PDA

View Full Version : bit worried about childminders comment

julie w
03-08-2011, 09:15 PM
When I started minding about 11 years ago the only other childminder where I live was really helpful and gave me good advice. However times have changed and I'm seeing things differently. she wont follow the eyfs, which is nothing to do with me. She refuses to take the children out of the house eg never goes to the park or toddler groups. Once again her decision. However when I was talking to her before the schools broke I told her I was due my ofsted inspection soon and I hoped they wouldnt come during the school hols because I have too many children. By this I meant I have lots of children and it will be mad here (I'm within my numbers)and would prefer them to inspect when older children at school. Anyway she said she has too many children too and when ofsted came to hers or her d.o. comes she sends the extra children round her next door neighbours house until the the d.o has gone. She got satisfactory in her inspection so it cant be all bad. But I'm worried to say anything to anyone in case it sounds like i'm being nasty. What do you all think? It's so good to get advice from here. Thank you.

sarah707
03-08-2011, 09:19 PM
It sounds very much like she is over minding :(

I am not sure what you want to do next though. Only you can decide x

ORKSIE
03-08-2011, 09:28 PM
Sounds like this Minder is over on her numbers.

If you do decide to make the call....it is confidential.

x

Twinkle-Toes
03-08-2011, 09:54 PM
Sorry to totally hijack your thread op but i'm in a similar situation!

Said cm has admitted to me she is 'well over' her numbers most days, doesn't do eyfs, refuses to take them out AND hasn't got her assistant first aid'ed .....this was brought up at her inspection (she got a good?! and always has done!!) but they haven't checked so she's not bothering until she's due again in 3 yrs..

I dunno if you can report to Ofsted confidentially? and will they actually do anything? I just don't want it coming across as sour grapes :(

crazyXstitcher
03-08-2011, 09:55 PM
If I was one of the parents using her services, to say i would be mightily p****d off that she was sending my kids to someone i didn't know(, probably hasn't been crb checked, not insured,etc) would be an understatement.

She's doing something wrong and she knows it!

I know what I would do

alwaysright
03-08-2011, 10:10 PM
to be honest i think we all know someone like this but as well if i am honest i wouldnt be on to ofsted, i think we have enough people watching us constantly without the fear of other childminders doing it as well. you say she was very helpful when you started out so maybe now she would appreciate some help from you, or even if you mention to her someone has said to you that they think she has to many children and you think you should let her know. shes not to know they havent.

further to that though, i think that most parents who use a minder like this normally know whats happening and use them as they are cheaper/more covenient

Newbie1!
03-08-2011, 10:16 PM
Just a thought but do you think she may be lying to make herself look good? (as in really busy etc?)

A minder once told me that she had had to employ an assistant because she was rushed off/full - but later once I got to know her better and spoke to other people that knew her it turned out she hardly had anyone at all but wanted people to think she was busy.....I may be a mile off but just wondered if youd seen her with lots of littlies or if she could be a fibber!! :laughing:

The Juggler
04-08-2011, 07:17 AM
i think next time you are with her, remind her of what she said and say that 'you know you need to be careful or someone might notice and report you'. Parents these days are much more aware of numbers.

miffy
04-08-2011, 07:46 AM
When I started minding about 11 years ago the only other childminder where I live was really helpful and gave me good advice. However times have changed and I'm seeing things differently. she wont follow the eyfs, which is nothing to do with me. She refuses to take the children out of the house eg never goes to the park or toddler groups. Once again her decision. However when I was talking to her before the schools broke I told her I was due my ofsted inspection soon and I hoped they wouldnt come during the school hols because I have too many children. By this I meant I have lots of children and it will be mad here (I'm within my numbers)and would prefer them to inspect when older children at school. Anyway she said she has too many children too and when ofsted came to hers or her d.o. comes she sends the extra children round her next door neighbours house until the the d.o has gone. She got satisfactory in her inspection so it cant be all bad. But I'm worried to say anything to anyone in case it sounds like i'm being nasty. What do you all think? It's so good to get advice from here. Thank you.

It sounds to me like she is over-minding too.

Even worse, from what you've said she may also think that you are doing the same! :eek:

Whether you chose to report her or not I'd definitely have another word with her and make it clear that you are within your numbers. Sometimes, people who break the rules think it's OK for them to do so but not for anyone else so be careful.

Miffy xx

FussyElmo
04-08-2011, 07:51 AM
Why dont you just tell your DO Julie, they will do an unannounced visit and then its up to them if they want to report to ofsted.

But then if she is letting them in how is she not doing the EYFS? What happens if the neighbour isnt there?

catminder
04-08-2011, 08:01 AM
This must a bit of an uncomfortable situation for you. On one hand this childminder gave you help and support in the past. On the other it seems like she is over her numbers, and not just by the odd one by the sound of it. The fact that she has been sending children to her neighbours to presumably avoid being found out would also make me feel uneasy and as already said probably not CRB checked, no 1st aid etc

Ofsted would keep your identity confidential if you raised your concerns with them. I would imagine they would do an unanounced visit to investigate. If you have misunderstood the situation and she is within her numbers then that would be great. But from what you say there is something not right here and for the safety of those children I would feel obliged to report this.

It won't be an easy decision for you to make but I hope it all works out ok for you :thumbsup: