PDA

View Full Version : parent asking me to work in lieu of day they have taken off

hollymonster
01-08-2011, 05:36 PM
Hi just a quick question I look after a little one on a Tuesday and Wednesday every week. It is his birthday tomorrow so mum has taken the day off and is staying at home tomorrow and having a party. I have charged her full fee for this day. She has now asked whether I would considering working on Friday or Monday for a few hours in lieu of that day.

Is this something you would do? I don't know what to say. I definitely do not want to work on Friday as that is my day with my two children but I am working this Monday so I could do it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks x

miffy
01-08-2011, 05:39 PM
Errr, no, I wouldn't do it - you are available to work on the contracted days but they want the day off so they have to pay.

Miffy xx

mama2three
01-08-2011, 05:41 PM
I would consider doing the monday but if you do then make sure she knows this is a 1 off and that in future days are not transferable. Thats if shes generally a 'good' parent who you want to keep onside.
If she is the kind to take advantage of you generally then I would take great pleasure in saying NO!

onceinabluemoon
01-08-2011, 05:45 PM
My policy says days and hours are not transferable so no I probably wouldnt.

However it would depend on the relationship I had with the parent really, for example I have one who picks up an hour early regularly and don't bother charging her if she wants an extra hour here or there becasue she's a good parent, its a 'good contract' and they always pay on time or early.

Your call but if you think you'll get asked it a lot, make sure you say its a one off (but be prepared for them to ignore that part of the agreement...)

georgie456
01-08-2011, 05:46 PM
I would tell her what you told us. Friday is a no no because that is your day with your children.
I would possibly change a day in lieu of another if it was do-able, but I make sure I state on my contracts that if I am given less than 2 weeks notice, full rates apply.

sweets
01-08-2011, 05:49 PM
yes i would change it if it was confenient. it can work both ways, I only have 2 mindees on mondays and tuesday and if i know that one child is going to off because of hols then i ask parents if the remanining child can swap to the other day so i get the day off. most times they say yes :thumbsup:

Pipsqueak
01-08-2011, 05:49 PM
Nope.... sorry

Stormy
01-08-2011, 05:54 PM
It does depend on the nature of the parent, I have in the past and regretted it, but have happily done it for some parents.
You have to think also what would you do if you were full on the other days so could not offer a swap? Once you do it parents do sometimes make you feel bad if you don't allow it again.
At the end of the day its your call x

rickysmiths
01-08-2011, 06:14 PM
Usually I don't swap days. I would be happy to do the extra day for normal fee.

FussyElmo
01-08-2011, 06:59 PM
If it was for a parent who would do the same for me then yes.

As its the little guys birthday I would probably say yes but stress to the parent it is an exception due to this.

Wouldnt give my day off though :)

Joda
01-08-2011, 07:00 PM
I am happy to swap occasional days if it's convenient to me. It does work both ways so if one of my own children has a hospital appointment or something on at school etc I am able to ask parents if they mind swapping a day (not a regular occurence though).

MAWI
01-08-2011, 07:10 PM
I would consider swapping days, only if it is advantageous to yourself or you may need to swap in the future. Otherwise no, stick to contracted days.

I occasionally ask parents if they wish to swap days when I say for example take off a Friday and I can accommodate a swap to a Tuesday. It would then be up to them to either rearrange Their work commitments for the swapped day or try to find someone else to care for them on their contracted days while I'm on a day off.

However,, that said all my parents do not even ask to swap days unless an emergency and then I only do it if I want to or can.

So I guess it's a decision that everyone decides on a personal level

jane5
01-08-2011, 07:20 PM
I would say no to Friday as that is your day off and I would just say, I do not work fridays simple as that. Usually I dont swap days but I have done an extra afternoon for 1 lo.
He comes Monday and Tuesday and I was on holiday for 2 weeks and then lo was on holiday for 1 week so I agreed to 1 afternoon before he went away because he wouldnt have seen us for 4 weeks.

They are lovely parents and good payers so I didnt mind :thumbsup:

singingcactus
01-08-2011, 07:36 PM
If I enjoyed caring for the child and liked the family then yes I would. If the child was hard work or the parents were hard work, then no.
That being said, I don't charge when the kids aren't here, so not really a problem for me lol.

mushpea
01-08-2011, 07:37 PM
depends on the child and the parents, some parents would help me out too and some children are lovley yet some parents wouldnt cross the street to help me and some children are blooming hard work!

hollymonster
01-08-2011, 08:04 PM
Thanks very much for all your responses. I have decided to do it just in case I need to swap a day in the future.

Thanks again x

angeldelight
02-08-2011, 08:03 AM
Thanks very much for all your responses. I have decided to do it just in case I need to swap a day in the future.

Thanks again x

Glad you sorted it

I have let parents change days if it suits me ....like you say it can work to your advantage too if you want to do the same in the future

Angel xx

mariehunter
02-08-2011, 08:46 AM
Errr, no, I wouldn't do it - you are available to work on the contracted days but they want the day off so they have to pay.

Miffy xx

i aggree with Miffy, it states in my info and on my contracts that only time they dont pay is if I am off, what would happen if you had your full ratios them days? they desided to take that day off so they should still pay and if you do , do other days , they should pay for them too.

miffy
02-08-2011, 09:06 AM

Thanks again x

I would make sure then that the parent understands this - often parents will expect that we should accomodate them but when the boot is on the other foot they don't want to know.

Miffy xx