PDA

View Full Version : Dont know what to do!

Cinders65
29-07-2011, 09:16 AM
Hi,
Ive been childminding for a year now and have only just been "ticking over" money wise!
A few weeks ago I had an enquiry and visit from someone wanting a place for a 2yr old, obv I agreed as I had places.
They came and I felt uneasy as the visit went on, child has been to 3 nurseries, had 2 others caring for her and not "worked out" They openly say the child is "needy" and she quite obv runs rings round her parents.
They have asked me to take her and Im dreading it! Mum has been on further visits and inundated me with texts (10pm) and emails with various questions.
Mum is very anxious on how this child will be being left, so much so she wants to stay for all her taster sessions (defeats the point I think?)
Shes making me feel anxious as well now and wishing I had said no to her!
Im dragging my feet doing contracts as I just have a bad "vibe"

She wants to start in Sept. Now I dont know what to do! Shall I try a 4 weeks trial period or just say sorry I cant do it now?
Im not sure how I would be saying that im not continuing after the trial period.

Maybe she will settle down and child will be fine, but I have a horrible feeling and its playing on my mind.
I do need more children as finances are dire, but not sure if the money is worth it if Im going to feel like I do.
Sorry if this is long and waffly! :blush:

Pipsqueak
29-07-2011, 09:25 AM
This is what a settling in period is for.

I think you need to be firm with ground rules with the child AND parent. Be confident but friendly, be firm but kind (and consistent).....

be honest with yourself but give yourself a chance to...

I am a great believer in trusting your gut instinct (well I am nowadays!!) - give it a shot but if that niggling feeling won't go away or gets bigger..... ditch the family (several other settings indicate this could be a problem..... although you could be THE one!)

AliceK
29-07-2011, 11:11 AM
I would give it a go and see what happens making sure you have the immediate termination in settling in period in your contract. Be firm with mum. You find it easier for the children if parents do a short drop-off and this includes during the settling in sessions. Apart from this you're not insured to allow parents to hang around are you ;) . If mum texts you late at night for any reason just don't reply until the following morning saying something along the lines of you don't check your work phone after 8pm or similar. She'll soon get the msg. Start as you mean to go on with both mother and child.

xxxx

rickysmiths
29-07-2011, 11:29 AM
I would trust my instinct and walk away from it. If you are dreading it now and you haven't even signed Contracts then don't.

Don't feel bad about it either. You are running a business and you have as much right at an interview to say 'no I'm sorry I can't offer you a place', as the parents have to say 'Sorry we don't want to use your cm services'. You must never loose sight of that.

jaja
29-07-2011, 11:29 AM
Its worth doing 4 weeks settling in to see what happens and if all settels, i have a family once who were very over the top but time, reasurrance, and patience it worked out ok, remember every child and every family is different what works for one maynot work for another, plus every childminder, every environment is different too. give it a go you always have the 4 weeks to get out if needed xxxxx

blue bear
29-07-2011, 11:36 AM
I had one like this, turned out best parent ever once things settled in.

pinky33
29-07-2011, 12:03 PM
We have a set of parents who's demands were so silly.
Please put a cactus on your windowsill as there is a mobile phone mast nearby was the silliest.

We just kept ignoring the request by changing the subject lol

They have so far a year along been great people to work with but we did do 6 weeks settling in just in case.

jane5
29-07-2011, 12:57 PM
I would do a 6 week settling in period and then decide, especially as you need the money at the moment.

Maybe the mum will be different with you and not so demanding because the other settings have "not worked out".

As other have said be firm from the start, maybe let her stay at 1 settling in session but tell her she has to leave her for the others.

This may work out great so go for it and if it doesn't terminate the contract :thumbsup:

Cinders65
30-07-2011, 12:50 PM
Thanks all!

They are on hols and then I am away, meaning she wont see me for 3 weeks before starting (something else that Mum wasnt happy about)
They have already been twice for an hour and a half each time, and Mum stayed.
Shes coming next week for an "official" session and I WILL get Mum out ASAP!
Ive decided to stick to my 4 week settling in period and will do the contract before they go away.

Isnt it just sods law tho, since I posted this Ive had 3 enquiries all from recommended people all wanting the same as this child wants!
Maybe if I would have known this I would have said no after the initial visit.

Thanks again, and I will let you know how it goes! :)