PDA

View Full Version : is everyone happy in their job?

Delly
06-05-2008, 12:13 PM
i'm very stressed today, really don't know if I have made the right decision starting minding.. don't get me wrong I love the kids and love working with them but I'm really starting to feel that my own is missing out on me, especially when we go out to playgroups, my attention has to be elsewhere now all the time.

Its only my second week with having 3 at once so not sure if it's just the stress of settling in or if i'm losing the plot..

I really do not like giving up on anything so will continue to work at it, but really can't help wondering what I should do..

Has anyone else ever felt like this? it is just beginners nerve, I really want it to be all ok.

mrsb
06-05-2008, 12:17 PM
I decided to go to part time minding when my daughter started school and I now work at a pre school 4 days a week as well as minding 3 days a week, I thought I would hate it because i've loved being my own boss so to speak but I have now decided that when my mindee goes to school next september i won't take on any other mindees, I'll stay registered for when other minders need cover etc but my heart has gone out of the job since my daughter went to school I think.....

mrsb
06-05-2008, 12:19 PM
sorry just read the top bit of your post again. I have to say your kids do miss out on your one to one with them but they also gain because of the other children you are minding so don't beat yourself up over it ;)

carolinel
06-05-2008, 12:21 PM
I did feel like that when I first started but I just kept telling myself that at least I was always there for my daughter and able to take and collect my son from school. My daughter loves it now as she's always got someone to play with!
I'm sure it is beginners nerve and you will soon get used to it. Once I started minding though the weekends were so much more precious - I now really appreciate them whereas before it was just the same as any other day, holidays too!

Wendy Woo
06-05-2008, 12:23 PM
Ive felt like this b4 at times but i carried on thro it as this is what i love doin. If u are really happy the feeling should die down. Its prob cause u havin a bad day thats normally wen i start doubting my decision!!!!

Jinx
06-05-2008, 12:27 PM
Delly;

My kids are all at school, (one leaves school in a few weeks!), but I know what you mean. When I started minding, during the holidays, I felt like all my attention was taken by the mindees and I'm was neglecting my own. (particually my youngest who is 7.)

But it does get better.

You have to look at the positive side. Company for your own children, a little bit of extra money in your pocket, this forum to share your woes on!!!!!!

Chin up :thumbsup:

Jinx x

Alibali
06-05-2008, 12:29 PM
When the summer comes in you will love it and so will your kids, I take mine to places we might not have otherwise, we can play out when it is nice and you don't have to worry about someone else deciding what your own lo will do that way. There are obviously compromises to be made, but if you need to work, compromises have to be made somewhere anyway. If you went out to work your lo wouldn't have you at all.

I've just been at a cm friends house for a party we were sitting in the sun and watching the lo's play-who can ask for more than that!:)

I hope it's just a bad day and things get better soon.

Ali :)

jaja
06-05-2008, 12:29 PM
When i first started five years ago i found it overwhelming (sp?) but loved it, i work on my own not knowing other cm until last year and then found another cm who was just like me and we got on so well (until vc episode!!!) anyway after five years i still like childminding but i am looking around at my next venture! my daughter has another year at preschool then is full time at big school and then i want to maybe doing something else, not sure though either!!! This job can be very lonely and isolating but can be the most rewarding, just enjoy as you go on and see where it takes you...

Sorry i seemed to have rambled on, sorry:blush:

give your self time to adjust xxx

crazybones
06-05-2008, 12:40 PM
I have to say I feel my 2 year old benefits from my childminding. If I didnt think this then I would give up now. He would be alone with me all day while his brothers where at school and I know some days I would probably stick him in front of the telly and let him get on with it and he would be a spoilt brat probably because he would have everything to himself. I watched him this morning in the garden go to the toy storage and take out 2 footballs and give one to the 4 yr old I had with me and I was really proud of my little man being so thoughtful. My house is full of resources for children aged 0-11 and I asked hubby, when he was complaining about me sticking a numberline across our living room wall, to find me something from my childminding that was not of benefit to his own children aged 2, 8 and 11 and he couldnt. On days like today when we are out in the garden playing, wet with water play, full of sand and generally mucky that I love what I do.

yummymummy
06-05-2008, 01:07 PM
Hi Delly, I think it may just be a bad day for you. Looking after three littlees at any time is really hard and you haven't been started out long so don't be disheartened yet!
I didn't find the pre school bit so hard but when I felt my own children missed out was after school activities. They could never do them as we live a fair distance from school and as I had to collect mindees for after school care and had littlees it was too much to go to school for 3.10pm to come all the way back an hour later for my children.
BUT they did gain an awful lot more from my minding. They learnt the true meaning of sharing and had fun playing with the mindees. They also have had a considerably nicer lifestyle by me minding than they would have done had I carried on as a stay at home mum!
I think the compromises we have had to make are like any child has to with a working parent but in some respects the compromises aren't nearly as difficult as when you work out of the home. It's a parents lot to feel guilty unfortunately!!!!

sarah707
06-05-2008, 01:10 PM
My children tell me they loved me being at home and working with other children - most of the time!

