PDA

View Full Version : Didn't go well :(

katickles
06-05-2008, 01:00 PM
Well my first potty training day didn't go well at all!!!

I have had 2 wees & 1 poo. All in the space of a morning. Thank god I have wooden floors & leather sofas (Not that my sofa's were affected today!!):eek:

I kept really positive asking about needing a wee wee & getting lo to sit on the potty, but got nowhere. When asked if have done a wee wee mindee would nod & smile but then the potty would be empty.:panic: But when done it in pants (poo or wee) didn't seem bothered at all - so being wet or dirty won't make a difference.

I showed the potty reward chart - not really interested.

How on earth do you all cope with potty training? I spoke to mum about potty & not toliet. I am worried that like some of you said yesterday, training on the potty & then the toilet will be harder work. I also explained that we basically can't go anywhere when potty training, not without the potty. My lo will soon be missing out on things is this is a long drawn out process (which i feel it will be), as we will be indoors all the time.

Oh that was hard work today - wish me luck for my full 10 1/2 hour day tomorrow:(

mrsb
06-05-2008, 01:05 PM
how old is the lil one? and is she dry at home?

To be honest I was very lucky with both my own children and the 6 others that I have potty trained, although they all went straight on to the toilet with extra seat apart fo mwhen we were out and about I would take a potty.

Some just aren't ready for it until they are a bit older, maybe speak to the mum and say that when you go out you will need her to supply pull ups or something, reassure her that you will still encourage the little one to use the potty etc but that it isn't fair on your other children to stay in all the time.

woohoo I just worked out what "lo" means lol

sarah707
06-05-2008, 01:12 PM
If it's nice tomorrow, strip him off and get him in the garden.

He will see the wee that way, not just feel it ... might help! :D

katickles
06-05-2008, 01:14 PM
woohoo I just worked out what "lo" means lol :clapping: :laughing: :clapping:

3yrs 7 mths. Has been generally dry with me in nappies - so I thought lo was just "holding on?" I honestly didn't think it would be hard with lo. but after today :panic:

Mum doesn't want pull ups as wants lo to feel what its like being wet - so lie we said, unless i cart a potty around, outings just arn't going to happen. If lo has a poo when out & about in pants it will just be a disaster trying to clear that up - todays was practically 1/2 pack of wipes!:eek:

katickles
06-05-2008, 01:16 PM
If it's nice tomorrow, strip him off and get him in the garden.

He will see the wee that way, not just feel it ... might help! :D

Thats just what I've planned. We're having a picnic in the garden then getting all the outdoor toys out oh & the potty!

No way will lo want me to strip off there clothes, it will scare the life out lo :panic:

I showed the wee on the floor today - just turned away from me but not embarrased, just not interesed.

Alibali
06-05-2008, 01:23 PM
Oh dear, I've just posted on yesterdays thread, not doin too good here either!!

Keep smiling:D

Ali x

katickles
06-05-2008, 01:25 PM
Oh dear, I've just posted on yesterdays thread, not doin too good here either!!

Keep smiling:D

Ali x

:laughing: :laughing:

Tatia
06-05-2008, 01:28 PM
I definitely believe we should back up parents when they are potty training but I don't think the bulk of it should fall on our shoulders. i have no advice to give cos I am apparently rubbish at potty training. My own chldren were all nightmares to train so it must be e, the common link!:laughing:

I can tell you what I did so you know what NOT to try!:rolleyes:

katickles
06-05-2008, 01:30 PM
I definitely believe we should back up parents when they are potty training but I don't think the bulk of it should fall on our shoulders.

I can tell you what I did so you know what NOT to try!:rolleyes:

I agree - mum asked what to do tomorrow & I said that we would need to crack on with it other wise lo will get confused as to why they start & stop after a few days.

Spangles
06-05-2008, 03:00 PM
Just thought, what about if you, for the time being, line the potty with a nappy? Do you think he would do anything in it then? Maybe he doesn't like all the space below his bottom if you see what I mean?

katickles
06-05-2008, 04:26 PM
After a few more days like today - I'll try anything :laughing:

Pipsqueak
06-05-2008, 04:29 PM
I agree about the pullups - waste of time and money.

Just carry on with what you are doing - lo will soon get the idea. Just sit them on the potty/toilet at regular intervals as well. Lots of reminders, praise etc. (We did "cheat" a bit with my youngest - tipped a bit of water in the potty just as he sat down and "tried" and he was so chuffed about doing something we never looked back).

You can get portable pottys from Mothercare - they fold up and can go in your bag and you get lined liners that go over the potty and you can dispose of them as nappy bags. So it doesn't have to stop you from going out.
Just take plenty of changes of clothing (you can never have enough spare sets when training).

I also agree that the bulk of it shouldn't fall on the minders shoulders - I reckon parents should either start it over a weekend or take a couple of days of and start it.

miffy
06-05-2008, 05:30 PM
Have no advice to add to what's already been said but just wanted to wish you good luck for tomorrow

miffy xx

breezy
06-05-2008, 06:06 PM
Everyones given you great advice, just keep going, this weathers ideal, I find that getting them to help clear up the mess can help, it's easier to use the pot than clear up!!!!!!!!!
failing that you could do timed visits to the loo, say taking him every hour.
He seems old enough to catch on if he wants to, any idea why parents left it so late?
good luck:thumbsup:

angeldelight
07-05-2008, 09:24 AM
Hope you have a better day today with the potty training

Angel xx

chez1373
07-05-2008, 09:31 AM
My son wears pull ups and he uses the potty most times but if i put him in pants he wets them straight away within secs??
he is 2yr 4month.

Good luck today xx