PDA

View Full Version : epi-pen training again!

lulubelle
03-08-2011, 04:16 PM
well i feel like i have been sent from pillar to post about epi pen training for mindee i have starting next month so i have called ofsted today and they have emailed me this~

Providers should ask parents about the medicines that their child needs to take and provide details of any changes to the prescription or the support required. If the administration of prescription medicines requires technical/medical knowledge then individual training should be provided for staff from a qualified health professional. Training should be specific to the individual child concerned."

For the purpose of clarity Ofsted understands 'prescription medicines' as referring to any medicines recommended by a nurse or pharmacist, or an ordered use of medication by prescription made by a doctor or dentist. Under this definition use of an Epi-pen or insulin would be considered prescription medication.

Our interpretation of this guidance is that childcare providers should be trained by a qualified health professional to administer medication such as epi-pens, insulin etc. It is for providers to decide what level of training is required they possess sufficient knowledge and skills to ensure the welfare of children. Training may be achieved through a standard first aid course or you may need to seek additional guidance by consulting a medical professional. Technical and medical guidance on general administration should come from health professionals rather than the child's parents.

The reference to training being specific to the individual child concerned we interpret to mean that you need to be aware of the medication needs of the individual child, such as dosage, when to administer, circumstances that may cause an allergic reaction etc. This does not mean that the child's own doctor or nurse has to provide the training on how to administer such medication. You should communicate with the parents to ensure that you follow similar procedures to the parents e.g. if giving an insulin injection how is the child prepared, soothed and comforted by parents as well as where the injection is given and how much.

If you feel you have sufficient understanding of how to administer the epi-pen/insulin from first aid training it may be sufficient to ask parents for training and advise specific to their child.

so do you think i should just get mum to show me how to do it and sign something saying she has shown me/i was also shown in first aid course and that she gives permission for me/my assistant to administer in an emergency situation?

AliceK
03-08-2011, 04:22 PM
If you feel confident about remembering the training given during your 1st Aid course and feel that with mum showing you and talking to you about it that you would be confident to give it then I don't see why not :thumbsup: That's really useful information by Ofsted actually :eek: , thank you.

xxx

sarah707
03-08-2011, 06:24 PM
If you feel confident about remembering the training given during your 1st Aid course and feel that with mum showing you and talking to you about it that you would be confident to give it then I don't see why not :thumbsup: That's really useful information by Ofsted actually :eek: , thank you.

xxx

Yes I thought that too! :eek:

If you have had a recent first aid and been shown how to use the pens then yes, just make sure mum takes you through everything. :D