PDA

View Full Version : Development Officers??

VINASOL
04-08-2011, 11:34 AM
I've been registered since July last year, minding since September last year, and inspected in January this year and achieved a GOOD.

In all this time I have never met or had any dealings with a DO.

I often read on this forum to 'speak to your DO' for advice etc etc, but how many of us do not even know who our DO is or have never met them?

Ant_h18
04-08-2011, 11:39 AM
Are DO is very good and supportive, it's a little hard to get in contact with her because she out dealing with things but once she see a miss call she rings back.

manjay
04-08-2011, 11:41 AM
I've been registered since July last year, minding since September last year, and inspected in January this year and achieved a GOOD.

In all this time I have never met or had any dealings with a DO.

I often read on this forum to 'speak to your DO' for advice etc etc, but how many of us do not even know who our DO is or have never met them?

It depends on where you live! Some areas don't have a DO, some have one provided by the local Authority and some Local Authorities buy a package from NCMA which means your DO will be from NCMA.

I saw my DO once before I registered which is all that is in her remit to provide. Again they will each have different roles. In my area it is the role of the DO to promote childminding in the parts of the county that have little childcare or are considered an area of deprivation.

Do you have an Early Years team who you could contact to find out of there is one in your area?

Penny1959
Unfortunatley in some areas there are no DO's at all. In others there are but not childminding one - just generic ones. In other areas they have DO's - but they only support those who get a satisfactory or inadequate grade.

It really is a post code lottery as to if you have a DO or not.

Penny :)

Twinkle-Toes
Are they part of the Early Years council team??

I filled in loads of forms at my briefing session regarding getting a mentor, training and Family Information Service etc and NO ONE has ever got back to me!!

So i ended up sorting the FIS and training myself directly.....

Rubybubbles
04-08-2011, 12:21 PM
I must a a lucky one then! In buckinghamshire all areas have their own DO, mine is lovely, I see her once a month at the local childminder drop in, but she is always on the end of the phone or email if I need anything.

I haven't 'needed' her as such, and loved her face when I was talking about the data thing teehee!

You'll get everything you need from this forum in my view:thumbsup:

The Juggler
04-08-2011, 12:30 PM
we have one but we might as well not have :laughing: :laughing:

Playmate
04-08-2011, 12:46 PM
who is your LA Vinasol? maybe someone who is in the same county maye able to advise as to whether you should have one. Hertfordshire no longer have them, we lost everything in March and I think many areas are the same :(

mummyMia
04-08-2011, 12:57 PM
I have one and she is lovely. Although she does go a little over the top with the things she wants me to do. She works Mondays and Tuesdays at the SureStart children's centre where I attend a toddler group (not run by her). I stop in at the reception every week and always have a quick chat. If I need anything she books in a time to come and see me. She has been a huge help.

I might easily have not been so lucky. When I was registering I was told I would get a CDO eventually but nobody knew who it would be and when it would happen. I was told that they have huge workloads and many had recently left leaving empty posts behind. Well I had lots of questions and just kept hassling the one at the children's centre regularly until she sort of became my CDO because she couldn't avoid me any longer:)

VINASOL
06-08-2011, 06:29 PM
who is your LA Vinasol? maybe someone who is in the same county maye able to advise as to whether you should have one. Hertfordshire no longer have them, we lost everything in March and I think many areas are the same :(

I'm in West Kent. I just think that it would have been nice to have someone to talk to/help (apart from this great site of course)...

brightstar
06-08-2011, 07:18 PM
I have one, but I seem to have mislaid her :laughing: :laughing: I never see her and get my support from other minders. I know shes out there somewhere, some people have spotted her :laughing: So much for NCMA.

Newbie1!
07-08-2011, 07:29 AM
We have one but its a bit pointless really!! She works Tuesday afternoons and Thursday afternoons - usually Thursdays are committed to paperwork and very often Tuesdays are catching up on meetings etc.

I called her once to arrange to see her as I was getting worried about my paperwork and it was 7 weeks before she could see me - then it ended up being a very brief ten mins at mine with a rushed 'call me if you ever need anything' have called twice since then and left two messages on mobile but no returned call so have given up now..will just battle through alone and with you guys on here of course!! xx

ChocolateChip
07-08-2011, 09:27 PM
I didn't see one for the first two years, then got one who visited once and never heard from her again, she left and the new one was very helpful, but now she has left! :(
Goodness knows if we will get a replacement.

Pipsqueak
08-08-2011, 07:11 AM
Our CDO is lovely - very very busy lady but really knows her stuff and is very very helpful. she is nursery experienced based but has been doing the job long enough to be 'into' childminders although she sometimes forgets that we are home based and you have to remind her.

Generally she is very supportive though.

Rubybubbles
08-08-2011, 07:52 AM
Our CDO is lovely - very very busy lady but really knows her stuff and is very very helpful. she is nursery experienced based but has been doing the job long enough to be 'into' childminders although she sometimes forgets that we are home based and you have to remind her.

Generally she is very supportive though.

sounds like mine, although mine was a childminder which I feel makes all the difference as they have 'been' through what we go through.:clapping:

pinky33
08-08-2011, 10:56 AM
I'm in west Kent also, the development officer has recently left her post and there has been some stand ins.

Do yo mind me asking where in west Kent you are I might be able to offer more information.

pinky33
08-08-2011, 11:12 AM
Hang on are you someone I know but with a name change?

kentcfis
08-08-2011, 12:23 PM
I'm in West Kent. I just think that it would have been nice to have someone to talk to/help (apart from this great site of course)...

Hi Vinasol,
Contact Kent CFIS on 08000 32 32 30 / kentcfis@kent.gov.uk and we'll help you out