PDA

View Full Version : Toys

Cazz
06-05-2008, 05:42 PM
I'm trying to get organised and was wondering how do you box your toys? For example: do you have a box with vehicles, another with lego, another with dolls etc etc or do you box them so that they are age appropriate? Obviously some toys that a three year old would play with may not be suitable for a one year old so how do you organise it so that all the children have safe toys?

Also, do you have all your toys out at once or do you bring different ones out on a weekly basis?

Just wondered what works best as you are experienced childminders!

Thanks.

Carole x

mrsb
06-05-2008, 06:08 PM
I have 2 boxes with a bit of everything in that I alternate monthly because to be honest we're not here much of the time as I work at a pre school too so the mindee comes with me then we get home, have lunch, play in the garden etc then it's school pick up time then they go home lol.

sarah707
06-05-2008, 06:47 PM
I have open shelving from Ikea and lots of toy boxes labelled up with the names and pictures of the contents.

I also have 1 cupboard with messy play stuff in and I'm sorry, I don't care what the current thinking is, I will not let children access it without supervision!

Some boxes are on higher shelves than others... that is how I make sure baby doesn't grab the Polly Pockets etc :D

crazybones
06-05-2008, 07:37 PM
I am similar to Sarah. My messy stuff is in a box away from them too. :panic: We had a playdoh problem once - dont buy the ELC stuff anymore as it stained my floor as it was stuck to the bottom of a sock.

miffy
06-05-2008, 07:39 PM
I rotate boxes of toys and also children can help themselves

They know what toys I have and ask if they want something out

miffy xx

donnahay0
06-05-2008, 08:50 PM
Alas I don't have much space to store toys so I have everything in boxes with labels and have taken photos of everything. The children look throught the photo albums to choose things they would like to do and I bring in several boxes at a time. There are some toys that stay inside most of the time and I rotate them around every now and then.

The children seem to like choosing from the photo album and it works quite well.

I do wish I had a play room where it could all be left out - maybe in another life.

charleyfarley
07-05-2008, 05:59 AM
I have open storage units from Argos filled with stacker boxes that are labelled.
Children can access the lower boxes themselves but all the heavy or messy play items are high up out of reach.

I did used to rotate but now we have the playroom it's much better.

Carol xx

Tatia
07-05-2008, 08:27 AM
I have shelves built into alcove of chimney breast wall with 8 seagrass baskets, plus a host of other baskets, boxes and bits dotted about. Toys separated by age as well as subject with messy play, electronics and board games at higher levels cos they need more supervision. I keep a basket of toys just for the 1 year old, that I set on the floor with him so he can choose what he wants for free play plus he has access to cuddly toys, train set, mega blocks castle and farm, that sort of stuff.

sarah707
07-05-2008, 08:35 AM
I was reading an interesting article on this last night... it was saying that although adults like to keep things orderly and in appropriate boxes etc...

Children might benefit from things being set out according to interests.

So if Johnny is into the cars, put some car related books in the car box and maybe a toolkit, so he can read and role play mechanics rather than just brum the cars around... then expand it by leaving out big paper and pencils and make a road track together.

I think this is probably what we all do already but without realising it.

What's great is that we are meeting so many parts of the eyfs by doing it this way and still working to the child's interests. :D

angeldelight
07-05-2008, 08:37 AM
My toys are all in different boxes and the children can get to them easy

Like Sarah though they are not allowed to use paints - glue etc unless we are doing the activity together
Imagine the mess if I allowed it - I just dread to think!!

Angel xx

sarah32
07-05-2008, 08:38 AM
I dont have a play room but have a room which i call the shed where I store all my toys, they are all boxed with labels and pictures on them. I have a number of toys that stay in the living room/dining room. I just change them around every couple of days.

I also have a bit of room in between my bookcases where I managed to buy some small stacking boxes and I keep a selection of toys for the age of the children I have at the moment, they can then pick if they want something else out.

berkschick
07-05-2008, 08:40 AM
Under the stairs which is open, are all the younger childrens stuff. They can freely help themselves to anything they want out.

In the playroom, I have 2 cupboards with locks on so only I can get the stuff out! I was fed up with sorting out puzzles, board games etc all the time where they tipped them all out.

There are also drawers cars, blocks, trains, etc all labeled with pics that they can help themselves too. I also have a large craft box up high for obvious reasons!