PDA

View Full Version : Strange phone call - is it genuine?

MissTinkerbell
06-05-2008, 03:22 PM
I had a really strange phone call today. They asked to speak to owner of my childminding business - can only think got number from Yell.com as it was on my mobile.

He said it was police something or other. He asked how things were and I said I was waiting for my registration. Wanted to know when this would be and had I got any children lined up. He then said he'd ring back when I was up and running.

Have you had a call like this? Is it geniune or should I be wary next time?

Blaze
06-05-2008, 03:24 PM
I had a similar last week...it's for advertising...or so they say!:rolleyes:

Pipsqueak
06-05-2008, 03:26 PM
Hi Mel

I would be very wary about this. I think you should report this to your CIS and Dev Officer as well. If you ring your local police station they may be able to advise you if there is someone doing a ring round, it will also put them on alert too!

Something doesn't ring true about this - did they give a name. Have you got a number on your mobile they were ringing from. Did you ask them any questions?

xxx

caza
06-05-2008, 03:27 PM
I agree I have run my own ironing business from home for the last couple of years and I have had phonecalls from people who ask all sort of seemingly odd questions before they try to get you to advertise with them! There is nothing worse than a complete stranger phoning you and asking how you're doing and what sort of day you're having etc.

Caroline

Blaze
06-05-2008, 03:29 PM
Sorry...little one got his foot stuck in the stair gate...I was gonna add that this was on that scamming programme only last night...cept they were approaching businesses in person rather than on the phone. If ever in doubt...don't part with ought!:thumbsup:

MissTinkerbell
06-05-2008, 03:48 PM
I thought that it was odd but as it was awkward time (waiting for eldest to come out of school) I didn't really comprehend the call to be honest. He gave no name, just said he was from Police something or other and then asked about childminding business. I didn't really give anything away. The number was a private number.

Thought it was odd because if it was the police then surely they would have rung landline rather than mobile? Mind you my CRB was clear so why should the police need to contact anyway - this was what alerted me.

Thanks

Pudding Girl
06-05-2008, 04:01 PM
There is some kind of a police mag that ring round and try to get you to advertise, and yes they do apear all pally and ask how your day was etc before launching into what they want.

Don't worry it's nothing except a slightly strange advertising tactic. They trawl through places like yell to get numbers. Do the sensible thing and any more like it, asking for the owner of business or whatever, just put phone straight down :)

Pipsqueak
06-05-2008, 04:04 PM
WOuldn't you think that the police advertising would know better than to approach childcare places in this manner!!:panic:

Pudding Girl
06-05-2008, 04:12 PM
yup but they are just salespeople doing what they have been told to and trying to make a killing. If you are concerned I would put in a complaint about their methods.

crazybones
06-05-2008, 04:25 PM
I had the same call last week and posted on here about it. It was to advertise in a Police Magazine for £125 per year.

miffy
06-05-2008, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the warning - will know what to do if i get the call

miffy xx

angeldelight
07-05-2008, 09:53 AM
Yes thanks for the warning

I think these people have a damn cheek

Angel xx

Natasha
12-05-2008, 08:26 PM
Strange that you said that because a couple of weeks ago I had a well dressed young man come to my door stating that he was working with the police dept and they were giving quotes for alarm systems. When i told him hubby was not home he wanted to take my details anyway. DEclined of course. He had no badge or identification on his body.

Never showed up again. I guess all you can do is go with instinct. That is never wrong.

amyk
13-05-2008, 10:37 PM
I too had this, just yesterday!!

i nearly died when they guy said 'its xxxx calling from kent police' or whatever it was he said, my heart beat so fast!
then he said-nothing to worry about, just calling about advertising in our new magazine, heard i was a new business, and did i want an a3 page all to myself in their new magazine thats going round to schools?

not for £140 i dont thankyou very much!! i cut the call short when he told me the advert fees!!

and has anyone else noticed that they're getting at least 4 calls per week all from advert companies? i was reg in jan, but have been on netmums and yell.com for a month or so, i keep asking them where they get my number, they all tell me its from some database!!

very annoying!!

Amy x