PDA

View Full Version : What makes a good assistant?

dobby
27-07-2011, 10:30 PM
Hi Everyone, I am starting to think about how to recruit the assistant that I will need in the new year to accomodate the third sibling arrival from my current parents.

Unfortunately i do not have any friends or family that are able or willing to help out so will need to advertise. I therefore need to think about writing out a job description and person specification - and just thinking about it has got me stumped!!:panic:

So what makes a good assisitant? And what are the key things that should be in the job description?

Has anyone got something i could take a look at or can point me in the right direction? I would be very grateful!

Thanks all.

Pauline
28-07-2011, 06:59 AM
I think the biggest requirement would be to be reliable. If they don't turn up you could end up in a very difficult position in that you would have to be cancelling children because you would be over your numbers to work alone.

You don't want someone who will just call in sick because they can't be bothered that day!

Twinkle-Toes
28-07-2011, 08:16 AM
I'd say an obvious one (might even be a bit offensive to put it actually???) would be a genuine love/tolerance of kids?? lol

I'd say keep the ad quite brief if you have enough time to 'interview' several people and just wait until you meet them.

karensmart4
28-07-2011, 08:26 AM
Able to use own initiative.

In other words, can just get on with it and not have to wait to be asked to do something, thats one of my priorities along with good time keeping :)

Polly2
28-07-2011, 09:57 AM
Does this help at all?

just noticed there are a couple of spelling errors :blush:

dobby
28-07-2011, 11:04 AM
Polly thats really useful, Thanks - makes me feel tired now realising all that we do :laughing:

Keep em coming folks, they might be obvious sometimes but I know when it comes to writing it all down it will be the obvious ones that I will forget!:blush:

Oh and another question, when do you think I should start advertising? I need somebody for January so I was going to start when I returned from my hols end of August/beginning of September? Or is that too soon?

marleymoo
13-08-2011, 03:54 PM
Hi Everyone, I am starting to think about how to recruit the assistant that I will need in the new year to accomodate the third sibling arrival from my current parents.

Unfortunately i do not have any friends or family that are able or willing to help out so will need to advertise. I therefore need to think about writing out a job description and person specification - and just thinking about it has got me stumped!!:panic:

So what makes a good assisitant? And what are the key things that should be in the job description?

Has anyone got something i could take a look at or can point me in the right direction? I would be very grateful!

Thanks all.

could you not contact your FIS and ask if there are any newly registered childminders with no children on roll yet?

marleymoo
13-08-2011, 03:54 PM
Polly thats really useful, Thanks - makes me feel tired now realising all that we do :laughing:

Keep em coming folks, they might be obvious sometimes but I know when it comes to writing it all down it will be the obvious ones that I will forget!:blush:

Oh and another question, when do you think I should start advertising? I need somebody for January so I was going to start when I returned from my hols end of August/beginning of September? Or is that too soon?

never too soon