PDA

View Full Version : Do you Drive??

bluebell3
31-07-2011, 08:35 AM
Just wondered how many of you drive with your mindees? I have a car but haven't insured myself yet as a childminder so am limited to activities within walking distance. Just wondered how many of you drive and what insurance you use? Once I build up my numbers and hours I plan to insure myself although I may wait til my insurance is up for renewal anyway!

green puppy
31-07-2011, 10:38 AM
I don't drive and we walk everywhere or go by bus further afield, sometimes go in another cm's car. My mindees are now currently all 3 but have been walking since they were 2. 3 days I have 3 of them and 2 days I have all 4 of them. Never found it a problem getting a bus or walking even when they were under 2.

gigglinggoblin
31-07-2011, 10:40 AM
I have business insurance but rarely use the car, I just like to know I can if I want and occasionally plan days out with it. In September I have one more child than car seats so have to decide whether to buy another or just not use it, where to store it is going to be the deciding factor! It is perfectly ok not to use the car but look into how much it is if you are thinking about it, mine didnt cost any more at all, it just limited the number of companies willing to insure me. If you are not due for renewal yet most of them charge an admin fee to change things (which I think it really mean but thats another thread)

Monkey26
31-07-2011, 10:44 AM
Yes! Living down here in Devon i find it a massive advantage, especially during the school holidays when i have 6 kids - it means we can access places further away like the zoo (45 minutes), the aquarium (1 hour), donkey sanctuary (40 minutes) or even just tesco (10-15 minutes!) - it also means i can do double school runs during term time as, despite the time it takes to get all the kids in the car, i can still get up to another school for its slightly later finish time which i wouldn't be able to do if walking. Oh and when its bucketing it down right at school run time... ;-)

When we are staying local i do prefer to walk and all my mindees have very good road sense (and it helps my figure!).

The disadvantage to driving - buying and storing all the car seats, insurance premiums (i'm under 25 and drive a seven seater...!), kids wanting to sit in the 'boot'!!

Enjoy childminding :) xx

samb
31-07-2011, 09:26 PM
I was the same as you - I started childminding and chose not to use my car. I had only just renewed car insurance when my cert came through too! So now I have been minding a year I decided if the price wasn't too much more I would insure it "just in case". Well, I have gone with Morton Michel - they were £50 a year cheaper than paying my old company for fully comp but social and pleasure use only! It was a done deal for me!

I would not have bothered if it was much more because I have not found I needed it. The kids are used to walking now, I have a single and double buggy and a buggy board as well as reins if needed. As well as good wellies and a rain coat! I plan activities that we can access on foot or public transport etc. I would not pay the extra admin charge for changing in the middle of a policy. Personally, I would wait and see what it is like for you to not use the car and if when your insurance is up for renewal you want to change then do it then.

The parents appreciate the children walking too as to be honest they don't get to walk much with them.

tulip0803
01-08-2011, 12:50 AM
When I first registered I lived in the centre of town and walked everywhere. I moved to the countryside and now have to drive because there are no footpaths on my road and the traffic travels in excess of the speed limit most of the time.:( . We are on a long list to have a footpath installed then at least I can walk to and from school.

Wedo use he bus sometimes but they are infrequent and only go in two directions. My local little town has a horrendous bus service from my village so better to drive

bluebell3
01-08-2011, 06:10 AM
Thank you - I will wait for my insurance to renew and look into it then. I only have temporary holiday mindees at the moment so it would be nice to take the out on day trips but I can't justify the cost when they are part-time as it is mainly the administration fee that makes the insurance costly! I have plenty within walking distance and plenty of activities and resources at home so I don't feel too worried but I know many of the other minders have nice trips out!

Dragonfly
01-08-2011, 06:19 AM
Yes my husband up the wall :laughing: no I dont drive and it has never been a problem.

Roseolivia
01-08-2011, 06:24 AM
I drive which i need to as we live in a small village and we have no bus.