PDA

View Full Version : panic quick fees question!

jadavi
30-07-2011, 10:04 AM
A piece about me is in today's paper so I'm hoping for some cals... and realised I'm still unsure about before and after school minding fees. Does a flat £10 fee before and after sound OK?

cheers

boxtree7
30-07-2011, 10:14 AM
it would depend if you are offering snacks or tea .... the school next to me is 9.00 till 5.45 but with only a snack.

Goatgirl
30-07-2011, 11:00 AM
Hi :),
Congratulations on getting yourself in the paper, hope it does generate some business :thumbsup:

I charge £3.75 as my hourly rate and have a limited number of before and after school places so I base my fees on what I need to earn from the places and how much it costs me in resources.

I currently work 7.30 till drop off (which I count as 9am, though it may be anything from 8.30). For this I have been charging an hourly rate, dependent on hours needed but from September I will be charging £6 for the morning session even if they only need me from 8am. Its not worth the hassle otherwise. For the afternoon I work 3 til 5.30 at normal hourly rate then double hourly rate after that, so to keep things simpler for the one mindee who wants to stay till 6 I charge that family £4 an hour = £12 a session. This gives the family a slight discount and removes the headache for me of working out the fiddly bits at invoice time :D

I have one mindee starting who only needs before and after school for one hour 3 days a week. He is taking up a place that could generate 5 days a week income of over £65 a week, so I have offered the hours they want at an enhanced rate of £5 hour as a compromise.

This age group are often quite heavy on use of craft resources etc. Then there's the hassle of getting all the children to and from school in all weathers, having to interrupt naps etc... I usually find they eat quite alot too : i don't do tea, but offer a substantial snack - fruit followed by yoghurt, followed by toast/sandwich if they're still hungry.

Ahem, so yes your way does sound much simpler than mine :rolleyes: but I'd make sure you're asking enough per session to make it financially and practically worth while, but not so much you're pricing yourself out of the local market :thumbsup:

Good luck, hope you get lots of calls :)

best wishes,
Wendy :)

gigglinggoblin
30-07-2011, 11:03 AM
I would have a flat fee but different for before and after, after could be 3 hours, before is likely to be half that. Unless you mean for both? I would keeop them separate anyway. Decide if food is included too. Do you know how much is the going rate locally? Have a google. Fingers crossed for lots of calls!

jadavi
30-07-2011, 11:54 AM
Thanks you both so much this helped a lot.

I'm going for £3.50 hourly 8 till 5, £5 after and before those times
and I finally wrote 'school pickups and drop offs to be negotiated termly' so I can see what is involved with each family.

Thanks again and fingers crossed. I've now seen the article and I'm really happy with it. My worry now is that I'll try and say yes to everyone and end up stressing out.... I'd much prefer to build up slowly but not sure if I dare say no....

cheers
jac