PDA

View Full Version : Potty training at 17 months

caz3007
05-08-2011, 09:16 AM
Aarrrggghhh. Sister of Lo is 18 and turns up today and says I think mum is going to potty train while you are on holiday.

Lo is bright, but not that bright, there is no way she knows when she is weeing or pooing. She is only 17 months and its way to early. Other Lo is a year older, but isnt ready either. Over the weekend I am going to write a potty training policy and send it home on Monday. :D

rickysmiths
05-08-2011, 09:44 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only one!!

I have a 16mth old. Not talking yet does know when he has pooed always cries but thats after the event! No idea about wees.

Mum arrives back after her weeks holiday and anounces that her mum has said he should be potty trained now :eek:

I said no, try in a years time!. The next day he was in pull ups :eek:

I've put a stop to that as well. Personally I hate Pull ups anyway and definately not on a 16 mth old. He is tiny as well so they were practically hanging off the poor fellow.

Me thinks I need to refresh my Potty Training Policy as I curently have a 13mth, a 16mth and a 2yrs come Sept. :thumbsup:

Andrea08
05-08-2011, 09:45 AM
hi when Lo is collected mention that you heard that parents were thinking of starting potty training and say that in your oppinion the norm is to start after the child is 2yrs old or when the child has good CLL skills to inform you of their needs and you are prepared to give then a copy of your potty training procedure ,

try find some good websites for advice that you can pass on to the family and any info leafletts too

xx

caz3007
05-08-2011, 10:12 AM
Thanks, I will do that, do a policy and find some websites for mum. I dont actually see mum, sister drops off and dad collects, but he doesnt live with them and I dont discuss anything other than giving him a quick run down of our day, not that he listens

linzi133
05-08-2011, 07:07 PM
i am in the same boat....mum has been trying to potty train for the past month!!!! I have been supporting her up to a point but LO does not ask to use the potty and whenever I ask he always says no! However at home he has about 10 wees a day:rolleyes: ....mum does say he always says no when she asks but she puts him on anyway.

I ask him and put him on the potty at pull up changing time but he only ever manages maximum 2 wees a day at mine. When we started I used proper pants but after days of having 5 'aaccidents' a day I stopped using pants and used the pull ups that mum provided.

LO is very bright but is soo not ready for potty training but it all started 1 weekend when he refused to wear a nappy ....so mum decided it must be time to potty change.

I have just had a week off and mum was going to get rid of pull ups (as per my policy)....but I really don't think he will be ready but hey ho....Monday will be the day I find out!

mushpea
05-08-2011, 07:43 PM
my son was trained at 17.5months and with very little input from me! he used to wear cloth nappies and one day at toddler group he came up to me and said 'dede' which normaly ment his nappy was wet,, i checked and said no its still dry go and play,, a couple minutes later he was back in tears with a wet nappy from that day he told me every time he need to go and we had the week of the odd accident and he was trained,, I was totaly shocked cause my daughter was 4.5yrs and still having accidents so had no intention of training him so early but he just did it,, he didnt have 'proper' language but would say 'dede' each time he needed to go.
on the other hand I have a parent with 16month old who is talking about potty training and this child dosent have a clue,, I really think parents need to wait untill the child indicates they are ready in some way .

funemnx
05-08-2011, 07:58 PM
I've got a little lad who's 2 1/2 and done very well using the toilet - his sister has seen this and shown an interest but only 18m! I think she will be using the potty soon and has good language skills and also pulling her nappy off saying wee wee - not that I want to train her now as we'll have wee all over the place!!! :thumbsup:

love381
05-08-2011, 08:56 PM
My first son was potty trained at 15 months - he watched two 3 year old boys training as they weren't ready before becoming 3 at all and he loved it, really wanted to be with them, be grown up!! NO ACCIDENTS at all with him, was so pleased, saved a fortune in nappies. He's always been bright for his age - working on Year 7 work sent from the feeder High School when he's in Year 5!!!

It depends on the child! x

caz3007
05-08-2011, 09:06 PM
Whilst I realise there are plenty of children who are trained early, this particular LO isnt ready. I was reading a few online potty training policies and she doesnt have any of the pointers that she is ready. I think its too early and whilst I will support mum if thats what she decides, but she has to do the groundwork and cant see it working out.

I have just supported a LO potty training in the last 6 weeks and it took a while for him to use the potty here, but was fine at home, but we have cracked it now.

The Juggler
06-08-2011, 08:02 AM
i think mushpea and others are right it totally depends on the child and their own readiness - under 2 is very early so is unusual.

However, there seems to be a slight underlying hint to this thread that only very bright children potty train early or because they do train early this means they are highly intelligent and I think we need to be careful about making such suggestions - especially in conversation with parents:panic: It's about physical readiness and communication skills (rather than langauge)

My children were both late at potty training but whilst dd flies at school ds needs lots of support and struggles so def. no correlation there.:)

singingcactus
06-08-2011, 08:12 AM
It's about physical readiness and communication skills (rather than langauge)

I'll back this up. All three of mine came out of nappies very early, but not one of them had any language skills. They let me know with their body language, and their actions when they were ready for a wee, or poop. It's not at all about language, it's about being in partnership with the child who is potty training.
It is equally about the care provider being ready, not just the child.

watgem
07-08-2011, 12:42 PM
I'm glad I'm not alone, 2 mums of 2 17 month olds announced they will be potty training while I'm on my 2 weeks vacation after next week, both children are pre-verbal and give no indication of potty awareness, one child is on special milk which gives him awful diarrhea, I'm dreading it!

boxtree7
07-08-2011, 01:14 PM
this seems to be the new in thing ................... potty training now starts at 15 months .. a mum of 17 month old came to me and said ive started to potty train - mum puts him on the potty with food - he shows no signs of nowing that hes wet or soiled - I explained to the mum i won't be working with her on this one. I really don't see the hurry theres so much more to do and achieve.

Mrs.L.C
07-08-2011, 02:15 PM
I think it is a bit early. Most children are not physically ready until 18 months at the earliest. I know there are a few children who have managed earlier but most of the time, unless a child shows the signs they are ready then its not worth trying until they are older. Trying too early when a child is not ready can have a negative effect which will only make it harder later on.

Maybe advise parents to look out for the signs -
dry nappy after a nap
Telling an adult when they are wet/soiled
Taking nappy off esp 1st thing or after a nap etc

And then when they are showing these signs, moved forward.

Theres no harm in getting the child used to the bathroom, sitting on a potty or toilet (only if child wants to), hearing the toilet flush, washing their hands after etc

Hope parents listen to your advice

caz3007
07-08-2011, 03:18 PM
Thanks ladies. I will see mum tomorrow evening as LO is staying late cos dad cant collect. I will have a quick chat to her, we do have a good relationship even though I dont see her much. I must admit LO's sister did appear confused about some other stuff, so hoping she was about this too :thumbsup:

linzi133
08-08-2011, 01:27 PM
hooray... I think my mum has seen sense!

She said she gave up after 1day as he didn't ask to use the potty and when she did put him on the potty and he used it, he still had accidents and after changing him 5 times in one hour and twice getting herself changed she realised that he wasn't ready.

I'm so pleased. ... although a little surprised she gave up soo quick as she was soo detirmined!