PDA

View Full Version : Could I be wrong?

love381
02-08-2011, 08:44 PM
I was paid on Wednesday last week for two full days of work for 2 children by their mum. The cash was folded up a bit, like in half and in half again as I often do and mum was in a big rush, so I just took it and said I'd do receipt next time! Popped it in my cupboard for holidays fund without even looking at it (I'm so trusting it's unreal when I look back on something). Turns out she's paid three days instead of two!!!! Spoke to her this morning about it and she said she thought she had to pay for three days as she'd said when signing contracts that she might need a very occasional friday and I'd said I'd do it if I had spaces etc!!! She said that previous childcare the children have been in have either made her pay an entire week when she only needed 2 or 3 days or have made her pay 3 days every week regardless etc. She said she thought all childcare services made you pay for the three days all the time!!

Imagine this woman's face when I told her to bring one days money at tea time as she'd paid three days last week for two days work (if that makes sense!!) Then imagine the woman's eyes looking at me when I explain AGAIN (did it a few times at contract signing) that I would not be charging her at all next week as her children are away and I would not be chargning the following week as I am away!!

Am I wrong? Should I charge for every Friday just incase? Should I charge their hols/my hols!!??

What do you do?
x

PixiePetal
02-08-2011, 08:50 PM
i would expect 2 days money for sure and the third day if I could do it, as and when. Unless they want to reserve the place rather than just chance it in which case 3 days money every week.

I charge for their hols as I am still available as such, none for my own as I am unavailable

pinkbutterfly
02-08-2011, 08:52 PM
There's no set rules .... you can do what you want. With the Friday thing .... if she wants to have the space available in case she needs you I would charge because otherwise I would not be able to guarantee the space. I would at least take a 50% retainer for holding the space for her .... however as she has two children that means two spaces need to be held ... can you afford missing that much?
With holidays I don't charge when I am on holiday but I charge full fee when they are on holiday. When we review contracts next time I'm going to go 50% on both and cap it on 2 weeks so they do not abuse this. Some minders charge regardless some don't charge at all.
Have you researched what other minders in the area are doing?
This is my business it pays my bills and puts food on the table for me and my children I have to think with my business cap on ... or we'll go hungry ...

flowerpots
03-08-2011, 04:30 AM
i would expect 2 days money for sure and the third day if I could do it, as and when. Unless they want to reserve the place rather than just chance it in which case 3 days money every week.

I charge for their hols as I am still available as such, none for my own as I am unavailable

double posted :huh: :huh: :doh:

flowerpots
03-08-2011, 04:31 AM

This is what i would do. :thumbsup:

caz3007
03-08-2011, 05:16 AM
If you had said you would do it 'if you had space' you arent keeping a space for her two children, so I would only take payment for the 3rd day if she had needed me. Obviously if you are keeping a space and they are in your numbers, then you would need some sort of retainer in place

angeldelight
03-08-2011, 07:01 AM

I do the same

Angel xx

snufflepuff
03-08-2011, 07:34 AM
If the parent is contracted for three days, and you are holding three days for her, i'd charge for all three days.
If she is contracted for 2 days but just mentioned she might need a third day if you happen to have space, i'd only charge for the third day when she actually needs it. I'd make sure she realises that the space might not be there when she needs it though.

gegele
03-08-2011, 07:40 AM
if you are not taking children on to leave space open for her on fridays i would take the money.
if it's only really occasional and you only do it if you have space then i wouldn't take anything just the fee of the day when it comes.

holidays: when they're on holiday i'm still working so i get paid, and when i not working i don't get paid.

boxtree7
03-08-2011, 09:00 AM
This happens to me on a Friday - the mum pays two days per week no matter what - if the mum requests a friday as additional we use the extra money to have our lunch out (I work with an assistant). Mums happy, im happy and assistant happy !!!!

love381
03-08-2011, 02:22 PM

That is so how I feel about it, they do not want/need a guarantee of the place so no need to charge.

As for hols, I only charge full timers if they have more than a week off.

x

love381
03-08-2011, 02:31 PM
Here's an interesting convo for you all to look at/comment on!!

I had a new parent visit (fourth time) and wants to leave her son next time for some time on his own. I said in order to do this, she must complete paperwork so I'm covered etc!!

We got to fees - titled on my contract (make my own) and underlined
Parent: How much is the hourly rate going to be?
Me: £3.00 an hour
Parent: But your leaflet says you start your fees at £3.50 (they do/did, but have found this is expensive ish for this area)
Me: Yes, but I have started dropping my hourly rate
Parent: Why?
Me: Found it expensive ish in this area and have some siblings on my books and thought it was not fair to charge parents more than their hourly rate.
Parent: Well, why me then? I've only got one child.
Me: To be fair to all, I wouldn't want you to pick up at the same time as another parent and find out you were paying more.
Parent: Ok, makes sense I guess, what about holidays/days off school when you have X all day, will there be a day charge instead of an hourly charge as your leaflet says?
Me: Yes, X will come for 8 hours, so that would be £22 per day.
Parent: I don't think 8 x 3 makes 22
Me: Yes, but like it says on the leaflet, I do offer a small discount for full (ish) days!!

I think I'm going to have fun with this parent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

x

BuggsieMoo
03-08-2011, 02:52 PM
I'd charge for her holidays if you are available, same with her sickness.
For your own holiday and sickness I wouldn't charge as you're not available and they have to source other childcare which they may have to fund also. HTH.
Lisa x
http://www.lisasladybirdschildminding.co.uk./home

merry
03-08-2011, 05:39 PM
Me: Yes, X will come for 8 hours, so that would be £22 per day.
x

£22 for an 8 hour day!! You're selling yourself short!

:)

love381
03-08-2011, 08:30 PM
£22 for an 8 hour day!! You're selling yourself short!

:)

Maybe I am selling myself a bit short, but we live in such a socially and economically deprived area and prices for everything are so high, that I've kind of found that I need to really!!! x