PDA

View Full Version : Paper towels or individual hand towels!?!?

mgtrem
03-08-2011, 08:29 PM
Hi All,

just hoping to see what some of you do with regard to paper towels or individual hand towels.

At the mo I only have little ones in nappies and use wet wipes for hand washing but getting some after schoolies and not sure what the best thing to do is. I have tried to convince my husband to let me have a wall mounted paper towel dispenser in the downstairs loo but he has point blank refused - miserable so and so!!

What do you all do please? Just not sure about leaving a load of paper towels on the side as I can see them all ending up on the floor and its such a small room cant see how I can have loads of towels in there!?!?

Thanks in advace

alwaysright
03-08-2011, 08:34 PM
kitchen roll on one of the holders (you know the ones that look like mug trees only without the branches) i was going to get a towel dipenser but wasnt enough space, just make sure i tell all the kids that it goes in the bin when they have dried their hands not down the toilet

then it can also get put away at the weekend and you can have a towel

love381
03-08-2011, 08:39 PM
I was advised by my first Ofsted Inspector to use neither!! She said that Paper Towels/Kitchen roll will always get flushed by one of the children at some point and that individual towels will need so much monitoring it's not worth it, because you have to make sure that nobody wipes on somebody elses towel (she said incase they leave their germs on somebody elses towel as they haven't necessarily washed their hands properly and then that somebody else will use the towel and get germs again). She told me to get all children to use Wet Wipes!!

x

sweets
03-08-2011, 08:41 PM
I use ONE hand towel that is regulaly changed, at the moment i have only 2 year olds so i supervise them washing thier hands so i know they are clean before they dry them.

i will not go down the individual towel or paper towel route as i think its unneccessary in a home enviroment.

I would do the same if i had schoolies but would change the towel more often and remind them and show them how to wash hands properly.

Ofsted didn't question it on my last inspection :thumbsup:

Cammie Doodle
03-08-2011, 08:44 PM
I have the flannels from Ikea and the little ones love putting them in the pedal bin when they have finished with them. I actually use them too now, they are just the right size for drying your hands

PixiePetal
03-08-2011, 08:47 PM
Like June I have a basket of flannels for hand drying and they go in the bin next to the basket. Works for me :)

christine e
03-08-2011, 08:54 PM
I use the extra large kitchen rolls where you remove the cardboard tube and keep the outer wrapping on so it doesn't get wet then pull the paper from the middle

Cx

mgtrem
03-08-2011, 08:59 PM
Thanks all, loads of great ideas. Will see which one he approves!!

blue bear
03-08-2011, 08:59 PM
Basket of flannel that go straight into washing machine after each use

Joda
03-08-2011, 09:01 PM
I use individual hand towels - they each have their own coloured towel and I stick their name above the hooks (with blu-tac). They learn to recognise their name as well as the other children's names too.

Chimps Childminding
03-08-2011, 09:11 PM
Like June I have a basket of flannels for hand drying and they go in the bin next to the basket. Works for me :)

And me (funnily enough :D )

Mindees take one out of the basket, dry their hands and then pop it in the pedal bin ready to go in the wash!! :thumbsup: Works well, and they are not that expensive that they can't be replaced often!!!

jellybean cc
03-08-2011, 10:34 PM
I am the same i have a basket of flannels wich they use for washing and drying then straight in the wash bin after. The children have found it very simple as long as they don't leave the tap on with a flannel in the sink.....and yes its my own child that does that...lol

onceinabluemoon
04-08-2011, 06:26 AM
Basket of flannels to use as one use only towels. x

helengreen13
04-08-2011, 07:15 AM
I also use the Ikea flannels. They are 84p for a set of 4. They have a hook so you can hang them up and I also got the mindess to use fabric paint to decorate them before use - which helps as the mindees look out for their one with their decoration on it and their name. They have two each and normally one for the morning and one for the afternoon - especially if we have had arts and crafts out.

Helen x

miffy
04-08-2011, 07:32 AM
I have the flannels from Ikea and the little ones love putting them in the pedal bin when they have finished with them. I actually use them too now, they are just the right size for drying your hands

This is what I do too!

Miffy xx

amanda1309
04-08-2011, 09:16 AM

This is exactly what I do. We all use the flannels now

grindal
04-08-2011, 09:37 AM
I made individual hand towels out of DS1 and 2s baby towels :blush:

I cut them up into flannel size pieces and borrowed a sewing machine then I did a zig zag hem around each bit. They go in a basket on the floor by the sink and the kids put them straight into the whites wash basket after they have used them.

nokidshere
04-08-2011, 09:55 AM
I only look after after schoolies and I use one towel for everyone that is changed daily. Mrs Ofsted had no problem with this.

A towel in the bathroom is the least place they will get germs from your house from. Cross contamination from using the same towel (for normal well children) is minimal. They will have walked round your house picking their noses, touching their bits, coughing, sneezing and spluttering all over your furniture and toys. A single towel in the bathroom is the least of my worries regarding the spreading of germs :)

nic t
04-08-2011, 10:02 AM
Another case of depending on who you get for your inspection. :rolleyes:

I used to replace the hand towel every day and said that actually there is not many mindees using it as most are little ones in nappies and I use wipes on their hands. Also said that I promote good handwashing so by the time they come to dry their hands the germs should all be gone. Also said that I had individual flannels for washing etc.

Not good enough, got a horribly worded vague recommendation about improving hygiene practices (and hand washing was def what she was referring to!!!) which made me sound like a right dirty moo! Did eventually get the wording changed though!

She was adament, individual hand towels or paper towels.

zillervalley
04-08-2011, 10:09 AM
the inspection two times sgo was very much to do with hygeine, i used clean flannels one per child ans mrs o said but what if children get mixed up:angry:

so i have paper towels, well serviettes from ikea cheaper i thought

ziller

lulubelle
04-08-2011, 10:49 AM
ofsted told me to have individual towels and flannels so they each have their own colour ones from ikea

Mollymop
04-08-2011, 11:39 AM
I have a paper towel dispenser in my cloakroom, it does make it look like a nursery though!! Was looking forward to showing mrs O at my inspection but she just said "ohh" and that was it!

Rubybubbles
04-08-2011, 01:17 PM
I now use:rolleyes:

an old tissue box, and put paper towels inside, so the children can pull one out then pop it in the bin after! I put all my paper towels into the compost bin after so not going to waste!

Although I only have 1 little one now who is not potty trained (other baby) so back to one handtowel a day now:clapping:

love381
04-08-2011, 02:12 PM
I only look after after schoolies and I use one towel for everyone that is changed daily. Mrs Ofsted had no problem with this.

A towel in the bathroom is the least place they will get germs from your house from. Cross contamination from using the same towel (for normal well children) is minimal. They will have walked round your house picking their noses, touching their bits, coughing, sneezing and spluttering all over your furniture and toys. I mentioned most of this to the lovely OFSTED lady who came!! Guess what she said!! A single towel in the bathroom is the least of my worries regarding the spreading of germs :)

She said that I would have to become extra quick and extra clever at cleaning up after them. If I was to see a child pick nose/scratch parts, cough ETC, I would have to make them wash hands and then wipe anything they touched on the way to wash their hands!!!!!! x

merry
04-08-2011, 06:03 PM
She said that I would have to become extra quick and extra clever at cleaning up after them. If I was to see a child pick nose/scratch parts, cough ETC, I would have to make them wash hands and then wipe anything they touched on the way to wash their hands!!!!!! x

You'd never have time to do anything else:laughing:

:)

mushpea
04-08-2011, 07:09 PM
I have individual hand towels on hooks with their names above them,, their names are on a picture and they know which picture is theirs, I orginaly did this because one child wouldnt was their hands properly after activitys and made the towel filthy for the next child and I needed to work out who it was,, turned out to the be the oldest mindee who was 6 at the time , as soon as we had individual towels she realised I could work out who it was and started washing her hands properly.

Dragonfly
04-08-2011, 08:01 PM
Same as Sweets. one towel changed regularly, sometimes a few times during the day and Ofsted were completely happy with it. Im not a Nursery.its a home enviroment.