PDA

View Full Version : Sterilising plates etc and Environmental Health visit

gigglinggoblin
28-07-2011, 02:43 PM
First of all I was wondering if anyone has had 2 environmental health visits? I had my first just after I registered and was told I was unlikely to get another visit but would get a questionairre through the post. This morning I got a phone call and the inspector said I was now on the inspection register and he needed to come out again. He said he wants to check peperwork to make sure I am checking temperatures etc. I have the safer food for childminders pack and know I dont have to record fridge temps, does anyone keep a record of food temps?

At the last inspection I was advised that as I didnt have a dishwasher I should use milton to sterilise all the stuff I use for mindees of any age. Parents thought this was mad and I havent been bothering but has anyone else been told to do this? Am rather surprised at getting a visit and said he could come in September as I am not working over hols, am getting parnanoid that maybe I was doing something wrong and thats why he is coming out. I did have the longest visit I have ever heard of and he was more thorough than any other inspector any one has mentioned so maybe its just that (hoping so!)

AliceK
28-07-2011, 03:04 PM
Not sure about having 2 visits sorry. Sounds a bit odd? I do record my fridge temps on my daily safety check sheet but my inspector never even asked me if I record them never mind asked to see them.

xxxx

rickysmiths
28-07-2011, 03:56 PM
Poor you. I have never heard of washing plates etc in Milton what a load of nonsence. If they are washed in hot soapy water and left to air dry they should be fine.

Fridge Temps is difficult. I have a fridge and freezer that has a digital display but they still advise having thermometers in each. The Better food folder requires that you record any significant changes and what you have done to rectify them. I read this that it is more than sufficient for me to check the themometers each day and if the temps are ok I don't need to record it.

sarah707
28-07-2011, 05:38 PM
Childminders need to follow the requirements of the Safer Food better business for childminders pack.

There is nothing about sterilising plates.

I suggest you get hold of the pack before the inspector calls and check what you do and do not need to do so you can challenge anything else that is said.

Hth :D

gigglinggoblin
28-07-2011, 09:34 PM
Feel much better after reading replies, thank you. I have a fridge thermometer and check it but dont record, I dont have a freezer one but will look into that now.

I do have the pack and cant find anything about sterilising either. He also told me to never take children to a farm as its too risky. My new starter lives on one, maybe I will have to sterilise her at the door!

rickysmiths
28-07-2011, 09:36 PM
Feel much better after reading replies, thank you. I have a fridge thermometer and check it but dont record, I dont have a freezer one but will look into that now.

I do have the pack and cant find anything about sterilising either. He also told me to never take children to a farm as its too risky. My new starter lives on one, maybe I will have to sterilise her at the door!

:eek: Sounds like a bit of a nutter to me I wonder what your local farms would have to say if they knew he was giving out this sort of info. I would show him my robust RA for visiting the local farm.

The Juggler
29-07-2011, 07:14 AM

what has outings got to do with environmental health inspectors, they are there to examine our food preparation and storage standards not our ability to RA our outings. :panic: :panic: I don't have a dishwasher either hon and I'm not about to sterlise my plates:panic:

Bitsy Beans
29-07-2011, 07:20 AM
what has outings got to do with environmental health inspectors, they are there to examine our food preparation and storage standards not our ability to RA our outings. :panic: :panic: I don't have a dishwasher either hon and I'm not about to sterlise my plates:panic:

Me neither :eek:

christine e
29-07-2011, 07:46 AM
If you are a member of NCMA I would suggest you get in touch with them because they are very interested in local issues like this or get in touch with your development worker as they are there to support you with this sort of thing

Cx

gigglinggoblin
29-07-2011, 10:29 AM
I think he is quite well known round here for being thorough, someone told me he was involved in the research into listeria during pregnancy so he is obviously very interested in the subject and very passionate! I did some microbiology at Uni so I guess I am fairly well equipped to deal with him, I am just annoyed that I am having another inspection which is in the first week after my kids go back to school - in fact the first day I will have to myself when my youngest starts school, was really looking forward to some me time! My first inspection was over 2 hours long, I checked it wuoldnt be like that again and he said no so thats something at least.

I do have a great risk assessment for farms and I know the place that was advised against using eggs still did so I wont be the only one going against advice. I am going to ask why I have been inspected again when I was told I wouldnt be and I dont know anyone else who has, hopefully this will be the last time if I am a bit grumpy lol

Playmate
29-07-2011, 11:46 AM
:eek: Sounds like a bit of a nutter to me I wonder what your local farms would have to say if they knew he was giving out this sort of info. I would show him my robust RA for visiting the local farm.

Absolute nutter :laughing: brush up on your micro biology and challenge his every word and send him round to me when you have finished with him :laughing:

My dishwasher gave up the ghost 2 months ago and at the moment we can't afford to replace. We provide 3 meals a day for all our mindees (between 6 and 9 of them) and there is no way I'm going to be sterilizing in milton. I don't even do it for babies over 6 months. Ive been minding 18 years and to my knowledge have never caused anyone to be ill, infact it is rare that we have D&V at all in this house. What a load of tosh!