PDA

View Full Version : Housework

Mollymop
06-05-2008, 04:31 PM
Not long now until my first ever mindee starts and I just wanted to know what sort of housework you do in the day while you are looking after the children.
It's just that on my icp course months ago our tutor gave me the impression that you can wipe down surfaces but you should leave all your washing up/washing/cleaning until they have gone home.
Surely there is nowt wrong with doing hte washin gup after lunch and putting the washing on while the mindees are here?

Is it ok?

Jinx
06-05-2008, 04:55 PM
I get the washing on before the mindee(s) arrive, then he comes outside with me and helps me hang it out..(or drags it round the garden!)
I tend to wash up the lunch things as I go, ie. when they are in highchairs having lunch!
I sometimes hoover, with the little one hoovering behind me with a mini henry or sitting on my hoover!
After school its snack time, so whilst they are strapped in highchairs I throw something together for the families tea.
Ironing never gets done. Even whilst mindee is asleep! Thats what teenage daughters are for!!!!!

I probably break all the rules! But the children are always either involved in helping me and enjoying themselves doing it, or eating!

Jinx x:thumbsup:

littlestar
06-05-2008, 04:57 PM
i got the impresion from my tutor at college that doing the washing and little tidying while the kids were around was good, helped with there living skills as long as you make it fun for them.

miffy
06-05-2008, 05:01 PM
Blimey I'd have to wash up and tidy up as I go through the day or it would drive me mad - I can't see anything wrong in that

Mostly I do the washing and hoovering before I start in the morning but if there is a mess to hoover up (made by the mindees) then I'll do it.

The only thing I wouldn't do while the mindees are here is iron.

miffy xx

sarah707
06-05-2008, 05:25 PM
I discuss this with parents before their child starts - I do some housework, around the children or with their help.

I will always wash up (not hygienic otherwise) and do the carpet / floor if needed.

I put loads of washing in and hang them out.

Apart from that, I do most of it when the children have gone :D

Alibali
06-05-2008, 05:36 PM
Child minding provides a home like environment for children, I'm sure most people do housework when their own kids are there, so that is normal. Anything can be educational, as long as there is no risk it should be ok to do. One of the benefits of working from home:D

Ali x

devoncm
06-05-2008, 05:42 PM
the mindee i had that cried all the time would only not cry most of time if he was sat in front a going washing machine so yes thats when i done my washing, the dishes got done while he was in highchair having a snack and i would sing nursery rhymes or play a game of bee bo with him by just turning away from him he loved that.

Banana
06-05-2008, 05:54 PM
I do light housework - mainly clearing up after the kids. Hoovering etc after mealtimes/messy crafts, washing up after meals, and I will stick a load of washing in here or there. I dont iron, or do any heavy cleaning - thats all done in my time outside of work

x

crazybones
06-05-2008, 06:00 PM
I would have loved to have mopped my kitchen floor earlier - it is a mess of mud and grass, mostly from me popping in and out the door for drinks and stuff while lo's were running round with water all day. I cant even do it yet until Will is in bed because his PJs are slightly too long and they would be wet all over the bottom :rolleyes: If I leave it long enough hubby might do it :laughing:

Jinx
06-05-2008, 06:07 PM
I would have loved to have mopped my kitchen floor earlier - it is a mess of mud and grass, mostly from me popping in and out the door for drinks and stuff while lo's were running round with water all day. I cant even do it yet until Will is in bed because his PJs are slightly too long and they would be wet all over the bottom :rolleyes: If I leave it long enough hubby might do it :laughing:

Its always the same. I look forward to the summer, as the children will be outside and the house will stay tidy......:doh: NOT.
Instead, the floor is covered in grass and sand and sweaty foot prints!!! Yuck!

