PDA

View Full Version : Pre-reg ..... Confused... help please!!

kate60
01-08-2011, 07:30 PM
Hi there

New to this so hope it posts in the right place.

I am on my way to becoming a c.minder. I have done the first aid course, completed the college course and have had my medical cert completed by my doctor, so basically i am ready to send off my paper work off to ofsted.

The thing stopping me from doing this is the pre reg, im just not sure what it entails and i'm worried i wont get registered. Everyone keeps telling me different things and i'm worried about the eyfs as i have no experience of this. I know i need to have my house ready or atleast be able to tell them what i need to do, but how muh paper work should i have done?? Should i have a welcome pack and all my policies and procedures done?? How much abot the eyfs will i be expected to know as i feel most of it will come with practise.....once i'm registered and looking after children. My children are older now so i dont have many toys even though i have been getting some over the months, will they expect me to have lots and lots, with no income at the moment it's hard to get everything i want to.

Anyway, sorry, bit of a ramble, i would really appreciate any help :)

By the way, i live in west sussex

Thanks, Kate

Oh also, how long roughly will it take for the visit from when i send off the paperwork??

khlwomitchell
01-08-2011, 08:19 PM
I'm surprised noone else has replied yet, as i'm new to minding i was on here but never had guts to ask questions for things i though i should know!

The pre reg is scary but just fine.
I had loads done, but no welcome pack, do risk assessments, you don't need kids for that and ofsted person will want to know you understand dangers in the house.
I needed a expensive fence before i started but i told them i would do it by april and she was fine by that. i spent as little money as poss but luckily have three small kids so toys were no issue.

I was gutted to find east sussex no longer do grants but west sussex may still, call and ask. When you get a child then buy toys to suit their age. also ofsted will be more impressed if you join a toy library and meet other minders through it.

Try and do main policies and have a list to do over time. Main ones are behaviour, safeguarding, picking up kids, illness etc, google bromley child services, very useful site.

I have been minding for 4 mths, registered for 9 and only just getting to grips with EYFS and every child etc. When you do the obs you understand better. Read and re-read the statutory book and highlight bits.

it can take a while to get the reg certificate but good luck, you'll be doing alot of typing and printing but take your time and date all your things and set a review schedual x
best of luck from newick

Kezzle
01-08-2011, 10:11 PM
At this time of night my brain doesn't want to work properly. But i think i'd second khlwomitchell. Just do all the statutory policies etc that can be found in the EYFS framework book thingy. (See i'm tired can't remember names) No need for many if any toys untill you know ages just show which toys you'd like and say why where they link possibly? I'm still waiting for prospects to ring me about a pre reg visit and i still haven't done any risk assessing or finished baby proofing things. :/

Mrs_Locky
01-08-2011, 10:34 PM
I think the quoted time from receipt of paperwork to getting a visit is about 12 weeks but from what I can gather on here it can be quite dependant on where you live!

I just had my reg visit (last Tuesday) from Mrs O and she asked me about Safeguarding, Policies (although she glossed over them she didn't read them) and Risk Assessments. She didn't really ask much about EYFS.

Just waiting on my certificate now!!

Mrs_Locky
01-08-2011, 10:43 PM
When you get a child then buy toys to suit their age. also ofsted will be more impressed if you join a toy library and meet other minders through it.

They're also very impressed by open ended (quite often free :) ) resources - cones, leaves, cardboard tubes, bottles, bottle tops, corks, boxes etc etc.

bromley child services, very useful site.

Beware Bromley Child Minders!! A lot of their stuff is out of date and relates to the 'Birth to Three Matters' (pre - EYFS). It might be a good place for ideas but check that the stuff you borrow is still relevant!

Penny1959
02-08-2011, 04:26 AM
First the time issue - Ofsted can come out anytime after recieving your paperwork to do your pre reg visit - by sending off the paperwork you are saying I am ready for a pre reg visit.

It is the time between pre reg visit and getting certificate that is the issue - because of outside agencies such as crb. It is supposed to be within 12 weeks - but it can be longer.

Re what to have in place - take a look at ofsted website www.ofsted.gov.uk put childminding factsheet into serch box and a lot of useful fact sheets will come up.

But agree with others don't buy anything 'just in case' - just talk to the inspector about your plans.

Penny :)

Kezzle
02-08-2011, 05:57 PM
They're also very impressed by open ended (quite often free :) ) resources - cones, leaves, cardboard tubes, bottles, bottle tops, corks, boxes etc etc.
!

This is what i have been doing, saving usefull containers and toilet roll tubes, got a pine cone hanging around here somewhere too, i want to collect some more they make pretty christmas tree decorations when painted and glittered. :)

Mrs_Locky
02-08-2011, 09:37 PM
I got my certificate today Exactly 1 week since the pre-reg visit :clapping:

khlwomitchell
03-08-2011, 06:41 AM

Wow, quick work mine took ages!!

zamjad
26-12-2012, 09:54 AM

Congrats :) :):thumbsup: