PDA

View Full Version : EYFS

Straws
06-05-2008, 10:37 AM
Hi all

I registered in feb, ofsted said they be back in 6 months for my first inspection which will make it july/august. Should i start following EYFS now or do BTTM??? confused as on the bromely website it says childminders can follow EYFS now and ofsted were going to make a statement on there website about implementing the new EYFS and using it before september. does anyone know if they did?

Straws xx

sarah707
06-05-2008, 11:09 AM
I haven't seen anything saying we can use eyfs yet for childminders still waiting for their first inspection.

I think maybe you should email Ofsted and ask what they are saying...

Best get whatever is said in writing...

enquiries@ofsted.gov.uk

angeldelight
07-05-2008, 10:49 AM
Good advice from Sarah

Did you contact them ?

Let us know what they said

Angel xx

Mrs M
10-05-2008, 09:37 AM
I became registered in February and throughout my training to be a Childminder, everything was focussed on EYFS, therefore, that's what I follow. However, I have only done a couple of temporary contracts but I know nothing at all about Birth to Three. Am due for an inspection shortly, although Inspector not sure if she'll come if I don't have any children to mind, and all my paperwork, obs etc is aimed towards the EYFS! Oh my goodness. :panic:

sarah707
10-05-2008, 09:42 AM
I became registered in February and throughout my training to be a Childminder, everything was focussed on EYFS, therefore, that's what I follow. However, I have only done a couple of temporary contracts but I know nothing at all about Birth to Three. Am due for an inspection shortly, although Inspector not sure if she'll come if I don't have any children to mind, and all my paperwork, obs etc is aimed towards the EYFS! Oh my goodness. :panic:

I would just email Ofsted and get whatever they are currently saying to people in your position in writing.

The thing that gets me is eyfs is good practice... it takes the best from birth to 3 and makes it workable, so in my opinion, it shouldn't matter what is being used so long as the job you are doing is right iyswim.

The problem is that Ofsted have not been trained on eyfs yet so they cannot inspect it...

Who is your development officer Emma? Is it Anne? She is a good person to discuss this with as well, although I would ask Ofsted what they say first. :D

Mrs M
10-05-2008, 11:52 AM
Thanks for comments Sarah. Yes, Anne is my development officer. I find it strange that all who were on my course were not told anything about Birth to Three! It was all EYFS. I suppose we just trained at an awkward time and they didn't want to confuse us. I shall email Ofsted and then contact Anne next week. Thanks again.:)

Heaven Scent
10-05-2008, 02:40 PM
I got my report back on Thursday and a leaflet came with it and it said something about us being allowed to follow EYFS now but they will be mainly looking at B23 and if you are accredited Early years foundation stage - my inspector didn't ask me for any observations and didn't look at my risk assessments she was really only checking my policies and my general care for the children and all my contracts and permission slips etc. I'm working soon and need to have a shower but as I'm not far from you I'll PM you my phone number and if you need to ask me anything you are more than welcome to do so also as Sarahnev also lives in Cheshire and has been childminding longer than me she is always a mine of knowledge - I'll try to root out the leaflet so I can tell you what it says or you could ring ofsted and ask them to send you one if I give you the name of it.

I'm afraid I've put it to one side as I'm trying to use every free minute I have to get ready for my hols- I'm off 1 st thing next Fri AM. for 2 weeks. but am working every day until then including tomorrow so not much free time.

miffy
10-05-2008, 03:05 PM
I thought that inspections until the end of August were on B23 not EYFS as this doesn't come in until 1st September and as you say Ofsted are not yet trained to inspect on it

But if you have recently had an inspection then it is OK to start using EYFS as you will not have another inspection until after this comes in

miffy xx

Mollymop
10-05-2008, 11:21 PM
I am glad this question has been asked as I was wondering it myself. As above, I haven ot been trained in B23 and I don't know anything about it. I really feel like i have no idea what i am doing wen it comes to planning for it, etc and i have a my first mindee offically starting on Tues.
I have had EYFS training and that is it! I guess i had better ring ofsted too.
Why is everything so confusing

Mrs M
12-05-2008, 01:33 PM
Hi,
I emailed Ofsted and below is a copy of their reply regarding following EYFS before September.

The principles of Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) are the essence of all good quality early years provision and there is no need to wait until next year to implement them. In part, the principles are drawn from the existing National Standards for under 8s day care and childminding and good practice set out in Curriculum guidance for the foundation stage and Birth to three matters. Therefore registered providers whose early years provision currently meets these standards and reflects this good practice are already applying the principles of EYFS.

However, you must be clear that the statutory welfare, learning and development requirements of the EYFS do not come into force until September 2008. Until then registered day care or childminding provision will continue to inspected against the National Standards for under 8s day care and childminding. Therefore you should continue to ensure that provision meets these standards and, where relevant, take account of the Curriculum guidance for the foundation stage and Birth to three matters.

Ofsted will continue to register and inspect settings against the 14 National Standards and against the Curriculum guidance for the foundation stage until September 2008. We would need to be able to see evidence that you have met these requirements and we will make judgements in respect of these.[/I][/I]

Best start having a look into Birth to Three!

Emma x

MissTinkerbell
12-05-2008, 03:07 PM
As far as content goes the curriculum guidance for the EYFS is almost identical to the Foundation Stage. I had been teaching the Foundation Stage at school pre my maternity leave. When I went back we'd started on the EYFS and to be honest its content is almost the same. Only thing different really is stuff in PSED about the care issues and PD with health and hygiene and stuff. Pretty much everything else is the same.

Not sure how it compares to B23 though.

sarah707
12-05-2008, 03:26 PM
Well done for clearing that one up Emma! :D