:laughing: :laughing:

Jinx x

mrsb
06-05-2008, 06:12 PM
housework what's that:eek: :laughing:

seriously though, I do whatever needs doing while they are there, I'll often wash up and my mindee will stand on a chair next to me and wash his play plates etc in a bowl on the draining board. I never iron while they are here but if I need to hoover, or empty a bin etc then I'll do it, I've even given him a duster before when we have tidied out the cupboards etc:)

crazybones
06-05-2008, 06:23 PM
From what I can gather none of us do ironing unless the forum is down:D

That made me laugh. But during the day if its a few minutes free to do something - *** the housework just come on the forum. :laughing:

sarah32
06-05-2008, 06:24 PM
I do the basic, washing up and hoovering after lunch and snacks. Got fed up dragging the big hoover out so bought myself one of those little hand held hoovers. The kids think its funny chasing me around hooving up.:laughing:

Gherkin
06-05-2008, 07:17 PM
I have been known to vacuum if the floor is looking hideous, we sometimes play "lets find what toys, pencils [insert as appropriate] are now living un der the sofa" and I have to wash up, wipe sides down and sweep kitchen floor.

I long for a dishwasher, would like a floor that swallows crumbs as all the children mine included seem to leave half the food on the floor (my cooking is not that bad) and I sweep twice a day minimum!!!!

I want the elves to come and help me please.

disney
06-05-2008, 07:19 PM
i do some light house work i wash the pots as i have my kitchen window that over looks my play room so i can see them playing i hoover , hang out washing , dusting . would never iron and only do bits down stairs not up .:)

Pipsqueak
06-05-2008, 07:24 PM
Wash up/stack dishwasher as required
Hoover and wipe surfaces/highchair/floors as required

The children help sort (clean) washing - they also help peg/unpeg washing if there is some on the go (this helps with motor /life skills, colours, counting, pairing things etc)

As appropriate children are expected to help clear up their mess (plates, cups, toys etc)

Its a home environment and thats why parents choose it!

The bulk of my "housework" gets done in the evenings (well at least thats what I maintain) and weekends:D

katickles
06-05-2008, 07:29 PM
i do things as we go. Wash dishes, load/unload the dishwasher. 1 of my mindees loves & I mean loves the washing machine. So with his help we load & un load that. Never any washing needing doing when that lo is around!:laughing:

I always clean work surfaces & highchairs throughout the day, no way would I leave them. I also sweep & if needed hoover.

Obviously, things like gutting the kitchen, bathrooms etc are done while i'm not "working", but there are times when you will need to clean through-out the day. I also think that it helps with living skills.:)

berkschick
06-05-2008, 07:32 PM
I make beds, hoover, wash floors, clean downstairs loo, empty dishwasher and load washing machine before they arrive ( no wonder I am worn out lol)

Dusting, cleaning upstairs and bathrooms get left to the weekend/evening.

I will hang out washing and load dishwasher as we go along. I never clean as such when they are here. If they made a huge mess I would clean it up though!

bubbly
06-05-2008, 07:40 PM
I will always wash up (not hygienic otherwise) and do the carpet / floor if needed.

I put loads of washing in and hang them out.

Apart from that, I do most of it when the children have gone :D

That's what I do too :)

Michelle M
06-05-2008, 08:44 PM
I hoover, wash floors, polish or dust downstairs, empty dishwasher and load washing machine, clean the toilet, feed the guinea pigs before they arrive

donnahay0
06-05-2008, 08:45 PM
Pretty much the same as everybody else.

I started my little mindee today with the washing basket - I folded it up after he handed me each item - learning to say 'ta' - seems to be working and it made good observation notes. Won't be long before I can send him up chimney.

Mollymop
07-05-2008, 06:46 AM
Thanks for your replies!

wendywu
07-05-2008, 07:13 AM
Whats housework?:laughing:

Tatia
07-05-2008, 08:21 AM
I do washing up of dishes, general tidying of toys and bits, wipe down the work surfaces asday goes by. Also do the laundry but have an ironing service so no worries about that, thank goodness!:) But the rest, like hoovering, sweeping and mopping kitchen and bathroom floors and cleaning the bathroom happens when they leave in the evening. I sleep til the last minute and as my first mindee shows up at 6:45, no way do I have time in the mornings!:eek:

angeldelight
07-05-2008, 08:40 AM
I do the main things before children arrrive

Then I do whatever I can through out the day with the kids helping if they can

I would not iron or do jobs like the windows and the curtains etc I wait till the children have gone for those sort of jobs

I think its about common sense like most things

Angel xx