PDA

View Full Version : Advice re chickenpox please

cas2805
06-08-2011, 03:07 PM
Advice please! DS has chickenpox, I am still open for business, though said I would not charge if they decided not to send their kids. Two sent them and two kept them away. If one who came then catches it, I said happy for them to still come if within 2 weeks (as long as they feel well) though if the two who kept them away then kept them away for a further 10 days would they have to pay or should I refund? Confused, you will be!

blue bear
06-08-2011, 03:14 PM
In the past I have said children can come with chicken pox if well and all parents agree, so if one parent says no then child stays home.
You can take child with chicken pox and exclude well children. In fact I do not take with chicken pix or any other contagious disease any more and we are not meant to although many are flexible with chicken pox.

guest4
06-08-2011, 03:25 PM
My little ones have just ahd an outbreak of chicken pox.... I exclude until the spots have all scabbed over and send home a letter to inform other parents, in writing, that their child has been in contact with a child who was contagious.
Not sure what i would do in your situation but it does sound very confusing!!!!:eek:
Tracey x

nic t
06-08-2011, 05:02 PM
I might be wrong but think you could have made abit of a mistake here.

Fair enough if the parent wanted them to come and you were ok with that then that is fine, they are prepared to catch it and are taking that risk. But how can you then agree to take them if they get it knowing that you are going to inconvenience the other mindees parents who obv don't want to risk their children catching it as they haven't sent their kids to you when your own child had it. If you see what I mean?

Fron the parents point of view who doesn't want their child exposed to the chicken pox I would completely understand that I had to make alternative care plans as your own child is ill, that's just one of those things. However, if a couple of weeks later I was in the same position because you were allowing an infected child to attend I would not be impressed!

Goatgirl
06-08-2011, 05:03 PM
Hi :),
I would keep things simple and say as my child has cp that I am closed for 5 days (from when spots appeared), when the last spot will have crusted over and he will no longer be contagious. Normal charges for sickness will apply to any other children who may have caught it before diagnosis.

The only way I would stay open would be if ALL parents agreed and were prepared to pay as normal if their child caught it and happened to be poorly with it, so couldn't attend.

By letting mindees come into contact with your ds while he is known to be contagious, you are on dodgy ground to ask for payment if their children then catch it and need to stay away...

I also think it would be very unfair to exclude a well child from the setting because of allowing mindees with a contagious disease to attend.

Sorry.... probably not what you want to hear.

Obviously do what you are happy with: your business your rules :thumbsup:

Hope your son doesn't feel too poorly with it :)

best wishes,
Wendy :)

blue bear
06-08-2011, 05:22 PM
Oops just re read my post, should have said you can't take child with cp and exclude well child.

cas2805
06-08-2011, 06:43 PM
That all makes sense, thanks everyone. Will do an email out to all parents this evening. Also for some strange reason my policy says 5 days, I must add or until all scabbed over!

Thanks again and DS is well in himself and almost all scabbed now, but taking Monday off just in case:)

khlwomitchell
06-08-2011, 07:44 PM
To be honest the liklihood is all will get it! i had my one minded baby off for the week my eldest kid had it then when scabbed over my minded baby returned. Then my other two kids got it and baby did so it made no difference!
As i have only one paid child its was easier for me by far.
Unless medical reason, weak immune system or such, i personally feel why the fuss, over and done with and the parents then don't have to worry some time in the future thay will lose ten days to some spots!
I'm sure there are plenty who'd lynch me for the opinion
As a health visitor once said, when asked if a child should be deliberatly exposed, 'have you ever had any other thoughts about harming your child'!!

The Juggler
06-08-2011, 08:44 PM
i would be happy to take children if they wanted to send if mine had CP. However, I always explain that if their children then get it, I will not take them.

my kids having CP means a week of not going to toddlers, libraries or parks. If all my mindees then got it - that's a lot of weeks without going out :panic: :panic:

Mouse
06-08-2011, 09:06 PM
How long has your son had it & how long has this arrangement been for?

I think you have done the right thing in saying you're still open, but not charging if parents decide to keep their child away.

The mindees will all have been in contact with your son while he was infectious (up to 2 weeks before the spots even appear), so any of them could get it, whether or not they've been kept away now. If any of them go down with it, I would ask all the other parents how they feel about having the child in your setting. If any are against it, you will have to exclude the one with CP to allow the others to attend (you can't exclude the healthy ones in favour of the sick one). You would then charge your usual sickness fee, as per your contract.

I think you were possibly wrong to say you would accept children into your care with CP when it would appear some parents might not like it. I would write a letter to all parents explaining that you have been open while your son has CP, but as a gesture of good will have agreed not to charge if parents chose to keep their child away. But, if any of the mindees should get chicken pox and need to be excluded, your sickness charges will apply.

cas2805
06-08-2011, 11:04 PM
Thanks Mouse. He had a couple of spots last weekend, but they didn't come out until we were on the plane home Tuesday from Tenerife! So most on Tuesday/Wednesday. I have said we should be safe from Tuesday but will confirm nearer the time. I have now said will keep my 5 day policy in place. We were only away for a week and yes I agree some may have them already. One said not fair on kids in nursery if they sent him (comes to me 2 days and nursery 3 days) had to laugh as thought not many mothers would think that way!:laughing:

cas2805
06-08-2011, 11:06 PM
i would be happy to take children if they wanted to send if mine had CP. However, I always explain that if their children then get it, I will not take them.

my kids having CP means a week of not going to toddlers, libraries or parks. If all my mindees then got it - that's a lot of weeks without going out :panic: :panic:

I know Juggler, I am missing adult chat. Hubby out tonight and last night at a concert. Went to the park yesterday at 9am to avoid other children :)