PDA

View Full Version : How typical!!

JumpingJacks
05-08-2011, 08:16 PM
I have my inspection on Friday, came back off holiday yesterday and went out into the garden this morning and what did I find? A bush covered in bees/wasps! Think they are bees as look like they are pollenating. Can't see a nest but the bush is really think and I'm damned if I'm getting in to have a look! Contacted landlord and explained i needed it sorted ASAP (luckily I have a fab landlord!) he's struggling to get anyone in to sort it before Wednesday :(

I've risk assessed it and the garden will have to be shut off to my own children and mindees until it is sorted! Is there anything else I need to do?

Luckily I have a couple of days out planned next week!

Jac x

jayjay1963
05-08-2011, 08:22 PM
If they are swarming then they are definitely bees. Wasps tend to build a paper nest and they come and go a bit like an airport runway!

Jacqui

JumpingJacks
05-08-2011, 08:25 PM
If they are swarming then they are definitely bees. Wasps tend to build a paper nest and they come and go a bit like an airport runway!

Jacqui

Thanks. We were talking about this earlier as next door had a paper nest in their porch and he said the same. Hoping my landlord calls tomorrow with some news! Would really like my garden back and the dog isn't too impressed either!

love381
05-08-2011, 08:50 PM
Do a project on Bees?

One of the OFSTED ladies spoke to me about doing projects as they arise - quick thinking sort of ones!! She said they are a big plus point!! x

miffy
05-08-2011, 09:12 PM
You've done all that you can and I don't think it will matter if it's not sorted before Ofsted come as you've risk assessed and decided it's not safe to use the garden atm.

Good luck with the inspection

Miffy xx

JumpingJacks
05-08-2011, 09:25 PM
Good idea about the project! Thanks! Kids will probably enjoy watching the "bee man" in the garden! Will devise some activities over the weekend ;)

On closer inspection we think they are honey bees.

angeldelight
I agree with everyone else

Sounds like you have it all under control

Good luck with your inspection

Angel xx

JumpingJacks
You've done all that you can and I don't think it will matter if it's not sorted before Ofsted come as you've risk assessed and decided it's not safe to use the garden atm.

Good luck with the inspection

Miffy xx

Thank you x

jane5
05-08-2011, 09:26 PM
There were a swarm of bees on a tree outside my house about 10 years ago.
The queen landed there for what ever reasons and all of the bee's followed.
We had to phone a bee keeper to come and collect the queen which he was very happy to do as he got these bee's for free.

It was really good to watch (from inside the house :panic: ) and we filmed it, he smoked them and got a huge net and collected them from the tree.

If they are bee's they can not be destroyed so I would google a bee keeper and phone him for advice. Our bee keeper came out the same day.

Get the video camera ready and do a project for the lo's.

Let us know what happens :thumbsup:

rickysmiths
05-08-2011, 09:29 PM
Right if they are bees and it sounds as if they may be the swarm needs to be properly removed without harming the bees.

I don't know where you are in the country but here is a link to the British Bee Keepers association and there is info on what to do if you have a swarm and links to finding help.

http://www.bbka.org.uk/help/do_you_have_a_swarm.php

[I]f you are in another part of the country Scotland or Wales just google Bee Swarms Removal and a list of organizations appears.

It is my belief that a Bee Keeper will not charge to remove a swarm but you would have to check that out. Also Bee Keepers are usually available in out of typical office hours because many of them have day jobs, our friends do anyhow!.

sweets
06-08-2011, 07:37 AM
I would def taking the advice of ringing a local bee kepper,

I wouldnt want to leave them till wednesday :eek:

It will be interesting to watch tho, from the safety of inside of course :thumbsup:

JumpingJacks
06-08-2011, 02:18 PM
The beekeeper has been and has said they are not swarming there is just a fair few of them.Honey bees and bumble bees, Just feeding apparently. They may have a 'home' somewhere local. He has advised us that we probably won't get rid of them unless we cut the bush down. So guess what we will be doing tonight once the kids are fed and ready for bed!

Thanks all for your advice! No project for mindees as hopefully they will be gone by tomorrow!

AliceK
06-08-2011, 03:34 PM
Bees won't hurt you unless they are threatened. I have lots of huge bushes and hedges in my garden and about 2 months ago one of the hedges was covered in bees, they were feeding. It was right were I had to put my hand up to unlock one of my back gates and the bush runs along the side driveway where I park the car. At no point did they bother me or take any notice of me coming and going. They have more or less left that bush now but now by my back garage door we have a lovely budliea (sp?) tree and that is also attracting large amounts of bees, again I am in and out of the garage all day long and even sit at the patio table right next to the bush and they don't worry about me. I wouldn't worry too much bees will leave you alone. Now wasps :panic: , that's a different story, I will kill them as soon as look at them :angry:

xxxx