

I tried explaining all sorts of things, but she's gone away to think about how/why I might need them. I've now created a new photgraphy form which is more specified, so she can choose how/why I can do photos and when I can't! Maybe she'll agree to the LJ and the self-registration ones!?

Just out of curiosity, does anybody else have/use self-registration?

x

As a parent I would not want the bit about using my child's photo to advertise the Chilminders business.( Sorry don't mean to upset you)
I think if you take that part out it would be ok. Poor Mum I feel for them it must be so hard leaving your child when you read all the awful things in newsapapers about people who are supposed to be trusted to leave your children with. She may relax a bit as time goes on.

mama2three
09-08-2011, 07:27 AM
I was key worker to a pg child where parents were unhappy with photos being taken.
I got round it by taking photos from behind the child - so just their hands mark making for example - or just their feet / wellies splashing. The child was completely unrecogniseable to anyone else - but the photos worked well for the lj and to show parents what lo had being doing.
Maybe try taking a couple of photos of another child from this angle , show parents and see what they think. It wont help for your registration board - tbh I dont think this is a big issue I would just use any pic , maybe something the child relates to or theme related. It will help for lj / evidence though.