PDA

View Full Version : fave progs for los

jadavi
05-08-2011, 03:37 PM
Does anyone have any fave progs on Sky TV for little ones that I can record? My autistic 2 yo mindee seems to like quiet baby things that talk gently to each other and language skills are emphasised - particularly good for this one as he has no speech so far but likes to make noises.

Thomas Tank was not as engrossing as I'd thought for him (maybe sick of it)
trying Bob builder and Little Bear and Sleepy stories next.

Looking for cute gentle progs with a bit of converstaion between characters that I can talk to him about as we watch,
20 years ago my boys loved a prog about a black dog and white cat puppet that just chatted - called something like Playtime...does anyone remember ha ha

jac

Any other faves?

Helen79
05-08-2011, 03:52 PM
I've noticed that Thomas the Tank isn't good for encouraging communication as their faces don't talk iyswim. It's all narrated type talking and their mouths don't actually move.

Not sure what other programmes would be good. Things like Peppa pig and Ben & Holly are quite gentle without too much background music to distract from the talking.

QualityCare
05-08-2011, 03:53 PM
When my friends son was young (he's autistic) he would watch rainbow over and over, he had all the videos and if ever he was upset one of those would calm him. I would try 'something special' as this involves signing as well and is quite engaging for little ones.

Playmate
05-08-2011, 04:07 PM
Does anyone have any fave progs on Sky TV for little ones that I can record? My autistic 2 yo mindee seems to like quiet baby things that talk gently to each other and language skills are emphasised - particularly good for this one as he has no speech so far but likes to make noises.

Thomas Tank was not as engrossing as I'd thought for him (maybe sick of it)
trying Bob builder and Little Bear and Sleepy stories next.

Looking for cute gentle progs with a bit of converstaion between characters that I can talk to him about as we watch,
20 years ago my boys loved a prog about a black dog and white cat puppet that just chatted - called something like Playtime...does anyone remember ha ha

jac

Any other faves?

I have just tried googleing ut can't find it, wasn't it called playbox my son(now 19) loved it!

sorry no other suggestions, not very upto date with children's TV as my mindees rarely watch it here.

jane5
05-08-2011, 04:16 PM
My friends child who has a syndrome similar to autism likes waybuloo and in the night garden. They are quite soothing but have interesting noises.

nic t
05-08-2011, 04:28 PM
One of my LOs with a development delay watches Something Special . It's on for 20 minutes and she loves Mr Tumble!!!

jayjay1963
05-08-2011, 04:43 PM
All my LO's love Something Special, Waybuloo, and Peppa Pig. One of them would sit in front of the T.V. all day I swear!

Jacqui

Greengrass74
05-08-2011, 04:47 PM
Sorry cant really help as we very rarely watch tv. We do have a couple of DVD's that are especially for Autism and the kids love them.

They are

THE TRANSPORTERS narrated by Stephen Fry

http://www.thetransporters.com/

scroll down to Home Pack – British English version

jayjay1963
05-08-2011, 05:03 PM
Sorry cant really help as we very rarely watch tv. We do have a couple of DVD's that are especially for Autism and the kids love them.

They are

THE TRANSPORTERS narrated by Stephen Fry

http://www.thetransporters.com/

scroll down to Home Pack – British English version

Just had a quick look at this, think it could be useful with one of my LO's recently diagnosed with Asbergers, thanks:)

Jacqui

kellib
05-08-2011, 05:34 PM
My son really likes the Disney Junior channel right now, Handy Manny, Jake and the Neverland Pirates etc

sweets
05-08-2011, 05:44 PM
the favourite programme in my house at the moment is ben and holly, I plus it every morning and we all watch it together :blush:

We spent the afternoon today playing 'big bad barry' :laughing:

caz3007
05-08-2011, 05:52 PM
We like Something Special and Come Outside. My LO who is 1 loves these and has a smile on her face the whole time they are on. She also loves the Teletubbies. We dont watch them every day, but yesterday as it was raining we did.

love381
05-08-2011, 09:02 PM
We all love Something Special in here, even have to rewind it sometimes so they can watch it again (naughty having two lots of TV time in one go!!)

We do like Ben & Holly's Little Kingdom and have 'acted' some of them out!! We HAVE watched far too much of Peppa Pig as my middlies 'act' ALL of them out near enough ALL of the time, but we are all HUGE PEPPA PIG fans!! Been to a live show and everything!! My youngests fourth word was PEPPA!!

Something Special was a favourite of a friend's son when he was around about 2 years old - he didn't say words at the time and was diagnosed with Autism at aged 7!!

x

Ali56
06-08-2011, 06:53 PM
Little mindee's all love my spot the dog dvd and the eric carle dvd of his stories, including the very hungry caterpillar. We do watch some tv and one mindee loves mickey mouse clubhouse-think that would be to 'busy' for an autistic mindee.
We also love little bear stories. I record them sometimes to watch when it suits us. :)

mushpea
06-08-2011, 07:16 PM
I used to watch somthing special with an ex mindee but the children I have now dont seem to have the attention span to sit and watch the tv or maybe its because its on in the background all the time at home but what ever the reason they wander off to play half way through the program and they are 3.5yrs and just 3yrs old