PDA

View Full Version : a swearing 2yo

Helen Dempster
29-07-2011, 06:00 PM
Hello. Unfortunately, my 2yo mindee has picked up the phrase "for f*** sake" off his daddy :eek: Until today I had never heard him say it while at my house, but we had a trip out to a farm today that was quite a way in the car and as he'd picked this phrase up while his dad was driving, I think he associates it with being in the car!! He was repeating it over and over. I tried ignoring him, I tried telling him no and it's not nice to say and I also tried saying "milkshake" every time he said it (it's the first thing that popped into my head) :blush: thinking I could somehow get him saying that instead. All to no avail. I had my 2 DS's in the car (the 13yo thought it was very funny, but bless him hid this well and stifled his laughs behind his hand!!!) and 5yo just didn't "get" it (thankfully).

Has anyone has this before and if so what did you do?

love381
29-07-2011, 06:39 PM
Perhaps dad gets angry at other drivers etc and that's why he associates it with the car. Perhaps singing songs that he knows will take his mind off it! This is the only thing I've found that works - a complete trail of thought change. I did find it takes a while to do, constant nursery rhymes on every journey is not easy, but it worked. Plus, mum came about 6 weeks later and said it was nice to hear x singing y in the car today - and I thought to myself 'you must've said it!! hehe'.

Trying to replace the word won't work unless dad is also saying 'milkshake' when he's frustrated in his car!! Saying it's not nice to say that word I've found doesn't matter to the child - they are either too young to fully understand that the words are not nice or they think it's funny to use 'not nice' words.

HTH x

appleblossom
29-07-2011, 07:56 PM
This reminds me of my DD! (now 24). Her Dad used to say "sh**" a lot, especially when driving When she started copying him we used to say "sheep"? Where are they, I can't see any sheep." She soon dropped it.