This does not mean they didn't moan... just that they appreciate now what I did for them...

It doesn't mean I didn't have bad days either... but not every day was bad and more were good and when they got really bad, we all went for long walks!

They are 14 and 12 and I have always been here... I know it's been important to them. :D

hello kitty
06-05-2008, 04:37 PM
I agree with Sarah, I started working as a cm so I could be home for my own children who are now 11 and 14 and it has worked out well. They have made friends with the childminded children and it has broadened their outlook and having to respect others opinions and wishes ie sharing!!

It has been lonely at times but lately has got a whole lot better what with this forum, my local cm group and just joining in local music groups etc.

On the whole, atm, I enjoy my job.

Give it a chance and you will soon get in your stride. :)

Rach30
06-05-2008, 08:29 PM
Too right i have days like that !! But then i have the really positive days too , so i think it comes in waves. Saying that i have stopped having after schoolers cos it got in the way of my family time and i'm going part time in sept so maybe i'm not the best person to ask ...............lol:laughing:

donnahay0
06-05-2008, 08:40 PM
Its still early days yet - it will take a while to find your feet and yes, there will always be bad days. I guess you could say at least you can be at home with your children many parents have to go out to work and don't get the opportunity.

I find that I go up and down with childminding. Sometimes I really love it (and the freedom I have with it) and others it gets me down a bit. I think I get a bit down when everything seems to fall behind like my housework, the house paperwork and sometimes forgetting my kids appointments. I try to tell myself - how many people can say they sit in the park having a picnic playing football on a beautiful day like today (and getting paid or it) instead of sitting in a stuffy office looking out and just dreaming of sitting in the park having a picnic.

Give it some time - things are sure to get easier.

brillminder
06-05-2008, 08:44 PM
good and bad days in all jobs :)

Banana
06-05-2008, 09:47 PM
good and bad days in all jobs :)

couldnt agree more, some days I feel like quitting it all and then other days I think I have the worlds best job.

x

peggy
06-05-2008, 09:55 PM
yes! i have and sometimes still do feel like this! What hours are you working hun?

I have a variety with my work, sometimes i work short days and sometimes long, i also get days off in between which really makes a difference....it gives me time to recharge but i do know 100% if i were having 2 children, 5 days a week 10 hours a day i definately definately would be stressed to the max and my own children would suffer as a result.

ma7ie
06-05-2008, 09:56 PM
I tend to go through phases of both liking and hating this job.

I know how you feel about your own children missing out. I quite often think that when we go to playgroup or soft play centres. Mindee takes up so much of my time as he is quite soft and needs reassurance and demands my attention but dd loves him and he loves her.

I just remind myself that I'm at home with dd and I'm sure she will benefit from it just like your children will.

Hope you're feeling better tomorrow.

charleyfarley
06-05-2008, 10:05 PM
Sorry I am on a bad day :angry:

Normally though I do love my career

Carol xx

John
06-05-2008, 10:10 PM
I'm happy as it';s ups and downs, but some part of the day makes you put a smile on your face. Like today was not going to good child had an wetting accident and another child cryed because another child rip her drawing :panic: after i get the children settled a calm was in the air :clapping: Made myself a cupper and one of the girls came over to me and said i done this drawing for you :)

This is what makes me smile in my job:)

John.

wendywu
06-05-2008, 11:37 PM
I love the children, hate the paperwork. My two are now 15 and 19. I think minding enables children to grow up in a good old fashioned large family and mix in with each other. Just as a mother with 5 children manages to love them all i dont think children of minders suffer or the mindees for that fact. I turn out lovely children if i do say so myself.:blush:

venus89
07-05-2008, 02:03 PM
I'm loving the job, although I've got it easy - two babies and I get my school holidays free (so far!). I enjoy the challenge of the paperwork (sad, isn't it!), I liek going out and about. I do think when we get into doing a decent trip then I may feel guilty about not taking my kids, but I'll make it up to them. I just wish I'd thought of this years ago when my ones were younger.....

Delly
07-05-2008, 05:02 PM
didn't have much of a better day today, I think I've realised that its not going to be for me.. the ages of the kids are too close together and its sooo hard...

Totally gutted... cross at myself for messing this up. Really don't have a clue how I am going to get out of it as well.. I hate letting people down..

Got one more day to work tomorrow, and will have a good think about it over the weekend chat to my dh, see what he thinks.
It doesn't help that he is away on business most weeks all week either.

mum22
07-05-2008, 05:10 PM
Hi

I found it really hard at first when my own were 2 yrs and 6mts and the lo i minded started to bite my 2yr old - couldnt leave them on their own for a second, but things get better and better and when a mindee comes up and offers their arms out for a cuddle with me or with my children - makes it all worthwhile - yes there is paperwork but honestly i truly think this is the best job in the world and only wish i had done it sooner.

X Helen:)