PDA

View Full Version : Struggling

Tealady
06-08-2011, 01:30 PM
I've been minding for three years now and have tended to have children at simliar ages / developmental stages before or at least quite close.

After not having any little mindees for 2½ years, in June I took on a baby who turned 1 this week. I have my own DS who is 21mths. My own DD who is 5 (6 in November) and a Boy mindee who is 7½.

After taking on the baby it took me a few weeks to get into a routiune i.e right car seats in at right times, having the correct buggy to hand, preparing bottles, sterilising etc. Now that's all OK but I still struggle with activities and the logistics of such things.

I just feel that I'm not being as good a Mum/childminder as I could be. Both mindees are only children so seem to command my attention and it's always when I'm trying to sort another child.
I'm want to take the children out and about but it's finding something that is good for them all and is easy to supervise. I'm even finding a trup to the park stressful as I have to be hands on with the little ones, I don't feel it's fair to keep the one year old strapped in the buggy all the time but then the older two want to play on the more challenging equipment so it's keeping an eye on them too.

I'm sure I'll get into my stride soon and it will be less stressful but I'm just so paranoid also of somebody seeing me perhaps doing something they don't approve of and reporting me to Ofsted.

Twinkle-Toes
06-08-2011, 02:25 PM
Didn't want to read and run.

I am registered but not starting officially until September. Over the hols I have own 2 daughters 6 & 4 and my 2 nieces 1 & 8 and my nephew 6!

We go to the park etc but even with just the 1 little one I find I can't keep my eye on all of them at once and of course they all want to go on different things!

Sorry I can't offer any assistance, I will be watching out for any advice you get. Just wanted to let you know i'm in the same boat x

Ripeberry
06-08-2011, 03:00 PM
I try and pick certain parks that have all the equipment close together and have grass. One park I go to is great as I have two 1yr olds (both walking) and a now 3yr old mindees.
And at least I know the younger ones are not hurting themselves too much on the grass, they can walk around and not get up to too much trouble, whilst I sort out the older child who can be very adventurous!

AliceK
06-08-2011, 03:43 PM
I can sympathise. During the days I have a 3yr old, just 2yr old and 20mth old. The 3yr old is my own DD and she's ok to play in the playground without constant supervision however I need to be careful which playground I go to with the other 2 as the 2yr old is a right little daredevil and will make me go grey pretty soon she just climbs up everything and has no fear and the 20mth old hasn't been walking too long and is a very delicate little thing and not used to climbing etc so I need to be with her all the time. It's hard, sometimes I go when I know one of the younger ones will be asleep in the buggy :blush: . Otherwise we go for lots of walks in the woods etc with pushchair and wrist straps at the ready. If I have the 3 older children as well we go to a small safely enclosed playground and I know I can trust the older ones. It's not easy is it!!

xxxxx

pears
06-08-2011, 06:15 PM
it is hard to split yourself between them but at the park is it not possible for the 2 young ones to be pushed in a toddler swing while you watch the older ones play on the other equipment?perhaps our local park is just set up different but thats what i used to do:)

The Juggler
06-08-2011, 09:05 PM
i also choose small parks when I am minding especially with littlies. however, my 1 year olds were trying to climb and slide from a young age. I think at nearly 6 and 7 1/2 as long as you can see and rush over if any slips you don't need to supervise them too closely hon.:)

miffy
06-08-2011, 09:13 PM
I'd also stick to small parks that are not too busy so that it's easier to keep an eye on the older ones (make sure they know the boundaries/rules) whilst giving most of your attention to the younger ones.

If you can, involve the older ones with helping with the little ones - pushing them on the swings etc.

Miffy xx

JCrakers
09-08-2011, 09:09 AM
I stick to parks that are less busy. There is a lovely park about 20mins walk away but it is so busy its just not workable.

There is a park 5mins walk away from us which is great for all ages.
I am able to push little ones on swings while older ones play.

Maybe have a word with the older ones and say they are to only go on higher equipment when you are there. Set them boundaries where they know they have to wait until you are able to assist them. Then pop the little one in the buggy next to you while you help them.

Sometimes the little ones love to sit and watch the older ones :D
Dont feel bad about having a little sit down too if the children are safe and old enough to play without getting up to any harm a 10min sit down does us all good :D
Sometimes our park visits last up to 2hrs so Im often pooped after runiing about after 6 children.

But it all depends on what parks are available...im quite lucky to have this park on my doorstep which is just right for us all.

Yesterday I had a 2.5y old and 4yr old who played together. 3 boys 8,7and 5 and my dd 9 and her friend 9 who played together....had a fab time.

becky