PDA

View Full Version : Sorry lots of questions ....

time_4_change
02-08-2011, 08:08 PM
Hi

I hope someone can help, I keep getting worked up but I must admit I do bring it on myself, i am trying to do too much all at once.

I am at pre-reg stage:

1. I had a pre-reg visit from local council in June, the lady told me I was 3/4 ready and made some recommendations. one thing she mentioned was to organise my toys (i was planning this anyway) she said children don't like to search/route for toys. She said to buy smaller containers and label them with pictures and words. I am wondering do ALL the toys have to be orgasnised this way? or can I leave some in the larger boxes mixed up? I have way too much toys and struggling to organise and find room, I still have a few bits to buy such as treasure baskets, really don't know where I will put them :panic: LOL.

2. I am in a panic about observations, I don't come from a childcare background and i find it a bit daunting.

3. I worry about the age difference between the children and planning an activity that all can be involved in?

4. Learning journey ... can these be done as a scrap book of photos and captions? I also plan on collating the obsrvation sheets and putting these into a file for the parent's to take when they leave ... is this what ppl generally do?

Really sorry if this all sounds daft ... my husband saying I am putting way too much pressure on myself :rolleyes:

I really could do with introducing myself to a CM in my area and going to chat to them but It's a little bit cheeky I think esp when I am going to be a new CM possible competition?

I am sure I have lots more worries/questions and will be back :laughing:

Thanks in advance

Leanne x

Katiekoo
02-08-2011, 08:26 PM
I am at pre-reg stage:

1. I had a pre-reg visit from local council in June, the lady told me I was 3/4 ready and made some recommendations. one thing she mentioned was to organise my toys (i was planning this anyway) she said children don't like to search/route for toys. She said to buy smaller containers and label them with pictures and words. I am wondering do ALL the toys have to be orgasnised this way? or can I leave some in the larger boxes mixed up? I have way too much toys and struggling to organise and find room, I still have a few bits to buy such as treasure baskets, really don't know where I will put them :panic: LOL.
Don't panic! :panic: You can rotate the toys if you are limited on space, keep some stored away until they suit the ages of the children you have/ suit your theme/ fancy a change. It's great for the children as they feel like they're getting new toys all the time. Have some core toys/equipment available all the time, and I would try to have some sort of system - it makes it so much easier to tidy up! Grouping toys into categories like 'dressing up' 'ball play' 'instruments' etc is a good idea.

2. I am in a panic about observations, I don't come from a childcare background and i find it a bit daunting.
There are lots of great 'observation sheets' you can use that give you hints and what to look for in each area of leaning and development. I'll pm you one

3. I worry about the age difference between the children and planning an activity that all can be involved in?
Don't worry too much until you know the children you will be caring for and then just try to add in something to capture the interest of each child (gets easier as you get to know the children).

4. Learning journey ... can these be done as a scrap book of photos and captions? I also plan on collating the obsrvation sheets and putting these into a file for the parent's to take when they leave ... is this what ppl generally do?
Yep that sounds good, you can also put in it any info you get when you first meet the family ' all about me' info. Also as you start doing observations you will find after a while you can do an assessment of the childs development (pop back on here and look up assessment grids when you get to this point) these can also go in teh LJ

Really sorry if this all sounds daft ... my husband saying I am putting way too much pressure on myself :rolleyes:
He's probably right - I did the same thing :)
Just try to relax and things will fall into place, I promise.

I really could do with introducing myself to a CM in my area and going to chat to them but It's a little bit cheeky I think esp when I am going to be a new CM possible competition?
Right - other minders in your area may see you as competition but I have found that once you get chatting most childminders are nice people! (Some may disagree :laughing: )

Hope that helps!

Katiekoo
02-08-2011, 08:38 PM
Can't send attachment via Pm so here is an observation plan I use (see attached). One is the template and one has an explaination of what to put where.
Stick a photo or describe what you saw in the first window, then go to the 'what does this show?' window and first I highlight from the lists round the edges what I think it shows and add any notes in the middle. You'll get the idea!
I found these helped me a lot at first.

time_4_change
02-08-2011, 09:06 PM
Hi

Thank you very much for your reply, I really do appreciate it.

A very good idea about rotating the toys, I can keep some in a box in the understairs storage. I have already done this with the craft things as I have lots of paper, plastic pots and cardboard :) and I couldn't keep all that out. I have looked and some toys duplicate: i have two toy phones, a million cars and trucks, 2 spinning things :rolleyes: LOL ... think i need to sort through it all.

I will take a look at those sheets now

Where do you get the dressing up things from? elc? This is something I need to buy. I also would like one of those 'real life' type puppets, need to save for one though :)

How do you find childminding?

thanks again,:thumbsup:

Katiekoo
02-08-2011, 09:18 PM
It sounds like you're getting set up really well! I've not looked back since I started minding, should have done it sooner! Our dressing up thing have been gathered from far and wide! Mostly it's fairy wings, bags and hats!

time_4_change
02-08-2011, 09:35 PM
I have been very very lucky, I have a friend who has 2 children and she is always giving things to me that they no longer need, saved us an absolute fortune. My mother-in-law also gave me a bin bag full of books that she has collected over the years, for all ages. :D

I have printed those sheets and theey look fab and easy to understand, thanks. i have a 1yr old son so can practice one :)

