PDA

View Full Version : 9 year old and chicken!

love381
28-07-2011, 07:49 AM
I've recently started looking after a 9 year old boy and an 11 year old girl that tend to behave fairly well and don't seem to get too bored (which is what I was worried about in the first place).

The 9 year old only eats bananas, crisps, chicken breast and yorkshire puddings and WILL NOT eat another thing at all. I made a chicken dinner, but he would not eat some of the chicken that had 'touched' the veg!!

Any ideas, please!! x

moogster1a
28-07-2011, 08:38 AM
Put what you're eating in front of him and then take it away after you've all finished eating if he hasn't touched it. Don't offer pudding or snacks. He won't starve himself and you'll be doing him a favour getting him out of the habit!
In my experience it takes about 3 meals for them to get over fussiness; you have to be firm though. One pece of toast etc. and your hard wok is undone!

love381
28-07-2011, 08:43 AM
I don't think he would just start eating what we would eat! He goes all day at school without eating much at all and then sometimes went to after school club until 6 and then he'd go home and have his 4 bags of crisps for dinner as mum 'can't really be bothered fussing' (her words!).

It's a difficult one, but I'm looking at maybe trying chicken sandwich or something like that. Not sure he'll be keen. I don't think he's fussy in that he doesn't want to, he really just does not like the taste/texture. x

moogster1a
28-07-2011, 09:03 AM
I really wouldn't indulge him. If he wants to hold out for his mum to give him crisps after he goes home then that's up to her really. At your house, I'd say he eats your food. Apart from which it'll cost you a fortune giving him chicken breast every day. Honestly, just be firm. If he really won't eat, offer him tiny portions so you're not wasting food.
It's mum that's causing the problem letting him fill up on crisps.

love381
28-07-2011, 09:11 AM
I agree that it's mum who's allowing it to happen, but according to the 11 year old it's been happening since he was about 5 years old (I think about the time she split with their dad!) and I think it's a very difficult thing to change!!

My husband would only eat dry cornflakes, turkey burgers, scampi, chips and Mild Cheddar Cheese when we got together!!! That WAS a total nightmare and although he still won't eat many 'wet' things like soup and stew etc, he's MUCH better!!! x

FussyElmo
28-07-2011, 09:22 AM
Seeing as he is 9 and been like this for about 4 years this isnt going to be fixed overnight.

Try getting him involved into the preparation of the food - sometimes they are more likely to eat something they have made.
Perserverance is going to be the key here like it was with your dh :thumbsup:

QualityCare
28-07-2011, 10:03 AM
I agree you are not going to 'change' him over night especially as you have no back up from home. I have an 18yr old who dislikes the taste and texture of food, he doesn't even eat junk food only hawaain pizza from pizza hut. He will not eat food that touches another so l can understand your mindee l would give him chicken every day with a tiny amount of something else on the other side of the plate pasta no sauce, bread, veg, cheese etc my son doesn't like gravy on foods, suggest he trys but don't pressurize him, praise him when he does. Build up his confidence with food so that he might try a meal without chicken.

Babycat
28-07-2011, 10:09 AM
Try getting him involved into the preparation of the food - sometimes they are more likely to eat something they have made.
Perserverance is going to be the key here like it was with your dh :thumbsup:

I was going to suggest this I hated food touch when younger. Perhaps do 1 meal where children serve themselves, you can show them serving utensils, give help and advice on portions and whats good for them. Do you eat woth them? you could be a role model. The other thing perhaps serve mindees with stuff seperate on plate like veggies in a ramakin (so?) so you are still giving and encouraging but meeting his needs. Id agree with not offering anything else above the meal you are serving but do your best to help with the food anxiety.

love381
29-07-2011, 08:36 AM
He's only here a few days a week, so we'll see how it goes! He does seem to have an actual fear of other foods - he wouldn't pass me a plate with wraps on incase he touched them!

x

LChurch
29-07-2011, 09:00 AM
Hi

What is his speech like? I only ask as somtimes it can affect speech if he is not eating a variety of foods. I know that OT can help with various exercises if this is a problem with textures in his mouth but it does sound a bit more complicated than that. I worked in an SLI school as an IT technician. Are the parents concerned at all or just give in to him as it is easier? I would see if you can get in touch with OT's and see if they can give you any advice, explain you are a childminder and are concerned about a child and is there anything you can do to help etc and what advice would they give if it needed to be looked at further.

Some children do have phobias about foods etc. I know when I was little I was forcefed brussel sprouts(won't go into medical reasons), they were disguised in all sorts of ways! I couldn't even look at them in the shops without feeling sick when I was in my teens and twenties although not that bad now!

There may be a reason why he has these phobias and it might take a bit of time to get to the bottom of it. Hope you manage to though.

blue bear
29-07-2011, 11:29 AM
I cared for a child with a food phobia, she was referred to a psychologist and under went treatment, the advise was to give what she was not frightened of but offer another food agreed by child to try at every meal, same new food at each meal. Took months to get her to eat the tiniest bit if toast.

To be honest if mum is not onside you could be doing more harm than good forcing the issue if it is a real food phobia, medical advise should be sought in the first instance. Other than that just give him what he eats but always be prepared to let him try something new if he asks to.