PDA

View Full Version : send home with bad cough?

newandlearning
04-08-2011, 08:09 AM
hi all..

one of my mindees has come in with a really bad rattly cough.. its kinda horse and rattly? she is coughing every 30 seconds.. seems ok otherwise..

I think I need to call mum to get her? sorry I find it hard sending kids home when the mum seems to think she's well enough.

I'm sure if I sent my son to school like this they would be calling me..

would you send home too? :)

Mouse
04-08-2011, 08:25 AM
If the child was well apart from a cough I wouldn't send them home. If they showed any other signs of illness such as temperature I would consider it. It depends whether or not they are able to join in the activities.

newandlearning
04-08-2011, 08:31 AM
thanks Mouse.. well seeing constantly chanting mummy daddy ..
and is now looking very red, clammy and getting a runny nose..
so have decided to send home..

am going on gut .. am still not completely sure xx:)

AliceK
04-08-2011, 08:31 AM
As long as the child was otherwise ok in themselves I wouldn't send them home but I would mention my concerns to parent upon collecting. I have a LO who very often has a bad cough and I always have a little chat to parent about it. The only time I refused to have children with a cough was when SF was doing the rounds and I sent a letter home saying that at that time I would refuse a child who showed any symptoms (a cough being one of them).

If LO is ok and able to join in and play as usual then I would just mention it to parent on collection, maybe write your concern in their daily diary.

xxx

angeldelight
04-08-2011, 09:45 AM
If you feel the child is unwell and needs to go home then call mom

I have had a bad cough in the past and although I have looked ok I have felt unwell and fed up with it

Do what you think is right

Good luck with the mom

Angel xx

nic t
04-08-2011, 09:49 AM
I wouldn't normally send home just for a bad cough but I think you have the feeling that it could be something more? Especially if it is horse and rattly?

So I'd say you've done exactly the right thing. You've gone with your instincts which are telling you that in this instance she needs to go home. Breathing difficulties can come on so quickly and I think you can hear the difference between just a bad cough and one that begins to worry you!