What did you do before CM? I am currently working part time as print estimator/client services rep so it is a massive change

x

Katiekoo
03-08-2011, 07:52 AM
I had a very mixed background, I worked in telly and lecturing, but got made redundant shortly after having my dd, then took a job at a College and it was dreadful and I left to help my sister as a Nanny which led me to childminding! It's been a funny old journey! Also in there somewhere in the last few years I was a Sing and Sign teacher/franchisee. It was quite a change for me too from what I'm trained in, but it seemed like a natural transition after having my dd.
You sound like you're getting really organised, it's so exciting when you're setting up, and it is worth doing preparation now because once the children start coming it makes it so much easier if you've already got ideas :)

caz3007
03-08-2011, 08:27 AM
I have read through your thread and as to the toys, have a good sort out. You dont need hundreds of cars, I must admit I got rid of loads to a friend who was just starting fostering and I kept all the specific ones and all the hot wheels at mindies request :laughing:

You said you had loads of books, sort through, have out about a dozen and perhaps sort the rest into subjects, so you can bring out a selection at a time, so if you go to feed the ducks one week, bring out all the books with ducks in.

Dressing up stuff - all mine has come from cheap shops, so picked up a pirates hat and eyepatch, some fairy wings and a wand. I have also picked up some bits from car boots and friends have given me a few odd bits.

time_4_change
03-08-2011, 07:57 PM
Katiekoo .... it sounds like you have had a great working background, it all sounds fun :) ... I have got some ideas but waiting to see what age children I end up with.

Caz ... thanks for your advice, it makes sense, I am going to have a good sort, most things are just 'normal' toys, I need to make up a couple of treasure baskets and start collecting things like bottles and cardboard. I am also lacking 'animal' type toys but will pick these up from charity shops :)

I think i am thinking about things far too much ... my husband keeps telling me to calm down ... i am going to do a wish list, at least I can show it to Ofsted.

Leanne

khlwomitchell
03-08-2011, 08:12 PM
Totally, chill out!
You are waaaay more organised than me, if you know what you need to do and her advice wasn't a complete shock then you are fine, do it all slowly as you may not get kids straight away!

The bits my Pre reg lady said i should do i did this weekend, a few days before first inspection, door bolts, chain up fireguard, cupboard latches etc. I don't need them as my charge is only 8 mths but ofsted will want to see them, i though the obs and eyfs understanding much more important to wellbeing of little babs, and his development.

Hint, get the clear tubs and then no need to label! Invest in laminator if you have a few quid, or some good clear sticky back plastic if your not! i used it to do photo montages, label my toy shelves (would not stick to sodding boxes) make my own multicultural posters etc.

Defo make friends with other CMs, they can pass work on cover hols down the line, pool toy resources etc, and you will be less lonely as it can be lonely.

Also as to the ages, my own kids are 5, 3 and 1 and Mindee 8mths and they all do the same, fit the eyfs to the task not the other way around eg playing with a box of cars meets, KUW, PD, CD and probablt more.

Gosh i waffled on, i find it so pleasing to try and offer my hard won knowledge by being retrospective, kelly

Maza
04-08-2011, 11:40 AM
Don't spend a fortune on dressing up clothes. Have a look around your house and see what you could use. My dressing up box also consists of old handbags (and the odd unisex one), scarves, hats, bangles, purses and wallets, bigger pieces of old fabric for cloaks/tents/ghosties(!) etc. You can add builders hats, policemans hats etc as and when you see them in sales/car boots etc.

Remember, you don't have to have everything in place for day 1 (apart from legal and H and S stuff), you develop your practice and resources as you go along.

With regards to labels, I printed off black and white pictures of balls, Night Garden characters, transport, musical instruments etc. and the children 'coloured' them in (both 1 year olds) and then I stuck them on to boxes. Some toys will be miscellaneous(?) and might not fit into a specific category, so don't worry about them, you can have a general box or shelf.

Good luck!

time_4_change
04-08-2011, 01:14 PM
Thanks Maza

I was wondering about the labels! I am going to use your idea of children colouring them in :D (if you don't mind that is lol) ... i could print the labels out to show ofsted and explain your idea.

I am feeling sooo much better now, I can concentrate on making sure all my policies/procedures and posters are in place and do a 'wish' list on all the other things.

I am always in the charity shop so I am sure I will find things, and I never thought of using my own unwanted items (handbags, bangles, hats, etc)

I just want it to be perfect ... life isn't perfect and trying to be so is stressing me out :p

Thanks all for all this help :clapping: :thumbsup:

Rubybubbles
04-08-2011, 01:24 PM
the thing I get stressed on is all my lovely boxes, then the children mix them up anyway:laughing: I limit to 2 boxes at a time (along with usual big things, kitchen, dressing up, comfy corner, activity table hmmmmmmmmm no wonder it's still a mess:jump for joy:

good luck, lucky you have found us and you can stress even more:laughing:

time_4_change
04-08-2011, 07:34 PM
khlwomitchell: thanks for taking the time to reply, your advice is very helpful. I don't know CM in my area but hoping I will meet some when i am ready to go. I found this site soooo sooo helpful, being able to ask questions and read other threads is great. Hopefully I will be able to help others in the future :)

Rubybubbles: I will make all this effort organising everything just for the children to mess it all up :p - i have gone for a low very comfortable sofa and put colourful throws and colourful cushions and soft toys on it - originally was doing a soft/comfortable corner but the sofa was free :D
Btw i really like the avatar you have chosen for your profile - well cute! lol

Thanks again x