PDA

View Full Version : Authority to act on behalf of...

buzzy bee
29-07-2011, 12:44 PM
One of my children is picked up and dropped off by grandparents, so in order for me to be able to get the grandparents sign permission forms and accident forms etc, I've been told I need to do an "Authority to act on behalf of" form...

I'm just wondering if anyone has an example of one of these that you've used for me to have a look at, because I don't really know what to do!

Thank you :thumbsup:

sarah707
29-07-2011, 01:53 PM
As far as I understand contracts etc are only legally binding if the person who signs them has legal contact with or parental responsibility for the child.

So that includes parents or anyone who has been to court to get guardianship or social services in the case of a looked after child etc.

I would check it out with a solicitor or legal bod before you do anything which might mean someone without proper authority gives you permission to do something which they are not legally allowed to authorise you to do...

Does that make sense? :laughing: It does in my head :D

FussyElmo
29-07-2011, 04:20 PM
Are they just being picked up by the grandparents because of parents working, if so just send any permission forms home to be signed and Im sure that it is ok for them to sign the accident book :)

buzzy bee
29-07-2011, 04:33 PM
As far as I understand contracts etc are only legally binding if the person who signs them has legal contact with or parental responsibility for the child.

So that includes parents or anyone who has been to court to get guardianship or social services in the case of a looked after child etc.

I would check it out with a solicitor or legal bod before you do anything which might mean someone without proper authority gives you permission to do something which they are not legally allowed to authorise you to do...

Does that make sense? :laughing: It does in my head :D

Thanks Sarah...

The parents have signed the contract and permission forms, but say I decide one morning I'm going to take the children to the farm, and his granny drops him off, she signs the permission for to say I can take him... mum is fine with this but someone told me that I need to get her to put it in writing that on these occasions granny can sign permission. And they said it's called "Authority to act on behalf of" !

sarah707
29-07-2011, 05:41 PM
Why not change your standard permissions so that you can take children on bigger outings such as to the farm, zoo etc with a phone call or text to inform parents that you are going out rather than signed permission on the day?

That way you are keeping parents informed without worrying about getting a signature at a busy time :D

love381
29-07-2011, 06:33 PM
Why not change your standard permissions so that you can take children on bigger outings such as to the farm, zoo etc with a phone call or text to inform parents that you are going out rather than signed permission on the day?

That way you are keeping parents informed without worrying about getting a signature at a busy time :D

That's what I've done! I had hassle with people forgetting the permission forms they'd taken home to read. 2 dropped at the door and mum rushing away on phone and driving off before I could even put a word in at all and she needed to sign for that day's trip!!

My permissions have a section for any soft play centre, any short walk within our local area, any playpark within our local area etc - those normal short ones. Then I have a section for other outings and have the ones we do the most, Legoland Discovery, Strawberry picking, Zoo etc!!

That way I can change my mind for a trip out if the weather is horrendous and also just suddenly decide we are going somewhere if the mood takes us!!!

buzzy bee
29-07-2011, 07:56 PM
Okay thanks, I'll do that :thumbsup:

What about accident forms - can granny sign those?

FussyElmo
29-07-2011, 08:07 PM
Yes according to this information sheet from ofsted

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/factsheet-childcare-serious-accidents-injuries-and-deaths-registered-providers-must-notify-ofsted-an

Rickysmiths linked to this yesterday and I thought it was useful and it answers this question on page 7 :thumbsup: