PDA

View Full Version : Lap belts??

sarah sunflower
28-07-2011, 09:55 AM
Just been to see a new car but it has a lap belt in the middle.

What's the rules with putting kids on them?!

I know you can buy car seats for younger ones that fit with a lap belt but what ones are best??

And also can you use booster seats with them?

Ahh

X

QualityCare
28-07-2011, 10:19 AM
Q: I have 3 children, but the middle rear passenger seat only has a lap belt. Should 1 child travel in the front seat with a 3-point belt even though there is an airbag?

A: It is difficult to say conclusively which is the safer option and ultimately it will be a question of personal choice influenced by the age and size of your children and whether they are using child restraints.

It is safer for a child to use a 3-point belt than a lap-only belt but the rear passenger seats are safer than the front seat. Some child restraints (mostly group 1 seats) can be fitted using the lap belt only - check the manufacturers' fitting instructions. If you do have to put a child in the front seat, put the tallest/heaviest child in the front. If there is an airbag, make sure the passenger seat is rolled back as far as possible, that the child seat is very securely fitted and the child is securely held by the harness or seat belt.

If you do have to put a child in a seat with a lap belt, put the tallest/heaviest child in this seat, and make sure the lap belt is worn correctly - across the top of your child's thighs and around their hips, not across their stomach.

Copied and pasted from Child Car Seats and The Law.

I would ring your insurers and see what they say, also rewrite your car policy to say you would be using the lap belt for some children.

AliceK
28-07-2011, 12:05 PM
Personally I would not use a lap belt for a child in a booster seat. I've heard so many bad things about injuries caused to children (and adults) using just lapbelts. My Zafira has a lapbelt in the middle and I use a Britax Prince in that seat as it can fit safely with the lapbelt and it's narrow so leaves room either side for other seats. As a parent I would not be happy to let my children travel using a lapbelt I would rather they travelled in the front seat with the seat pushed as far back as possible. Just my opinion though.

xxx

Zumba-mum
28-07-2011, 12:54 PM
I too wouldn't use a lap belt unless in was a short ride and it was a older child. I might be wrong but babies/ toddlers are not aloud in the front if the air bag can't be switched off. Hope you can find the right answer. :)

loocyloo
28-07-2011, 01:46 PM
I too wouldn't use a lap belt unless in was a short ride and it was a older child. I might be wrong but babies/ toddlers are not aloud in the front if the air bag can't be switched off. Hope you can find the right answer. :)

you must not put a rear facing baby seat in the front if the airbag can't be turned off, but as long as you are using a suitable & appropriate restraint, any child can sit in the front seat, but the seat must be as far back as it can go.

i have a fisher price seat ( made by britax ;) ) that uses a lapbelt to secure it. it seems more secure using the lapbelt, than it is when using the usual 3 point seatbelt!

happydays1
28-07-2011, 01:48 PM
Hi if the air bag cant be turned off then a child under the age of 12 (and a certain weight/ height but cant remember what sorry:blush: ) cannot sit in the front seat. I am sure i saw somewhere that a little unknown fact it is against the law.

If i am wrong then thats what i tell my own kids :blush: as i think they are much safer in the back.

AliceK
28-07-2011, 02:39 PM
You can def put any age child in the front seat, the only exception is if the airbag cannot be turned off then you can't put a rear facing baby seat in the front but other than that any other age can legally sit in the front, in the correct car seat of course.

xxx

sarah sunflower
28-07-2011, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Im off to mothercare at weekend to get a britax seat to go in middle.

I have a fisher price one but can't find the instructions to see if you can use it with a lap belt. But just going to buy a new car seat anyway!! :)

sarah sunflower
28-07-2011, 03:44 PM
you must not put a rear facing baby seat in the front if the airbag can't be turned off, but as long as you are using a suitable & appropriate restraint, any child can sit in the front seat, but the seat must be as far back as it can go.

i have a fisher price seat ( made by britax ;) ) that uses a lapbelt to secure it. it seems more secure using the lapbelt, than it is when using the usual 3 point seatbelt!

I have a fisher price one but not sure if you can just use lap belt with it

gegele
28-07-2011, 03:45 PM
Personally I would not use a lap belt for a child in a booster seat. I've heard so many bad things about injuries caused to children (and adults) using just lapbelts. My Zafira has a lapbelt in the middle and I use a Britax Prince in that seat as it can fit safely with the lapbelt and it's narrow so leaves room either side for other seats. As a parent I would not be happy to let my children travel using a lapbelt I would rather they travelled in the front seat with the seat pushed as far back as possible. Just my opinion though.

xxx

same here. i do push the front seat at the max and usually put my own child at front when needed.