PDA

View Full Version : Calpol new dosage

Twinklestars
30-07-2011, 07:27 PM
Bought some calpol today and they told me that dosage recommendations have now changed, for my 19 month old it'd now 5ml instead of 10ml, checked the calpol website and it says not to worry til the packets are changed!

Just thought I'd let everyone know the dosages had changed in case you're using yours up for a while and miss it

jayjay1963
30-07-2011, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the info, will go and label my bottle with the new dosages:)

Jacqui

Mollymop
30-07-2011, 08:54 PM
Oh interesting thanks for that!:)
I think we should continue to carry on and administer the dosage which is stated on our bottles until we get a newly stated dosage bottle of Calpol to cover ourselves! x

Twinklestars
30-07-2011, 09:28 PM
Oh interesting thanks for that!:)
I think we should continue to carry on and administer the dosage which is stated on our bottles until we get a newly stated dosage bottle of Calpol to cover ourselves! x

Just wasn't sure how we'd stand if we gave them the dose on the current bottles but it was against recommendations if anything were to happen?

Cazz
31-07-2011, 12:15 AM
So what age does 5ml dosage only go up to now?

My daughter is nearly 4 and I usually give her 10ml if she needs some.

This is obviously like the cough medicines - you can still pick up bottles off the shelf in the chemist that say you on the label you can give them to small children, yet if you ask the pharmacist they'll refer to their list and they won't sell it to you for a young child. This is because "the packaging hasn't been changed yet!" - this has been the case for quite a while.

Either they're safe or they're not - but everyone should have the same information!

singingcactus
31-07-2011, 08:34 AM
Good to hear. This is the most over used and abused medicine. It's crazy how often people give it to kids, and for the most odd reasons, and always at the maximum does, rather than the minimum. I'm not surprised they are having to change the dose, just to protect the poor kids who keep getting fed paracetamol way too often.

Cammie Doodle
31-07-2011, 10:53 AM
Good to hear. This is the most over used and abused medicine. It's crazy how often people give it to kids, and for the most odd reasons, and always at the maximum does, rather than the minimum. I'm not surprised they are having to change the dose, just to protect the poor kids who keep getting fed paracetamol way too often.

I totally agree with this comment

onceinabluemoon
31-07-2011, 03:55 PM
More info here: http://www.calpol.co.uk/parental-help-and-advice/how-to-give-medicines

love381
31-07-2011, 08:52 PM

Me too! Totally agree!!!

My sister went through a stage of giving my nephew everything she could find if he got the tiniest bit ill. It was difficult because he had become so poorly when he was a few days old and it was touch and go, so I could understand her concern (Dr's told her that in the beginning a mere cold could put him back in hospital, so to be careful!!) I'm not kidding, he's had everything you can imagine!!! He's even become immune to some medication - the Dr's have said that he could probably drink it and it would have no effect on his body, however they obviously don't advise it!!!

Me, on the other hand, I try my best NOT to give medicine to my children!! So many people just pile in the medication when it's not necessary. There are times when my children do NEED medication, and I won't deprive them of it then, but when it's not necessary, I just don't give it!!! At the minute, two of my children have a cough and have had a mild temperature with it!! Neither have had any medication, as it's not been necessary. Both of the children have eaten well, slept well and just played normally really, so what's the need!!! Did you know that almost all cough medicines that you can buy at the shops etc DO NOT make your cough any better or make you recover any quicker!?!?!?!?!?!? The medication is for soothing the effects of coughing (if it's hurting your chest/keeping you awake, etc)!

x

crazyhazy
31-07-2011, 09:06 PM
so what are the new dosage instructions then?

I always give the min dosage rather than the max, so my own girls are 2.5y and 4.5y but I still generally give 5ml. There's been a couple of occassions in the last few months where the eldest one was quite poorly with high temp and I gave 10ml but don't do it as standard. My reasoning being the dosages are based on average weights and both my girls are very light for their ages so I'd rather under dose than over and generally the 5ml does the job.

Cazz
31-07-2011, 11:32 PM

I must stress when I said I usually give my daughter 10ml it's not very often at all - only when absolutely necessary.

I'm definetly not a pill popper - it's a last resort for me to take anything and I've been like it with my own children unless they are obviously in a lot of pain or discomfort - I can't sit back and watch my children suffer.

I do know what you mean - I worked with someone a few years ago who gave her young children so much medicine that it obviously wasn't doing anything for them any more and they were regularly at the doctors for something different. Maximum amounts of Calpol AND Infant Nurofen (or something like that) alternating every 2 hours quite regularly :eek: The children weren't good at settling at bedtime so she would dose them up as she was convinced it would make them sleep! You couldn't tell her otherwise.

angeldelight
02-08-2011, 07:57 AM
Thanks for the info

Angel xx

Tink
02-08-2011, 08:22 AM
Thank you for theinformation, if it wasn't for this forum I wouldn't get to know anything!!

miffy
02-08-2011, 09:01 AM
Thanks for the info (and the link OIABM) - I hadn't heard anything about this.

Miffy xx

kindredspirits
02-08-2011, 10:10 AM
I had an 18 month old mindee that would actually tantrum for medicine! Her mum (a nurse none the less) used to give her calpol every night just in case she woke up and wouldn't go back to sleep :rolleyes: and any time the child cried for more than 5 mins she would get a dose of calpol 'just in case' she was in pain. At 18 months old this child would scream blue murder if you even said 'no' with a smile on your face - and she would go and go and go for hours on end, until you got the medicine spoon out and then she'd stop!
In the end I used to give her water on the medicine spoon to stop her crying after a few hours of non-stop screaming!
Mum even told me not to worry about waiting 4 hours between doses if she needed it as it wouldn't do her any harm!!!!! :( :panic:

mushpea
02-08-2011, 11:37 AM
I dont keep calpol here as mine are too old for it now,, I only give it if the parent brings some and then I stick to what it says on the packet.