PDA

View Full Version : Being naughty

handeme
04-08-2011, 08:37 AM
With my own children I would use the naughy step, this is obviously something I cant do with minded children.

Just wondered what you all do?

c x

AliceK
04-08-2011, 08:48 AM
I do not use the N word at all. I do however put children on Time Out if the behaviour warrants it. I don't have a particular spot it just depends what's going on. I always give them a warning first and explain that they sit there and calm down / think about things etc etc.

xxx

angiemog
04-08-2011, 08:50 AM
If I remember rightly on my training we could have time out but not a naughty step. I use anything, the sofa, bench in the garden if thats where we are, anywhere that is away from the situation. I don't do a minute for their age as seen on TV :) I also try to keep them in the same room where we are. I usually leave the child for 30 secs-1 minute then go and talk to them. Then apology if needed and all done. Majority of my mindees are 3 and under and I don't seem to use this very often maybe 1 or twice a week. I also try to sort squabbles out by talking, saying sorry, time out really is a last resort. x

JCrakers
04-08-2011, 08:51 AM
The bottom step of the stairs is the 'Thinking step' or the 'time out step'

I never called it the naughty step and use it exactly as I would do with my own. 1 minute for each yr.

Is just an area away from everybody that is quiet and where the child can sit and think why they are there.

Edited to say its mainly used for the school children 5 and over. Usually when they have become too boisterous and after being told to stop something, they carry on..Younger children are usually taken to one side to a quiet place to sit and think.

Becky x

Greengrass74
04-08-2011, 09:07 AM
We don't use the N word at all.

Like others we have a thinking area where LO's are sent to go and think about their actions and then we will talk to them about what has happened.

Simples :rolleyes: (if only)

BuggsieMoo
04-08-2011, 09:07 AM

I never called it the naughty step and use it exactly as I would do with my own. 1 minute for each yr.

Is just an area away from everybody that is quiet and where the child can sit and think why they are there.

Edited to say its mainly used for the school children 5 and over. Usually when they have become too boisterous and after being told to stop something, they carry on..Younger children are usually taken to one side to a quiet place to sit and think.

Becky x

I do pretty much the same and have only had to use it for one mindee aged nearly 6. This particular mindee has a variety of behaviour issues that the step of time out helps them to calm down for. I also discussed it with mum and we devised a behaviour plan that we have written down that includes the use of the time out step and the reasons why - i.e 3 strikes and out, that has a small reward at the end for a set number of stars. Said child is also on the same at school as they are also on an IEP there for behaviour - but they are ususally removed from class and sent to the head!. Behaviour is worse there and at home but lo knows we wont tolerate it here and that we do and will use the time out step. Ive had days where they have bounced of step and days where once has been enough.

appleblossom
04-08-2011, 11:01 AM
My playroom and kitchen are adjacent. No door between but a stair-gate in the kitchen doorway. If time out is needed (I don't use the N word either) the child sits on his/her kitchen chair for the required time out. The under threes have a booster seat each with straps, so they are fastened in for safety as they are at mealtime. They are then separate from everyone and the others can't get in the kitchen to them as I close the gate. It works well as a deterrent because they are excluded from play but I can still see them.

nokidshere
04-08-2011, 11:15 AM
on the rare occasions we need to use discipline we also use the time out method. Often this is on the step since the bottom of the stairs is the most convient place to be.

I have no issue with using the word naughty though! Children can be naughty and its not always a bad thing to tell them thats what their behaviour is.

Mollymop
04-08-2011, 11:23 AM
I use Time Out here. If the child has misbehaved and it carries on they are told to sit in Time Out and think about what they have done.

Tinglesnark
04-08-2011, 11:40 AM
(giggling at the phrase "the N word :laughing: )

we have the thinking step which has become "the step"

i am guilty of absent mindedly uttering the dreaded "N word" dum dum dum duuuuuuuuh.....

i do try not to say it to mindees though if that is in anyway a redeeming feature?

:blush:

The Juggler
04-08-2011, 12:32 PM
we have a thinking chair/stair or just use the sofa or wherever we are for thinking time.

Stormy
04-08-2011, 01:16 PM
I use Time Out here. If the child has misbehaved and it carries on they are told to sit in Time Out and think about what they have done.

Same here x

singingcactus
04-08-2011, 01:51 PM
If a child is misbehaving with a toy, then the toy goes away for the day. If they are being aggressive then they go to play in a different part of our play space, and the child who has been pushed, or had toy taken whatever, gets lots of attention. If the child is running in the house, they get to sit down - they can stand up immediately, the aim is just to interrupt their running not punish them.

Can't really think of any other naughtiness at the moment. We don't use any kind of time out or segregation, I simply do not like it as a form of punishment, it goes against everything in me.

If a child throws a toy for example, I will say it's naughty to throw toys you might hit someone, or break the toy. So I guess I say the dastardly and evil 'N' word, although the n word to me is something totally different and 'that' I do not say. Hope I don't get sent to a time out here for using the word naughty in full lol.

handeme
04-08-2011, 02:37 PM
(giggling at the phrase "the N word :laughing: )

we have the thinking step which has become "the step"

i am guilty of absent mindedly uttering the dreaded "N word" dum dum dum duuuuuuuuh.....

i do try not to say it to mindees though if that is in anyway a redeeming feature?

:blush:

:laughing: its almost as if it is a swear word. I got told in my training that we are not allowed to use 'the step' 'the spot' or 'thinking area' is that not the case?

c x

watgem
04-08-2011, 06:28 PM
I had that I wold use "thinking time" with the child next to me for the number of minutes relating to their age in my behaviour policy, however I was told by the Ofsted Inspector that any kind of time out etc is not appropriate for childminders to use, even though i explained this was the policy of my local preschools and I wanted to provide consisitency for the children. I was so surprised I didn't think to ask what we are allowed to do

Mookins
04-08-2011, 06:35 PM

Becky x

we to use the "thinking step"

xx

SYLVIA
04-08-2011, 06:41 PM
I have a 2 year old on my books at the min who knows how to push everyones buttons all day everyday. Time out is the only way I can get my message through to her that her behaviour is not acceptable! Without that I'd be completely lost! The n word is used more by the other children than myself but I think that's because I'm trying to use other phrases